[REMOVE ADS]

"Bohemian Rhapsody" the Song of the Century?

My mom brought it home on 45 and I'll never forget listening to it. A song with opera, R&B and hard rock all fitting well within it. And every part of it would probably have been the most singable song of that year had it been a song in itself. I absolutely love this record, which I consider my favorite rock song and if I had to come up with a top 20, I'd have to put it there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    My mom brought it home on 45 and I'll never forget listening to it. A song with opera, R&B and hard rock all fitting well within it. And every part of it would probably have been the most singable song of that year had it been a song in itself. I absolutely love this record, which I consider my favorite rock song and if I had to come up with a top 20, I'd have to put it there.
    Jerry I use to sleep with the radio on back in those days and I'd swear I heard this song every night in late 1975-76 on CKLW. I learned all the words.

The problem I have is when people make these non-sensical pronoucements. How can anyone accurately say that "Bohemian Rhapsody" is the song of the century based on the number of times it's been streamed when streaming was not even around for almost all of the 20th Century!!!. It just does not make sense to me.

Hyperbolic headlines are the best click bait. Every time somebody posts a "Top 20 Soul Records of All Time" or "Top 10 Soul Singers" article, I cringe before clicking on them. I'm cool with subjective lists. That prompts good discussions. But when I see Otis left off a top 10 soul singer list while Michael Jackson is on it, I know that the person is clearly not of my understanding of what "soul" is. And I'd have to leave hundreds of songs off of my top 500 list, so coming up with 10 or 20 is obviously impossible.

But it's a little easier for me to do my favorite rock song list. I'd be comfortable making a top 100 list, even though I love many more than that. And if "Bohemian Rhapsody" is not my top rock song, it's easily in the top 10. It is silly to proclaim something the top anything based on one metric, no matter what it is.

I know what you mean. I absolutely had a fit when I bought the Ebony Magazine issue featuring the Top100 Male R&B Singers only to find that they left out Levi Stubbs but included Chris Brown and Keith Sweat! Impossible!

Well, I just listened to the song in its entirety for the first time.

Jerry, it is fascinating to me that this is one of your favourite songs. It did nothing for me. I mean it's a hell of a song and it definitely keeps you interested, but I didn't find it a very enjoyable listen. A bit like "Stairway To Heaven" I listened to for the first time a while back. Anyway, "BR" has so many parts [[really very different parts) and I didn't really like any of em. And I don't understand it being such a massive pop hit. But there you go.
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 12-12-2018 at 01:33 PM.

Jerry do you remember several months ago when the media were saying that the Eagles Greatest Hits album was the all time best selling album? Then it turned out that was just for the U.S.? They never included that part in their headlines, so now many believe the Eagles have outsold Michael Jackson's "Thriller" which is not even close to being the case.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Jerry do you remember several months ago when the media were saying that the Eagles Greatest Hits album was the all time best selling album? Then it turned out that was just for the U.S.? They never included that part in their headlines, so now many believe the Eagles have outsold Michael Jackson's "Thriller" which is not even close to being the case.
    It's all click bait. Blogs and web sites get more money due to more people opening their articles. So if you make a subjective and ridiculous statement appear to be objective, people will check it out. It doesn't matter that we're disappointed after we got there because they're going to be paid by the number of hits they got anyway.

That's why you have so many sports radio hosts instigating certain fan bases that they know are sensitive. Collin Cowherd and Stephen A. Smith do that. Those fans go to the station's web site and post thousands of negative comments and the host can use the attention that he generates when he's pushing for his next raise. It's the same thing with saying that Any song is the "song of the century" or any album is somehow the top selling album in spite of well-documented facts to the contrary.

It's all click bait. Blogs and web sites get more money due to more people opening their articles. So if you make a subjective and ridiculous statement appear to be objective, people will check it out. It doesn't matter that we're disappointed after we got there because they're going to be paid by the number of hits they got anyway.

That's why you have so many sports radio hosts instigating certain fan bases that they know are sensitive. Collin Cowherd and Stephen A. Smith do that. Those fans go to the station's web site and post thousands of negative comments and the host can use the attention that he generates when he's pushing for his next raise. It's the same thing with saying that Any song is the "song of the century" or any album is somehow the top selling album in spite of well-documented facts to the contrary.
    I can't stand Stephen A. Smith!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Well, I just listened to the song in its entirety for the first time.

Jerry, it is fascinating to me that this is one of your favourite songs. It did nothing for me. I mean it's a hell of a song and it definitely keeps you interested, but I didn't find it a very enjoyable listen. A bit like "Stairway To Heaven" I listened to for the first time a while back. Anyway, "BR" has so many parts [[really very different parts) and I didn't really like any of em. And I don't understand it being such a massive pop hit. But there you go.
    LOL. As they say, opinions are like assholes. We all have them and we all think everybody else's are the ones that stink. Part of my fascination with it is the fact that it was one of the only rock songs in our collection [[along with Chicago's "If You Leave Me Now"). Queen is also one of those bands that just clicked for me, which is why I want to see the movie, even though I know I'm not going to like it.

