[REMOVE ADS]

Robert Plotnik, Owner of the Legendary Bleecker Bob's Records, Dies

A sad day for NYC music lovers. I spent many a ducat there over the years. Rest in power:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/03/o...e=sectionfront

Thanks for posting this or I never would have known about it. In the late 1960's and 1970's I visited his store a lot of times on my adventures into NYC. It was interesting to know he had a store in Los Angeles and also London. Wow, those were the days. They will never return, unfortunately, but his memory and legacy will always survive.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    Thanks for posting this or I never would have known about it. In the late 1960's and 1970's I visited his store a lot of times on my adventures into NYC. It was interesting to know he had a store in Los Angeles and also London. Wow, those were the days. They will never return, unfortunately, but his memory and legacy will always survive.
    I had no idea about his other locations, either. Yes, his Village location was a serious touchstone.

After they were forced to close Colony Records in Times Square, I kind of lost my faith in humanity. Bleecker Bob's was also a landmark store. Rest in peace Mr. Plotnik and thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    After they were forced to close Colony Records in Times Square, I kind of lost my faith in humanity. Bleecker Bob's was also a landmark store. Rest in peace Mr. Plotnik and thank you.
    A lot of people felt sad about Colony’s closing, but they left a bad taste in my mouth. I found the staff there consistently disrespectful and uncouth, so I was secretly happy to see them go. Not so Bleecker Bob’s; I always felt that my business was valued and appreciated whenever I shopped there.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    A lot of people felt sad about Colony’s closing, but they left a bad taste in my mouth. I found the staff there consistently disrespectful and uncouth, so I was secretly happy to see them go. Not so Bleecker Bob’s; I always felt that my business was valued and appreciated whenever I shopped there.
    Oh the people working at the Colony Record store were downright nasty. I first shopped there in the mid 80s very late one night. I asked them why were all of the records not in their sleeves. The response was something like "are you going to buy something or not"? LOL! They did have an incredible collection of old, rare albums but very overpriced.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  21.1 KB
    When was "Bleeker Bob's" in Los Angeles? I've never heard of it. Did he sell R&B and Soul music? If so, I wonder why I never heard of it [[unless he was there in the '80s and '90s, when I just visited there for a couple months a year, and really didn't look for records).

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    When visiting from the UK, you'd make a dash for those places.

As I remember it, Colony was not a place you'd pick up a bargain but it meant that it would have what you want...only at a price!

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 144
    When was "Bleeker Bob's" in Los Angeles? I've never heard of it. Did he sell R&B and Soul music? If so, I wonder why I never heard of it [[unless he was there in the '80s and '90s, when I just visited there for a couple months a year, and really didn't look for records).
    Robb, it's in the link posted by sansradio :

"In the mid-1980s, Mr. Plotnik opened a branch of the store on Melrose Avenue in Los Angeles"

Views: 137
    That explains it. During the mid 1980s and all through the 1990s, I was living in Den Haag, Netherlands, and only visiting L.A. for a couple of months a year, and busy there, helping my invalid mother, and never looking for records. I never really looked for records again in USA after the early 1980s, when I was working with Airwave Records.