[REMOVE ADS]

Gladys Knight performing "Home" on Q-5 BET Tribute to Qunicy Jones

Being a Canadian, it is not often easy to know about BET programming, but this past Sunday, Oprah hosted an 85th Birthday Celebration Tribute to Quincy Jones. In the past, the BET Network would repeat a program immediately afterward the initial airing, or a day later. This is not the case this time, but the two hour program was SO good no doubt it will be aired again soon. SO many outstanding musical tributes including performances by Stevie Wonder, who seems to be more funky than ever, Patti Austen, etc, but the musical mindblower is Gladys Knight performing "Home," from the the play and film vision of "The Wiz." Yes I realize that this is one of Diana Ross' signature recordings, especially in light of her recent NYC live performance. Ms Knight adds her personal touch, and I'm just happy to be able to "double dip," as it were, and enjoy all versions of this song with a wonderful message.
    Last edited by Mark Desjardines; 12-12-2018 at 01:25 PM.

I missed. I'll look for the rebroadcast. Thanks Mark

She ripped it. It was a fabulous program all around.

Found it. Sorry it's not pristine:

Sometimes I just hear her and be in amazement like "how is she still doing this?" That voice was blessed from God.

Let's not forget that it was Quincy Jones that produced the sountrack to the film "The Wiz". The song "Home", Stephanie Mills originated it on Broadway and Gladys just knocks it out of the park!!!
    Last edited by marv2; 12-11-2018 at 05:50 PM.

Gladys is wonderful and her voice is a marvel. Gladys was not as assured with this song as with her signature material. She sounded OK but her phrasing was off.

Also, I must cop to some disappointment that it was not Ross paying tribute to Q with "Home." Ross sang it at the Hollywood Bowl this past June and even though she forgot some of the words it was still magical. It would have been a nice full circle moment since Ross and Q are among the only living collaborators from "The Wiz."

Good point you made, Guy!

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Gladys is wonderful and her voice is a marvel. Gladys was not as assured with this song as with her signature material. She sounded OK but her phrasing was off.

Also, I must cop to some disappointment that it was not Ross paying tribute to Q with "Home." Ross sang it at the Hollywood Bowl this past June and even though she forgot some of the words it was still magical. It would have been a nice full circle moment since Ross and Q are among the only living collaborators from "The Wiz."

I love this song. Gladys Knight is one of my favorite female vocalist and she did a wonderful job. Diana Ross just performed this song on TV at Rockefeller Center for the tree lighting and she was also fantastic. Love them both.

Gladys has one of the best voices ever. Anything she sings she usually knocks it out the park. I didn’t like her phrasing at all. This is one of those rare times where she missed the mark. She didn’t connect to the lyric in a soulful way like Stephanie, or emotionally like Diana. I was disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    Gladys has one of the best voices ever. Anything she sings she usually knocks it out the park. I didn’t like her phrasing at all. This is one of those rare times where she missed the mark. She didn’t connect to the lyric in a soulful way like Stephanie, or emotionally like Diana. I was disappointed.

Yes. She seemed to lack connection to the song and its meaning. Excellent observation that I was too timid to make in this forum. Otherwise, Gladys is a flawless performer and interpreter.