I have no idea why my Mom bought it. I'll bet she can't even remember listening to it now. But it was so very different from our 98% R&B singles library that it stood out. And back then, I avoided the local rock stations like the plague. All R&B all the time. But that song stood out.

A decade or so later, I matured and started listening to jazz, blues, reggae, country and rock. Even some hard rock and metal. But that song in particular stands out and probably always will. But I'm not going to be the one to call any record the "song of the century".

I can't stand Stephen A. Smith!
    He tries way too hard. And seeing him buddy it up with Sheriff David Clarke just furthered my dislike of him. I've got choice words for him that I don't use for many brothers.

He tries way too hard. And seeing him buddy it up with Sheriff David Clarke just furthered my dislike of him. I've got choice words for him that I don't use for many brothers.
    I also have choice words for him that I won't use on the forum. LOL! He is a jerk!

LOL. As they say, opinions are like assholes. We all have them and we all think everybody else's are the ones that stink. Part of my fascination with it is the fact that it was one of the only rock songs in our collection [[along with Chicago's "If You Leave Me Now"). Queen is also one of those bands that just clicked for me, which is why I want to see the movie, even though I know I'm not going to like it.

I have no idea why my Mom bought it. I'll bet she can't even remember listening to it now. But it was so very different from our 98% R&B singles library that it stood out. And back then, I avoided the local rock stations like the plague. All R&B all the time. But that song stood out.

A decade or so later, I matured and started listening to jazz, blues, reggae, country and rock. Even some hard rock and metal. But that song in particular stands out and probably always will. But I'm not going to be the one to call any record the "song of the century".
    If a song were truly, legitimately the "Song of the Century", it would not have taken 18 years to announce it! There were great songs that were very popular in every decade of the 20th Century.

Very true Jerry and excellently put LOL!

Like yourself Queen is a band that I can appreciate, although I don't really know why, considering most of the music I like is R&B/Soul orientated. I do think Freddie Mercury has a great voice though. I bloody love "Another One Bites The Dust" and "Don't Stop Me Now", and I quite like "You're My Best Friend", "Killer Queen" and "I Want To Break Free" too.

Now Chicago I do like, "If You Leave Me Now" is a very soulful song in my opinion. "Just You 'N' Me" too. And they get funky on "Street Player", "What's This World Comin' To" and "Please Hold On". And that horn section

"Bohemian Rhapsody" certainly wouldn't be my song of the 20th century, but it can definitely be someone's else's.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Very true Jerry and excellently put LOL!

Like yourself Queen is a band that I can appreciate, although I don't really know why, considering most of the music I like is R&B/Soul orientated. I do think Freddie Mercury has a great voice though. I bloody love "Another One Bites The Dust" and "Don't Stop Me Now", and I quite like "You're My Best Friend", "Killer Queen" and "I Want To Break Free" too.

Now Chicago I do like, "If You Leave Me Now" is a very soulful song in my opinion. "Just You 'N' Me" too. And they get funky on "Street Player", "What's This World Comin' To" and "Please Hold On". And that horn section

"Bohemian Rhapsody" certainly wouldn't be my song of the 20th century, but it can definitely be someone's else's.
    Preach! How boring would it be if everybody had the exact same musical tastes? I listen to some stuff that would bleach some of you guys' hair. One of my favorite records from back in the day [[and yes, I have thousands of favorite records from back in the day) was Queen's "Crazy Little Thing Called Love". They preceded the Stray Cats with an essentially rockabilly song that stands among the best of them. I often wondered what the creative process was for that record, which I'll be listening to when I stop typing this.

Preach! How boring would it be if everybody had the exact same musical tastes? I listen to some stuff that would bleach some of you guys' hair. One of my favorite records from back in the day [[and yes, I have thousands of favorite records from back in the day) was Queen's "Crazy Little Thing Called Love". They preceded the Stray Cats with an essentially rockabilly song that stands among the best of them. I often wondered what the creative process was for that record, which I'll be listening to when I stop typing this.
    One of my favorite records in 1981 was Eddie Rabbit's "Step by Step", but then again I was in Colorado. LOL!

One of my favorite records in 1981 was Eddie Rabbit's "Step by Step", but then again I was in Colorado. LOL!
    "First step: Ask her out and treat her like a lady..." Fuck yeah!!!

Bohemian Rhapsody...Great song...until you hear Kanye West give it a try. Even Freddie couldn't hold back...LOL
    https://youtu.be/bzNXfsJRijg

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    "First step: Ask her out and treat her like a lady..." Fuck yeah!!!
    That's it! Boy you better know it! I was in college and it was the era of "Urban Cowboy". I went with it and that song just hit home for me. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    Bohemian Rhapsody...Great song...until you hear Kanye West give it a try. Even Freddie couldn't hold back...LOL
    https://youtu.be/bzNXfsJRijg
    Kanye needs to go take several seats on this one!

I don't know about "song of the century" BUT it is a legendary song and I love Queen's discography.

Marc Martel:

and because it's Christmas: