[REMOVE ADS]

In Loving Memory Expanded Edition

I saw on Facebook that "In Loving Memory" Expanded Edition is coming out as a Digital release with 34 tracks.

Does anyone know the release date of this ? Or what the track list will be ? Supposedly there will be 9 unreleased songs on this release. Doesn't sound like it will have the mono version of the original release.

I was also wondering why "In Loving Memory" didn't come out until 1968, when it was in their catalog in 1966 and shown on the inner sleeves starting in 1966?
    Last edited by greg jones; 12-12-2018 at 10:46 PM.

In the Motown Unreleased 1968 thread, Keith Hughes said that the expanded IN LOVING MEMORY would be released this month, but didn't give a specific date or a track listing. I'm assuming it is the original album, along with the tracks from MOTOWN UNRELEASED 1966, plus maybe some newly found tracks. Maybe some more recording was done in 1968? I repeat, I am just assuming.

I don't recall seeing IN LOVING MEMORY on any Motown inner sleeves until circa 1968. The notes in MOTOWN UNRELEASED 1966 says that the album was originally scheduled for a 1966 release, but then producer Harvey Fuqua changed direction and the concept went from small accompaniments to a full orchestra. That might account for the delay of its release and why it has an older catalog #.
    Last edited by reese; 12-13-2018 at 12:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by greg jones View Post
    I saw on Facebook that "In Loving Memory" Expanded Edition is coming out as a Digital release with 34 tracks.

Does anyone know the release date of this ? Or what the track list will be ? Supposedly there will be 9 unreleased songs on this release. Doesn't sound like it will have the mono version of the original release.

I was also wondering why "In Loving Memory" didn't come out until 1968, when it was in their catalog in 1966 and shown on the inner sleeves starting in 1966?
    Also especially since Loucye Gordy Wakefield, Berry Gordy's sister whom the album is in tribute to, passed away in 1965.

In Loving Memory - Expanded Edition is now on Dftmc.info

You beat me to it, Rjacks! Thanks. I think the answers to the questions above are all on the site. I believe we've cleared the Vaults for tracks that relate to this project, and have even included the two previously-issued stereo mixes [[so the total is now 35). Everything else is mono, and for the album we went back to the master tapes, so this isn't just a recycle of the 1995 CD with bonus tracks.

When is this due to be released?

It's on i-Tunes

And on Spotify

And 7digital.com [[US $16.99)

Keith, is there any reason that the 1995 artwork for this was used instead of the original 1968 artwork?

Doesn’t seem to be available anywhere in the UK!!

Still nothing outside of US as yet!

Booty I got it from 7digital yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Polhill View Post
    Booty I got it from 7digital yesterday.
    Do you have the link as I cannot find any reference to this on the UK 7.digitial site

My source was 7digital NZ.When I first entered "In Loving Memory" other titles appeared when I added "expanded" up it came!

Thanks Roger, it is also on Spotify if you search as 'Motown Gospel – In Loving Memory: Expanded Edition' I ordered Motown Gospel 2 CD from Switzerland yesterday, it has a Four Tops track I don't remember, quite good price as well!

I think Motown Gospel 2 is basically the same as the "In Loving Memory" CD so the track by the Four Tops would be "Nobody Knows The Trouble I've Seen".

Keith - why would the stereo release of Gladys Knight & The Pips "How Great Thou Art" be omitted?

This release was not intended to be a "Complete", only an "Expanded", version of the album. Stereo versions of "Sparrow" and "He" had appeared on the 2007 reissue of "In Loving Memory", so it was thought they were appropriate "bonus tracks".

As far as I know the stereo "How Great Thou Art" has only ever appeared in digital format on the 1995 CD issue of "Rock Gospel: The Key To The Kingdom", and no doubt the digitisation was typical of the day - we'd likely have had to re-digitise it, so not really worth the effort just for one more bonus stereo version. Perhaps there'll be a re-issue of "Rock Gospel" some day ... !

Thanks Keith. I'm happy with my "Key To The Kingdom" CD and not bothered if it doesn't see another issue - there's plenty more stuff I'd like to see first on CD. It's amazing how these albums have filtered out over time.

Anyone know what the problem is re UK release? Licensing?

