[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

‘Blurred Lines’ Copyright Suit Against Robin Thicke, Pharrell Ends in $5M Judgment

It’s about time!

Good luck collecting!

I don't care what the judge says. If you played "Got To Give It Up" and then "Blurred Lines" on a piano, you would easily realize they are not the same song or that "Blurred Lines" doesn't resemble "Got To Give It Up" in any sense. I'm with Thicke/Pharrell on this.

Congratulations to the family of Marvin Gaye!

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I don't care what the judge says. If you played "Got To Give It Up" and then "Blurred Lines" on a piano, you would easily realize they are not the same song or that "Blurred Lines" doesn't resemble "Got To Give It Up" in any sense. I'm with Thicke/Pharrell on this.
    I agree. You broke it down beautifully in a previous post; some folks simply don't understand music.

And some folks don’t understand the law.

Woah, that's a lot of money being owed. Personally I don't know if the songs are in any way similar in terms of the actual music / structure etc, but as songs I can hear that they sound alike.

In my humble opinion, the similarities are not in the melody of the song, which is why it cannot be heard on piano. It's more in the background rhythm of the song and tempo. To my ears, they are not identical songs but it is clear to me that Got to Give It Up inspired Blurred Lines and basically borrows/samples from it. That cowbell rhythm [[I think that is what I am hearing in Marvin's song?) is very similar to that in Blurred Lines. Furthermore, in around 3:18 of Marvin's song [[part 1), his background vocal is extremely similar to the "you know you want it" lyrics, featured Blurred Lines. I suppose it is possible to hear a song differently, depending on what you are focusing on, but to me, I am not surprised they won the suit.

...To add on to my post, it is possible that the similarities in Blurred Lines were unintentional. Art inspires new art everyday. Art is cumulative of our experiences and influences. Same applies to music. When someone knowingly and deliberately takes something from a preexisting piece of art or music, then yes, credit is due. In this case, it is arguable that lines are somewhat blurred [[how punny!). It is what it is.

If it walks like a duck, acts like a duck, sounds like a duck chances are it’s a duck.

Its the groove!! The groove is similar and since when is a groove "copyrightable" Bill Withers summed it all up by saying if this is the case then the whole of Rock & Roll owes it to Chuck Berry.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    If it walks like a duck, acts like a duck, sounds like a duck chances are it’s a duck.
    A duck that steals from deceased artists!

Why didn't the MJ estate sue Cee Lo Green for "bright lights bigger city" or S club 7 for "don't stop movin" when both are clearly emulating the groove of Bille Jean... or is it cos they never made enough money to make suing them worthwhile

Quote Originally Posted by alexstassi View Post
    Why didn't the MJ estate sue Cee Lo Green for "bright lights bigger city" or S club 7 for "don't stop movin" when both are clearly emulating the groove of Bille Jean... or is it cos they never made enough money to make suing them worthwhile
    Why did Robin Thicke premptively sue the Gaye Family? He wanted to protect himself in advance because he knew that he stole from Marvin's work. That's why he did it!

You got that right Marv! If Jobete can win publishing for mashed potato time Gaye’s family certainly deserves this!

In that theory, I wonder if there was ever a lawsuit with "Love Hangover". The background vocals of "Love to love you" are clearly a rip from Donna Summer's "Love to Love You Baby?"

Its the groove!! The groove is similar and since when is a groove "copyrightable" Bill Withers summed it all up by saying if this is the case then the whole of Rock & Roll owes it to Chuck Berry.
    That's the best explanation I've heard yet.

I'm just chiming in for the sake of conversation here, hoping to help articulate why people are so up in arms about this. Removing music from it, think about it like this: to say that songs with similar "feel" but different compositional elements are the same is akin saying two people wearing the same outfit are the same person. On the outside they look similar but they are obviously not identical.

Listen to these two versions of "Crazy" that have completely different feel, groove, and instrumentation. However, we recognize they are the same song because of the lyrics, the melody, and the chord progression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N4jf6rtyuw

The lyrics, melody, and chords of "Blurred Lines" and "Got To Give It Up" are different. The parts the instruments are playing are different between the two songs. However, both have the same instrumentation and a similar tempo. Not the same compositional elements. The reason why two different songs will sound different when played on one instrument alone [[piano, guitar, sang acapella, etc) is because those foundational compositional elements are different.

Sam Smith had to add Tom Petty as a writers credit for his hit "Stay With Me" because it had the same Melody and the Chord Progression as Petty's "Won't Back Down." They are two totally different tempos, different instrumentation, use different key centers, and have a different "feel," but Smith did the right thing by settling with Tom Petty because two out of the three of those basic compositional elements [[chords and melody, obviously the lyrics are different) were too similar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr4KbSU_UZw

All that said, it's insane that Robin Thicke preemptively sued the Gaye family. They should have just said publicly that the melody, chords, and lyrics are different and that you can't copyright a "feel" or a particular combination of instruments playing at a particular speed. I think this whole thing would have played out differently if that were the case. If we were still in the doo-wop era, with all of those 12/8 ballads of the time, everyone would be suing everyone for these same reasons.

Lastly, please note that I do think that "Blurred Lines" is a terrible song for a lot of different reasons, I just don't agree that it's infringement.

I agree with the preemptive part.. its like igniting a fuse..

The issue here is once the Gaye's won this suit they then went on say "Happy by Pharrell sounded alot like Aint that Peculiar don't you think?"

Isn't that Smokey to decided AS the composer of that song? Besides i think Happy has more in common with the "feel" of Land of 1000 dances than Ain't that Peculiar.

I agree with the preemptive part.. its like igniting a fuse..

