[REMOVE ADS]

Four Tops Christmas album

I recently purchased the Four Tops "Christmas Here With You" with some trepidation as I hadn't realised that the Tops had recorded a Christmas album. Got to say I am pleasantly surprised at the high quality of the production, the great harmonies and of course the sublime lead vocals of Levi Stubbs. One or two quirky tracks but on the whole this is an excellent album.
    The album was released in 1995 so was this the last studio album recorded by the original four members for Motown or any other label.

I bought it years ago. It is a great album.

I really enjoy their Christmas album. As you said, one or two quirky tracks but so much to enjoy. I've used Christmas Here With You on many Christmas playlists.

"Christmas Here With You" became an instant favorite of mine.

Hey, thanks guys! I love "Christmas Here With You", which I had never heard before. I just ordered a copy of the Four Tops' Christmas CD from Amazon. Thanks again!

I need to get another copy of the original 1995 release. Hate the look of the 2005 MILLENNIUM COLLECTION re release. Awful packaging.

The original CD packaging is nothing special either

Quote Originally Posted by Fourtopsbiggestfan View Post
    I need to get another copy of the original 1995 release. Hate the look of the 2005 MILLENNIUM COLLECTION re release. Awful packaging.
    Yes, I bought the 1995 release when it came out. It does have a nice package. I have played it each year since. Anita Baker also has a great Christmas CD.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Yes, I bought the 1995 release when it came out. It does have a nice package. I have played it each year since. Anita Baker also has a great Christmas CD.
    Wish the original had more photos though. Christmas Delight is a favorite. And Duke on Away in a Manger.

Quote Originally Posted by Fourtopsbiggestfan View Post
    Wish the original had more photos though. Christmas Delight is a favorite. And Duke on Away in a Manger.
    Yeah, the total packaging was sparse using nice graphics/font. I love "Christmas Delight" I was also more than pleasantly surprised to hear Aretha guesting on this album.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Hey, thanks guys! I love "Christmas Here With You", which I had never heard before. I just ordered a copy of the Four Tops' Christmas CD from Amazon. Thanks again!
    It was easy to miss; it didn't get much publicity at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    It was easy to miss; it didn't get much publicity at the time.
    And that's a shame, 144man. But better late than never. My CD copy is scheduled to arrive tomorrow [[Thursday).

With reference to my original question, was this the last studio album released by the original members of the group?

It appears that it was. I am only able to find one cd recorded after this one, a live venture with just Duke & Obie on it [[with Ronnie & Theo), done right before Obie passed away.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    With reference to my original question, was this the last studio album released by the original members of the group?
    I believe so because Lawrence passed in '97.

After all the favorable discussion about the 4T Christmas CD, I just realized that I had it in my collection but hadn't played it for some time. So I listened to it again. It is a great CD.

I was reading the notes in the front insert and noticed something that I wonder if anyone else noticed. There were three locations where the recording took and one of them much to my surprise was United Sound Studios, Detroit, MI [[Strings, Percussion, and Woodwinds). So obviously United Sound Studios was heavily involved in this production. That is great news in my opinion. Was anyone else aware of this fact?