Tempted to say God Knows...in keeping with the situation.

I bought the "In Loving Memory [[Expanded)" download on the day it was released on Amazon back in December. CD1 -- Track 4 -- The Temptations' "The Lord's Prayer" -- has a serious glitch whereby the music stops midstream and is replaced by several seconds' worth of horrible hissing. I'm surprised that no one else here has mentioned it. I do know of one other person who experienced the same thing, so I know it wasn't due to an error here on my end. Keith, can you help with this problem?

I have brought this problem to the attention of someone at Universal who will know how to deal with it. The track was OK when it left me for mastering, but clearly something has gone wrong since then.

Thanks, Keith. I'll sit tight until I hear from you again.

I’llnever part with my vinyl copy of the original album [[because it was given me bynone other than Mrs Esther Gordy Edwards herself) but I’m intrigued by commentshere that large parts of this expanded version are available on CD – my preferredmedium. I’d be eternally grateful if any member here could tell me what thoseCDs are so I can try Amazon or Ebay. Many thanks in advance.

The "In Loving Memory" album has seen 2 CD releases. The first in the 90s was all mono. Much later it was issued with a couple of tracks in stereo [[see earlier in the thread) and I believe this version is sometimes know as Motown Gospel 2. Many of the unreleased tracks were on the Motown Unreleased" 1966 set which was also released on CD

Hi,

This is my first post so please go gentle on me if I get anything wrong!

I have been following this thread for a while, and like others, was waiting for a release in the UK. Finally it appeared last week and I started looking around for the best deal. [[iTunes at £10.99, Amazon at £10.29, and Google Play and 7digital both at £8.99)

I was about to purchase it from 7digital when I read the post from “Philles/Motown Gary” concerning a glitch in the Temptations track “The Lord’s Prayer” – many thanks for the pointer.

iTunes and Google Play have 90 second clips and both contain this glitch, just after the start of the verse beginning “Give Us Our Daily Bread”. Inconveniently the clips from Amazon and 7digital only last 30 seconds and both stop a few seconds short so I don’t know if there is a problem or not.

With an acknowledgement to Keith Hughes who has flagged this up with Universal, is there anyone on the list who has been able to download this album in the UK which does not contain this glitch, or did they all come from the same source?

Quote Originally Posted by reachoutuk View Post
    Hi,

This is my first post so please go gentle on me if I get anything wrong!

I was about to purchase it from 7digital when I read the post from “Philles/Motown Gary” concerning a glitch in the Temptations track “The Lord’s Prayer” – many thanks for the pointer.
    Hi reachoutuk. And welcome! Don't worry. Most of us here don't bite. If somebody should bark at you, just bark back and "get it out'cha system", as Millie Jackson would say!

You're welcome for the heads up regarding the glitch in The Temptations' "The Lord's Prayer". I was surprised that no one else noticed it. I guess it isn't exactly a big seller. I bought the original LP back in 1968 when it was first released, and then I bought both of the CD versions that came out over the past few years. The only reason I bought this latest version was out of loyalty to Motown for the previously-unreleased tracks of which I haven't even listened to the second half of the set yet. I guess I'm burned out on "In Loving Memory", especially when there are so many other Motown albums waiting for a physical CD or download reissue for the first time ever [[i.e., Blinky, remaining albums by The Originals and Jr. Walker. In the meantime, we'll just have to sit patiently until we hear back from Keith regarding the "In Loving Memory" glitch.

Thanks Philles/Motown Gary for your kind welcome.

You've given me the idea that perhaps I should get the 1995 CD version of this album as I prefer physical releases where available.

Similar to yourself, I am willing and grateful to collect anything that comes out of the Motown vaults in order to hopefully help create a demand for further releases. Having said that, once I get this download it is unlikely to be at the top of my playlist, more a case of hearing artists singing in a different style from time to time.

DFTMC doesn't say that Martha & Vandellas' "It Is No Secret What Love Can Do" is previously unreleased, but I can't find any other reference to it. Has it been out before?

Keith, has there been any word yet on correcting that unfortunate glitch in The Temptations "Lord's Prayer" segment of "In Loving Memory" [[Expanded) download?