The issue here is once the Gaye's won this suit they then went on say "Happy by Pharrell sounded alot like Aint that Peculiar don't you think?"

Isn't that Smokey to decided AS the composer of that song? Besides i think Happy has more in common with the "feel" of Land of 1000 dances than Ain't that Peculiar.
    Well it's not like they don't have a reason not to trust Robin Thicke..... Listen to this and tell me who this sounds like. He is full of shit!

I'll make it easy for you.........

His name should be Robin THIEF, not Robin Thicke!

Good one! I can’t believe this conversation is continuing. Marv, sometimes u just have to dumb it down!

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Good one! I can’t believe this conversation is continuing. Marv, sometimes u just have to dumb it down!
    I know what you're saying DET. If you ever experienced having your work, something you built up or created from basically scratch basically stolen, then you know how Marvin's family must feel. I know I do. I have experienced it myself.
    Last edited by marv2; 12-14-2018 at 10:04 PM.

Robin and them sued them first. The ruling was fair.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I'll make it easy for you.........

shameless and sickening.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Robin and them sued them first. The ruling was fair.

Yes he did. It is an old legal trick that Al Jolson use to use in the 20s. Sue the person you are about to harm to prevent them from suing you later........

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    shameless and sickening.
    His biggest hit "Lost Without You" was sung in the exact same falsetto style that Marvin Gaye used very effectively on several of his recordings!

Just to throw it out there, it seems there are a few posts here asking, "How could anyone say that Robin copied Marvin?" It's not as if they entered a court room with a simple boom box and played back the song one time and the judge made a decision. I'm sure both sides brought in multiple music experts, analytical sound samples/exhibits, etc, to drive home their points. To me, it's very clear that one song influenced the other, with some identical musical elements shared between them. I also agree that Marvin influenced Robin Thicke's singing style 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by drewschultz88 View Post
    Lastly, please note that I do think that "Blurred Lines" is a terrible song for a lot of different reasons
    Totally agree!

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Just to throw it out there, it seems there are a few posts here asking, "How could anyone say that Robin copied Marvin?" It's not as if they entered a court room with a simple boom box and played back the song one time and the judge made a decision. I'm sure both sides brought in multiple music experts, analytical sound samples/exhibits, etc, to drive home their points. To me, it's very clear that one song influenced the other, with some identical musical elements shared between them. I also agree that Marvin influenced Robin Thicke's singing style 100%.
    I agree Carlo. Also, I believe Robin Thicke is talented, but just lazy! He should develop his own style and creativity. I liked his Dad much better! LOL!

I wonder if Robin is talented. His follow up album bombed.

Comments anyone?

https://youtu.be/4ILn3Y1yNEI

He may not really be talented. He thought he could get over by deceiving the public. He got away with it for a while......

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    That is awful! A clear ripoff of "Got to Give It Up". I want to check to see when it was released. Thanks MikeW-Uk

Bunny's record came out in 1977 the same year as "Got to Give It Up", but months after Marvin's record.

Your not a fan so why do you care? You do love to keep

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    If I remember correctly, I thought I read the judge barred musical experts from coming in to compare the songs on piano. By simply playing the two songs on a piano, it would have been very clear they are nothing alike and the ruling would have favored Thicke. The only thing Thicke stole was the sound of "Got To Give It Up" and that cannot be copyrighted.

Prior to Blurred Lines, Robin had one platinum and two gold albums. His follow up, an admitted departure of his previous work, hit number 6 pop and number 2 r&b on billboard album charts.

‘’Those stats may or may not denote talent, but they are considered successful by anyone’s standards. Many artists never have even one top ten album.

Wasn't this settled already? Merry Cash-mas to those griftin' Gayes!

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    Prior to Blurred Lines, Robin had one platinum and two gold albums. His follow up, an admitted departure of his previous work, hit number 6 pop and number 2 r&b on billboard album charts.

‘’Those stats may or may not denote talent, but they are considered successful by anyone’s standards. Many artists never have even one top ten album.
    Not to mention that Robin is a good singer and song-writer. But, the agenda ...

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Not to mention that Robin is a good singer and song-writer. But, the agenda ...
    Hopefully he'll get smart and be careful about stealing the work of others. He needs to put in the work or go take a seat somewhere.

Exactly. Time to pay some dues and prove it!

If I remember correctly, I thought I read the judge barred musical experts from coming in to compare the songs on piano. By simply playing the two songs on a piano, it would have been very clear they are nothing alike and the ruling would have favored Thicke. The only thing Thicke stole was the sound of "Got To Give It Up" and that cannot be copyrighted.
    Thanks Brad. Hmm that's interesting. I am now curious in regards to the details of the case and how the judge came to his/her conclusion, in light of an absence of testimonies from experts.

Exactly. Time to pay some dues and prove it!
    His reputation has definitely been damaged behind this. He even tried throwing Pharell under the bus!

You're right Brad, I read something similar.

Though in the case of "Million Dollar Baby" for me "plagiarism" is evident https://www.plagiarism.org/article/what-is-plagiarism

Quote Originally Posted by phil View Post
    Though in the case of "Million Dollar Baby" for me "plagiarism" is evident https://www.plagiarism.org/article/what-is-plagiarism
    Except that Marvin Gaye WAS credited as co-writer on "Million Dollar Baby"

Robin Thicke lies around getting high and listening to Marvin Gaye. Then he gets up and re-records Marvin's MUSIC! LOL!!!! Pay 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    Except that Marvin Gaye WAS credited as co-writer on "Million Dollar Baby"
    Thanks Johnny, I didn't know that.