[REMOVE ADS]

Ed and the Supremes

Ed has more rhythm than I realized!https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fmzA-mGSSUM

Ed dearly loved the Supremes.

he was angry when BG backed out on dianas first solo appearance by keeping her off tv for like a year. that was the end for the Supremes and Ed, a second appearance for the Supremes in late 70 to appear with the 4 tops was cancelled.

Diana Ross looks like Dionne Warwick in that clip.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Ed has more rhythm than I realized!https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fmzA-mGSSUM
    Great find Luke; thanks for sharing! According to BG's autobiography, To Be Loved, Diana Ross didn't like "You're Nobody 'Til Somebody Loves You" and initially refused to sing the song. When Berry challenged her on this, he told her "it's either Me or your Career". Diana eventually relented [[saying she still didn't like the tune but she did it for BG). And it's a good thing she did because "You're Nobody.." was one of the highlights of The Supremes' live shows & TV appearances during the '60s [[and it looks like Ed Sullivan had a good time being on stage with the group in this clip).

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    he was angry when BG backed out on dianas first solo appearance by keeping her off tv for like a year. that was the end for the Supremes and Ed, a second appearance for the Supremes in late 70 to appear with the 4 tops was cancelled.
    Another reason why berry had no business running things. Stupid decisions that make my blood boil.

Quote Originally Posted by Fourtopsbiggestfan View Post
    Another reason why berry had no business running things. Stupid decisions that make my blood boil.
    He is human. He developed tunnel vision [[with some help). Over the years he's let it slip that he regretted it.

Not sure when ED Sullivan was canceled probably in 1971 and I believe Berry thought Ross was not going to .be over exposed at the time on TV. Perhaps it was to drive up the $$ and desire to get her out there. I am certain he wanted to position her in a higher draw but due to his own fault he hesitated on "Mountain" and released "Reach Out". That is where the challenge came in. Although, "Reach Out" finally got its way up the chart and became a signature song for Diana's concert, it is "Mountain" that she still sings.
    At any rate ED was probably giving notice the show would probably retire after 23 years and he was looking for some big draw artists for his show.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Not sure when ED Sullivan was canceled probably in 1971 and I believe Berry thought Ross was not going to .be over exposed at the time on TV. Perhaps it was to drive up the $$ and desire to get her out there. I am certain he wanted to position her in a higher draw but due to his own fault he hesitated on "Mountain" and released "Reach Out". That is where the challenge came in. Although, "Reach Out" finally got its way up the chart and became a signature song for Diana's concert, it is "Mountain" that she still sings.
    At any rate ED was probably giving notice the show would probably retire after 23 years and he was looking for some big draw artists for his show.
    I believe the last new episode aired early in 1971 and featured Gladys Knight and the Pips singing IF I WERE YOUR WOMAN and BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I believe the last new episode aired early in 1971 and featured Gladys Knight and the Pips singing IF I WERE YOUR WOMAN and BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER.
    True. At that time, CBS was trying to attract a younger generation and was cancelling shows like Beverly Hillbillies and Pettycoat Junction. After 23 years, CBS thought that Ed was attracting an older generation and canceled his show too. I think they were wrong. If there was an act that you did not care for, wait five minutes or so and there would be something that you like.

They gave Ed no notice of a cancellation and so there never was a series finale. The last original program was with Gladys and Pips. The rest of the season was reruns.

How cruel of CBS to dismiss Ed without warning after a twenty three year run. He was heartbroken about the cancellation.

But in retrospect, he must have been ill at the time, because he died two years later of cancer

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    Back in the day I read [[as I mentioned in another thread, my memorabilia is in the attic) that Diana Ross and The Supremes were going to be on the Sullivan show and introduce the new Supremes and solo Diana - so in effect all 3 acts would perform on the same show. Of course, it never materialized. I imagine it would have been quite a ratings-getter for Sullivan. I suppose having the DRATS final performance in December and the new Supremes in February he hoped to have solo Diana soon after. I can imagine he would be a bit miffed. Maybe there were too many plans or projects for the group and Diana at that time.

I have heard that prime-time television contracts, particularly for variety shows, stipulated that a performer could not appear on another similar show for about 3 weeks before and/or after that appearance. Not sure how valid that is but it was a good rule-of-thumb that I used checking TV schedules. I would comb the TV Guide weekly for scheduled appearances and sure enough it was rare to see them on competing prime-time broadcasts within days or even a couple of weeks [[daytime syndicated shows and summer reruns appear to be exceptions). Of course, there must have been other exceptions.

