[REMOVE ADS]

Marvin Gaye picture

To all you people, who think that a picture will be made about Marvin Gaye...Can put all your assumptions and theories away!!!! Mr. Gordy will not let it happen...Stephen Speilberg can't even get it made!!! It will not happen in our lifetime!!
    Last edited by dvus7; 12-11-2018 at 06:29 AM.

I wonder what has prompted this post? Has there been an announcement of some kind?

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    I wonder what has prompted this post? Has there been an announcement of some kind?
    There is nothing that prompted the post...I had just read an article on Mr. Gordy!!!! He won't even allow anybody to make a picture on Shorty Long!!! The jacksons & the Temps were the only ones and they were groups....Even Then, Everything flowed thru him!! In addition, I think that he promised Anna. This is an example of the power/influence that Mr. Gordy's has!!!!
    Last edited by dvus7; 12-11-2018 at 06:32 AM.

Um......okay....

Who the hell would make a picture on Shorty Long? Asking for a friend.

Well them he's definitely out of his mind. He gets my goat more and more to put it mildly and g- rated.

I think the assumption that Gordy could block a movie biography of Gaye is faulty. He could certain withhold his cooperation, but why would it be needed anyway? Gaye's life was well documented in David Ritz's biography Divided Soul, and it contains lots of information about how he got started, the early recordings, and other Motown related information. Getting the rights to Ritz's material would be more than enough for a film.

Hard to believe that Gaye has already been dead almost 40 years. He's certainly not forgotten by his fans, and has a generation of new ones who look back to his "old school" type of singing as one of the original masters of R&B, but he might not be viewed as a commercially viable subject. Still, his life is almost Shakespearean in its tragic elements and certainly could make for a compelling film.

In addition, you can't defame the dead so the producer and director would have a fairly easy time to present him with all his flaws and deficiencies. Of course, his wives Anna and Janice are still with us [[or did Anna Gordy die a few years ago?) so there would have to be care taken of how they were portrayed. But even with Anna [[and probably Janice as well), there's court documents and other public records which can be used as source material for those periods in Gaye's life. For example, the recording of the "Here, My Dear" album, even at the time, was known to be used as a "payment on demand" for Gaye's divorce from Anna. Much could be used from that time period to enrich the narrative.

Maybe we'll have to wait for a relevant anniversary or something which might be used to springboard the public's interest in him for a film to get made. But I doubt Berry Gordy could do much to stop it if the interest was there.
    Last edited by kenneth; 12-11-2018 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I think the assumption that Gordy could block a movie biography of Gaye is faulty. He could certain withhold his cooperation, but why would it be needed anyway? Gaye's life was well documented in David Ritz's biography Divided Soul, and it contains lots of information about how he got started, the early recordings, and other Motown related information. Getting the rights to Ritz's material would be more than enough for a film.

Hard to believe that Gaye has already been dead almost 40 years. He's certainly not forgotten by his fans, and has a generation of new ones who look back to his "old school" type of singing as one of the original masters of R&B, but he might not be viewed as a commercially viable subject. Still, his life is almost Shakespearean in its tragic elements and certainly could make for a compelling film.

In addition, you can't defame the dead so the producer and director would have a fairly easy time to present him with all his flaws and deficiencies. Of course, his wives Anna and Janice are still with us [[or did Anna Gordy die a few years ago?) so there would have to be care taken of how they were portrayed. But even with Anna [[and probably Janice as well), there's court documents and other public records which can be used as source material for those periods in Gaye's life. For example, the recording of the "Here, My Dear" album, even at the time, was known to be used as a "payment on demand" for Gaye's divorce from Anna. Much could be used from that time period to enrich the narrative.

Maybe we'll have to wait for a relevant anniversary or something which might be used to springboard the public's interest in him for a film to get made. But I doubt Berry Gordy could do much to stop it if the interest was there.
    Mr. Gordy can no longer stop a film on Marvin Gaye. He no longer owns the music rights. He may have some say on how his character is portrayed,but that is all. Yes, Anna passed away several years ago, but Marvin's children, grandchildren and sisters are still alive.

I don't understand how this subject came up to begin with.

The message I got from Berry is that he was afraid a film would not depict any artist of his in the best light... that said, I don't think he had any much say in the Temptations' story? But the rest of the acts have yet to have their story made into a movie. That includes Diana Ross, The Supremes, Four Tops, Stevie [[and Stevie surely is protective of his private life!). A Marvin film won't happen unless everyone agrees that it depicts Marvin fairly. And besides, Sony now owns the Motown catalogs, not Berry Gordy.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Mr. Gordy can no longer stop a film on Marvin Gaye. He no longer owns the music rights. He may have some say on how his character is portrayed,but that is all. Yes, Anna passed away several years ago, but Marvin's children, grandchildren and sisters are still alive.