DRATS rendition of "He" is good; kinda reminds me of "Kingston Town" by UB40 lol.

Apologies for resurrecting this thread [[and a case of mild obsession with this release)!

Regarding the glitch that was previously reported in the track "The Lord's Prayer" by the Temptations, I checked the download websites that I have used [[in the UK) and have now downloaded this album complete and can confirm that the original track has now been replaced by a perfect copy. I got it from Google Play, but iTunes appears to have also replaced their defective copy. I can't comment on Amazon and 7digitial as their 30-second samples do not cover the section which contained the glitch.

I hope this is useful for anyone else who has been wondering about this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by reachoutuk View Post
    Apologies for resurrecting this thread [[and a case of mild obsession with this release)!

Regarding the glitch that was previously reported in the track "The Lord's Prayer" by the Temptations, I checked the download websites that I have used [[in the UK) and have now downloaded this album complete and can confirm that the original track has now been replaced by a perfect copy. I got it from Google Play, but iTunes appears to have also replaced their defective copy. I can't comment on Amazon and 7digitial as their 30-second samples do not cover the section which contained the glitch.

I hope this is useful for anyone else who has been wondering about this issue.
    No need to apologize, reachoutuk. I was the one who reported the Amazon glitch to Keith. It's been three months since I first reported the problem -- and two months since I dropped a reminder -- yet still no word. Like you, I'm left in the dark, wondering what to do. As you said, there's no way of testing the 29-second Amazon version without paying to download it again. At this point, I've given up. I won't be downloading anything from Universal Music again. It's a real slap in the face for somebody who has faithfully purchased ALL Motown product for the past 55 years to be ignored and cast aside so shabbily.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 04-06-2019 at 04:35 PM.

I didn`t bother downloading the original album part. I already had the earlier cd version which I assumed would be a better recording.Could you try this?

Thanks for your kind offer, Roger. I appreciate it. I, too, have the "In Loving Memory" CD which came out a few years ago. To support Motown, I paid for and downloaded the newly-Expanded version and immediately burned it to a newly-created 2-CD set -- only to discover the annoying glitch on Disc 1. If I wanted to, I could make a new CD using The Temptations' "Lord's Prayer" from the official CD. It just sadly makes me wonder whatever happened to good will -- obviously a thing of the past.

I expect I'll get this release at some point in the distant future and maybe Marvin's expanded Nat King Cole too but I can't work up much enthusiasm for digital downloads only especially since they're mostly made up of duplications.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    I expect I'll get this release at some point in the distant future and maybe Marvin's expanded Nat King Cole too but I can't work up much enthusiasm for digital downloads only especially since they're mostly made up of duplications.
    Yeah, I hear ya, ms. I bought the new, previously-unreleased Marvin Gaye "You're The Man" download to burn to CD. NOW they tell us it's coming out on CD! What a waste! I'm still debating what to do about the Marvin Gaye "Nat King Cole" Expanded download. I already have the official CD from several years back. Is it worth buying it again? Possibly not, especially for a mere download.

I bought the new, previously-unreleased Marvin Gaye "You're The Man" download to burn to CD. NOW they tell us it's coming out on CD! What a waste!

Hey Gary, I already posted about the cd version coming out on march 12, 2019. Did you miss my posting?

I shall most likely buy YTM on CD.

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    I bought the new, previously-unreleased Marvin Gaye "You're The Man" download to burn to CD. NOW they tell us it's coming out on CD! What a waste!

Hey Gary, I already posted about the cd version coming out on march 12, 2019. Did you miss my posting?
    Hey Jack! Yeah, I must have missed it. Where did you learn that it would also be released on CD?

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Hey Jack! Yeah, I must have missed it. Where did you learn that it would also be released on CD?
    Gary, it will be out on CD later this month. The pre-order price is $12.59.

https://www.amazon.com/Youre-Man-Mar...4851448&sr=1-1

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Gary, it will be out on CD later this month. The pre-order price is $12.59.

https://www.amazon.com/Youre-Man-Mar...4851448&sr=1-1
    Yeah, I know, Kenny. Jack was saying he announced the CD release back on March 12. I somehow missed it, and ordered the download, thinking that would be it. Oh, well. But thanks anyway for the link!