[REMOVE ADS]

High Energy Single

Was HE ever released as a maxi-single? wikipedia is listing it as one. I know that dj's would submit track[[s) to Billboard for the dance charts. And sometimes they would only list the released 7" single or sometimes it would be listed with multiple tracks from the lp or even the whole lp.

For instance, Let Yourself Go, You're My Driving Wheel and Love I Never Knew were all listed on Billboard's dance tracks and charted at #5. But there was no "medley" of the songs and Love was only released in Europe.

I'm not aware of any extended singles on the Sups until the hits medley in 79.

I don't think Motown started issued 12-inchs commercially until 1977, at least that is when I first remember seeing them. Perhaps they issued them to disco djs and radio before then.

yeah that's what i thought. in a few of the larger motown history books released in the 90s, they included very thorough discographies, including the promo issues. I'm not aware of a promo single released for HE [[as there was a white-label promo of The Young Folks with the song on both sides released in 69).

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I don't think Motown started issued 12-inchs commercially until 1977, at least that is when I first remember seeing them. Perhaps they issued them to disco djs and radio before then.
    I think Motown issue Thelma Houston's "Don't Leave Me This Way" as at 12" in 1976. I just have the album. I never bought the single for "High Energy" because I had bought the album first. I do remember hearing it on the radio, usually at night.

High Energy was not released as a single or a 12" EP.
    There was a promo for The Supremes which was an interview with The Supremes from Japan issued in 1971 promoting their Touch album. Also a couple of promo EPs for Diana Ross for Love Hangover [[1) and Love Hangover again with Marvin Gaye I Want You [[2).
    The 1st commercial EP was Down To Love Town-The Originals backed with Let's Be Young Tonight-Jermaine Jackson Nov 1976. 2nd was Don't Leave Me This Way-Thelma Houston backed with Fancy Dancer-Commodores Dec 1976.
    Diana Ross had her 1st commercial EP Your Love Is So Good For Me backed with I Can't Go On Living Without Your Love-Thelma Houston in Feb 1978.
    Mary Wilson had her only commercial EP Red Hot in Aug 1979.
    No Supreme EPs have ever been issued except the Medley Of Hits 1979.
    Last edited by noel181; 12-10-2018 at 09:55 PM. Reason: correction

Discogs lists "High Energy" on a UK 12" Promo, with "Love I Never Knew You Could Feel So Good" as the A-Side.

https://www.discogs.com/The-Supremes...elease/1038438

Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    Discogs lists "High Energy" on a UK 12" Promo, with "Love I Never Knew You Could Feel So Good" as the A-Side.

https://www.discogs.com/The-Supremes...elease/1038438
    I remember that. I wanted it, but could never find it as an import. Thanks Smallworld.

Thnx Noel. i agree with all of your posts. I have the Sharon Davis Motown book from the late 80s/early 90s and it has an very thorough US and British discography. of all of the sub-labels too. I believe it also does a good job of listing out the white lable 45s issued for promotional purposes too. It does like a 7" 45 released internationally for Love I Never Knew but that was the A side and This Is Why I Believe In You was the B. the book does list out the 12" singles and things and what you've listed, i believe off the top of my head, is correct. Even Diana didn't have too many 12". There was Your Love Is So Good, Lovin' Livin' Givin', the Boss, the boss/no one gets combo, the medley of hits

i was always surprised they didn't 12" versions of any of the diana 1980 songs

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post

i was always surprised they didn't 12" versions of any of the diana 1980 songs
    My local station used to play UPSIDE DOWN and I'M COMING OUT back to back all of the time. When I went to my local record store, I could only find an import containing both songs on the same 12".

I was really surprised as much less successful songs like YOUR LOVE IS SO GOOD FOR ME and WHAT YOU GAVE ME received domestic 12"s. I might even have one for POPS, WE LOVE YOU.

even with the deluxe package of diana 1980, i was surprised there weren't extended versions of UP or ICO. i think in the latest Randy book, it states that a single mix of Tenderness exists. but that would most likely be the 7" version.

I was really surprised as much less successful songs like YOUR LOVE IS SO GOOD FOR ME and WHAT YOU GAVE ME received domestic 12"s. I might even have one for POPS, WE LOVE YOU.
    "Pops, We Love You" came out on a heart-shaped, red vinyl single. I have it but can't tell you for sure, but I believe it was the same version as on the album, not an extended version.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    "Pops, We Love You" came out on a heart-shaped, red vinyl single. I have it but can't tell you for sure, but I believe it was the same version as on the album, not an extended version.
    I have the heart-shaped disc. I believe its timing is 3:30. I also have a 12" extended version as well, which I believe is maybe six minutes or so. And it is different from the version on the Pops We Love You album.

I had a white label 12" extended Its My House w/ No One Gets The Prize- The Boss medley at one point

according to the discography in Sharon Davis' Motown book, in the US these were the following 12" releases for Diana/girls

Diana Ross "Your Love is so good for me" b/w Thelma Houston "I can't go on living without you" released Feb 78

Diana Ross "what you gave me" b/w Bonnie Pointer "Free me from my freedom" released Dec 78

Pops We Love you both sides released March 79

Diana Ross "The Boss" b/w "Lovin' Livin' Givin'" released May 79

Mary Wilson "Red Hot" b/w "Midnight Dancer" released Oct 79

Diana Ross & The Supremes "Medley of Hits" b/w "No One Gets the Prize/The Boss" released Feb 80

M00033D1 & PR-58 Promo Red Vinyl EP
    The flip side for Mary Wilson Red Hot [[Disco Version) was Red Hot [[Single Version)

Midnight Dancer was only issued on promo EP below as well as the single 45.
    PSLP 298 issued to promote her UK tour. This was issued in the UK.

Hey Marv check your email please. High Energy was the finest song put out by the Sups. That HE album still holds its own today. As far as talent goes, MSS were the best. I hope they get together and perform at some point. I do know that they get along.

Quote Originally Posted by noel181 View Post
    M00033D1 & PR-58 Promo Red Vinyl EP
    The flip side for Mary Wilson Red Hot [[Disco Version) was Red Hot [[Single Version)

Midnight Dancer was only issued on promo EP below as well as the single 45.
    PSLP 298 issued to promote her UK tour. This was issued in the UK.
    good catch - i was using Sharon's motown discography and it was the US listing but i've found other errors in the data too, especially for US releases

I have the U.S. Thelma "Don't Leave" 12 inch single with picture cover and the other side is "Down To Love Town" by The Originals

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Hey Marv check your email please. High Energy was the finest song put out by the Sups. That HE album still holds its own today. As far as talent goes, MSS were the best. I hope they get together and perform at some point. I do know that they get along.
    Hey DET, thanks will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    I have the U.S. Thelma "Don't Leave" 12 inch single with picture cover and the other side is "Down To Love Town" by The Originals
    I have that one too. It was one of the first Motown 12" I bought.

I have the heart-shaped disc. I believe its timing is 3:30. I also have a 12" extended version as well, which I believe is maybe six minutes or so. And it is different from the version on the Pops We Love You album.
    I should've known better than to question your ability for recall!

Sharon Davis book Motown The History for the most part is very good but as you stated there are a lot of mistakes in the US listings. I find a lot of dates are off by a month, and spelling errors such as Ronnie McNair and a total messup with the European Series on pages 338 & 339 which is series ZT not ZB and also noted that every one the catalogue number should be one number higher that what she shows. I did find 40561 to be correct but 13 others were not. There may be others wrong as well but I don't have all the records. There as also missing numbers such as 40848-Four Tops Hot Nights/Again b/w Medley Of Hits, so there could be others missing. I don't find her data to be the gospel truth in various parts.

yeah she basically tried to do the impossible which is provide an encyclopedic analysis of the entire history of motown. admirable but not entirely successful. I also found her personal analysis of some of the classic motown material to be questionable. but to each their own