I don't understand how this subject came up to begin with.
    Marv...YOU ARE NOT THE MODERATOR OF ANY CONVERSATIONS ON THIS BOARD!!! MIND YOUR BUSINESS!!!
    Last edited by dvus7; 12-11-2018 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dvus7 View Post
    Marv...YOU ARE THE MODERATOR OF ANY CONVERSATIONS ON THIS BOARD!!! MIND YOUR BUSINESS!!!

Excuse me?

What point don't you understand???? You can not control what i want to post!!!

What point don't you understand???? You can not control what i want to post!!!
    Why so nasty?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    why so nasty?
    bye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    The message I got from Berry is that he was afraid a film would not depict any artist of his in the best light... that said, I don't think he had any much say in the Temptations' story? But the rest of the acts have yet to have their story made into a movie. That includes Diana Ross, The Supremes, Four Tops, Stevie [[and Stevie surely is protective of his private life!). A Marvin film won't happen unless everyone agrees that it depicts Marvin fairly. And besides, Sony now owns the Motown catalogs, not Berry Gordy.
    "who" would be the judge of it being "fair"???? There was a reason why the "gaye's" did not move to Detroit.....Anna was not having it!!!!
    Last edited by dvus7; 12-11-2018 at 06:30 PM.

I don't know why this thread has devolved into attacking Marv. He was more or less saying the same thing I was. Just rendering an opinion.

I think the Temptations film is a good example. Even at that time, wasn't Otis the only surviving member? That eliminates most of the legal challenges. As I mentioned above, you cannot defame the dead, so people are free to write or say almost anything.

I think the Four Tops' personal history is so free of scandal and, well, drama, that it's unlikely their story would ever be told on film. The Supremes? That's another story. As we know from "Sparkle" and "Dream Girls," it's a compelling story but no one has as yet presented it as non-fiction.
    Last edited by kenneth; 12-11-2018 at 07:09 PM.

My point of emphasis was...That Mr. Gordy still yields alot of power within Hollywood, Today!!!

My point of emphasis was...That Mr. Gordy still yields alot of power within Hollywood, Today!!!
    Why do you say that? Can you post a link to the article?

I always thought Gordy was a minor player at best in Hollywood circles. I mean, he had a huge success right out of the gate with "Lady Sings the Blues," and commercial but not critical success with "Mahogany," but other than that, especially after "The Wiz," I think his foray into Hollywood film making was considered a failure. Even in "Motown the Musical," which obviously he oversaw, they describe his Hollywood venture as "Hollywood taste on a Detroit budget" or something like that to explain why his initial success didn't last.

Regarding the Four Tops, I'd agree there are not many negative stories.
    However Levi was arrested by UK police on drugs and firearms charges.

Why do you say that? Can you post a link to the article?

I always thought Gordy was a minor player at best in Hollywood circles. I mean, he had a huge success right out of the gate with "Lady Sings the Blues," and commercial but not critical success with "Mahogany," but other than that, especially after "The Wiz," I think his foray into Hollywood film making was considered a failure. Even in "Motown the Musical," which obviously he oversaw, they describe his Hollywood venture as "Hollywood taste on a Detroit budget" or something like that to explain why his initial success didn't last.
    Hey, Kenneth...How much did the musical cost??? 100 million!!!

There was a Marvin Gaye Musical years ago, written by his sister, but it was not allowed to use any of Marvin's Music

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...in+gaye+beacon

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...th-Marvin-play

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    Regarding the Four Tops, I'd agree there are not many negative stories.
    However Levi was arrested by UK police on drugs and firearms charges.
    I had no idea about that, when did that happen snake?

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I had no idea about that, when did that happen snake?
    Found this:

http://www.adampwhite.com/westgrandblog/four-tops-game

I think the Four Tops Story could make a pretty good television bio-pic. I'd like to see a book on them finally as well.

I don't think anybody in Hollywood gives a crap what Gordy thinks unless they wish to do a story specifically about him. As it relates to Motown artists, there's probably a bunch different reasons why one film or another is made or not made and I don't believe for a moment that Berry Gordy has anything to do with it. Marvin's legacy appears to firmly be in the care of his family, so if ever there was an obstacle to getting it done, Marvin's immediate family- not his former brother in law- would more than likely be the reason. Hopefully Marvin's life story will make the big screen someday. It's definitely an interesting tale.

The Four Tops story would probably be better told on television. The Tops probably don't have much in the way of group shenanigans, but nobody's life is without drama and ups and downs, so I would imagine they might have a story worth seeing if it focused on the members' personal lives as opposed to their career, which seems to be drama free. Of course there's no use in talking about a Four Tops movie when we can't even get the damn Four Tops book to come out. Does anyone know what's going on with Duke? Is that something he's still trying to do or what?

The Supremes and Diana Ross story[[stories) haven't a snowball's chance in hell of being told in movie form until the major players have gone on [[namely Ross, Wilson and Gordy). Ross and Wilson in particular would never sign off on being depicted in the other's cinematic side of the story for obvious reasons, nor would either one sign off on being depicted in a third party objectively told movie because neither woman wants the warts side of her story told. And of course that's their rights as living human beings. I'll bet there aren't very many posting in this forum who wants a warts and all movie done on them. I know I don't!!

As for Shorty Long, I don't know much about his life really, aside from some of what he did at Motown and his untimely death. But it wouldn't surprise me a bit if he lived the kind of short life that would make a great movie.

I SERIOUSLY doubt a man approaching 90 has that much power anymore and he didn't have much Hollywood power to begin with. His power was in music only.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    There was a Marvin Gaye Musical years ago, written by his sister, but it was not allowed to use any of Marvin's Music

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...in+gaye+beacon

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...th-Marvin-play
    Yeah and there's been this big feud between Zeola and the rest of Marvin's children and Janis because of it [[Zeola's biography furthered the division). I read Janis thinks Zeola thinks she [[Zeola) never loved her brother and was always taking advantage of Marvin. I wonder how the other Gayes saw her. Jeanne Gaye probably don't get along with her either. It's a mess.

The REAL reason Marvin's film hasn't been made yet is because of his children. The Gaye children [[Marvin III, Nona and Frank) seem real protective of their father and his image. Berry Gordy gave away his rights to the catalog and I don't see Sony blocking musical rights if a film was to be done. If I recall, when F. Gary Gray, Will Smith and Jamie Foxx [[the last one the family actually co-signed on) were gonna do their Marvin films, they had right to use the Motown material. The Gaye family is definitely the reason we'll never see Jesse L. Martin's '80s period film about him as he preps his comeback and enters the final days of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I don't think anybody in Hollywood gives a crap what Gordy thinks unless they wish to do a story specifically about him. As it relates to Motown artists, there's probably a bunch different reasons why one film or another is made or not made and I don't believe for a moment that Berry Gordy has anything to do with it. Marvin's legacy appears to firmly be in the care of his family, so if ever there was an obstacle to getting it done, Marvin's immediate family- not his former brother in law- would more than likely be the reason. Hopefully Marvin's life story will make the big screen someday. It's definitely an interesting tale.

The Four Tops story would probably be better told on television. The Tops probably don't have much in the way of group shenanigans, but nobody's life is without drama and ups and downs, so I would imagine they might have a story worth seeing if it focused on the members' personal lives as opposed to their career, which seems to be drama free. Of course there's no use in talking about a Four Tops movie when we can't even get the damn Four Tops book to come out. Does anyone know what's going on with Duke? Is that something he's still trying to do or what?

The Supremes and Diana Ross story[[stories) haven't a snowball's chance in hell of being told in movie form until the major players have gone on [[namely Ross, Wilson and Gordy). Ross and Wilson in particular would never sign off on being depicted in the other's cinematic side of the story for obvious reasons, nor would either one sign off on being depicted in a third party objectively told movie because neither woman wants the warts side of her story told. And of course that's their rights as living human beings. I'll bet there aren't very many posting in this forum who wants a warts and all movie done on them. I know I don't!!

As for Shorty Long, I don't know much about his life really, aside from some of what he did at Motown and his untimely death. But it wouldn't surprise me a bit if he lived the kind of short life that would make a great movie.
    A book about the Four Tops would be nice. Though, there’s not as much tea as there was with Marvin, the Temptations, etc. At least that we know of!

I think “Dreamgirls” is the closest we’ll get to a Supremes biopic! Same story, different names!

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    A book about the Four Tops would be nice. Though, there’s not as much tea as there was with Marvin, the Temptations, etc. At least that we know of!

I think “Dreamgirls” is the closest we’ll get to a Supremes biopic! Same story, different names!
    I beg to differ about "Dreamgirls"being the same story as the actual Supremes. A lot of key details are different. Besides there's nothing like a factual story of historical figures vs fiction. If "Dreamgirls" is the story of the Supremes, I have to liken it as only a step above calling "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" Honest Abe's life story.

I think if there was any "tea" to be had on the Tops most of it would've come out by now. But because the group is so important to the history of Motown, to the history of Black music, to the history of music period, we need their first person recollections of their history. Since all but Duke is dead, unless someone finds an unpublished manuscript that Levi, Obie or Lawrence left behind, then the first person documentation of their story is left to Duke. I'm sure Duke will be around with us for a long time to come, but at his age chances shouldn't be taken. We need that Four Tops book yesterday.

Thanks kenneth! Good read!!!

Dreamgirls ain't even close to the real Supremes story lol

Yeah, informative article, Kenny! Imagine how embarrassing and humiliating it must have been at the time for the Four Tops and, especially, for poor Levi to be falsely accused while the cops "took a shot" at getting themselves [[the cops) some publicity ar Levi's expense. Sickening! At least Levi was found innocent of the charges. Still, that whole thing was messed up bad. Heads should have rolled over that one.

^ We KNOW why Levi got grilled at. We KNOW why...

They wouldn't have done it to Tom Jones is all I'm saying. Look what Jimi Hendrix had to put up with when someone put smack in his bag and he didn't do drugs like that!