When you think of it you never saw The Supremes on Hollywood Palace on Saturday and on the Ed Sullivan Show the next night. The Supremes were on television almost once a month but rarely singing the same song, particularly a current release, as a previous appearance. Or so it seems, or what my aging brain recalls.

[[Since this is the second thread that I've mentioned my memorabilia in the attic I think I should plan in 2019 to organize the articles and clippings by year for quick reference.)
    Last edited by johnjeb; 12-09-2018 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    True. At that time, CBS was trying to attract a younger generation and was cancelling shows like Beverly Hillbillies and Pettycoat Junction. After 23 years, CBS thought that Ed was attracting an older generation and canceled his show too. I think they were wrong. If there was an act that you did not care for, wait five minutes or so and there would be something that you like.

They gave Ed no notice of a cancellation and so there never was a series finale. The last original program was with Gladys and Pips. The rest of the season was reruns.

How cruel of CBS to dismiss Ed without warning after a twenty three year run. He was heartbroken about the cancellation.

But in retrospect, he must have been ill at the time, because he died two years later of cancer
    Ed Sullivan was also an alcoholic. That could have contributed to his health decline and his death in 1974.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    Back in the day I read [[as I mentioned in another thread, my memorabilia is in the attic) that Diana Ross and The Supremes were going to be on the Sullivan show and introduce the new Supremes and solo Diana - so in effect all 3 acts would perform on the same show. Of course, it never materialized. I imagine it would have been quite a ratings-getter for Sullivan. I suppose having the DRATS final performance in December and the new Supremes in February he hoped to have solo Diana soon after. Maybe her upcoming April TV Special contract nixed that plan. I can imagine he would be a bit miffed.

I have heard that prime-time television contracts, particularly for variety shows, stipulated that a performer could not appear on another similar show for about 3 weeks before and/or after that appearance. Not sure how valid that is but it was a good rule-of-thumb that I used checking TV schedules. I would comb the TV Guide weekly for scheduled appearances and sure enough it was rare to see them on competing prime-time broadcasts within days or even a couple of weeks [[daytime syndicated shows and summer reruns appear to be exceptions). Of course, there must have been other exceptions.

When you think of it you never saw The Supremes on Hollywood Palace on Saturday and on the Ed Sullivan Show the next night. The Supremes were on television almost once a month but rarely singing the same song, particularly a current release, as a previous appearance. Or so it seems, or what my aging brain recalls.

[[Since this is the second thread that I've mentioned my memorabilia in the attic I think I should plan in 2019 to organize the articles and clippings by year for quick reference.)
    That Diana Ross TV special did not air until April 1971. There was plenty of time for her to appear on the Ed Sullivan Show from the time she left the Supremes to the time of the special.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    That Diana Ross TV special did not air until April 1971. There was plenty of time for her to appear on the Ed Sullivan Show from the time she left the Supremes to the time of the special.
    OMG you're right...lol...what was I thinking...I should have known better because my grandmother died the next day, April 19, 1971, the Diana! Special was April 18, 1971. Her apartment was on the 1st floor of our two-family home and she was so annoyed that we had the volume up so loud [[my younger siblings loved the J5)...I did mention my aging memory - yikes...I will amend my post...thanks, marv2, for pointing-out my error....much appreciated...
    Last edited by johnjeb; 12-09-2018 at 01:42 PM.

OMG you're right...lol...what was I thinking...I should have known better because my grandmother died the next day, April 19, 1971, the Diana! Special was April 18, 1971. Her apartment was on the 1st floor of our two-family home and she was so annoyed that we had the volume up so loud [[my younger siblings loved the J5)...I did mention my aging memory - yikes...I will amend my post...thanks, marv2, for pointing-out my error....much appreciated...
    Johnjeb you're welcome, but that's not real important. I am sorry for the loss of your grandmother even if it's been a while.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Johnjeb you're welcome, but that's not real important. I am sorry for the loss of your grandmother even if it's been a while.
    Thanks. It's almost 50 years. When we talk of her we mention and laugh about how she would bang on the radiator pipe for us to turn down the TV. That's what she did during the Diana! Special. "Yes you'll remember the times we fought but don't forget me in your tender thoughts." So very true.

I thought Gordy kept Ross off television because he wanted her to be like Streisand with these big TV specials that would be a huge draw. She did a few TV appearances like The Merv Griffin Show and Make Room For Granddaddy in 1970, but she wasn't necessarily soaring on the charts in those first two years of her solo career. I have to wonder if she made a few more TV appearances if it would have helped "Reach Out And Touch" or "Surrender" do better chartwise.

I've often wondered how Sullivan and other shows of that era booked their guests. One would think that an act would be booked months in advance, but when you look at the Supremes, they were always promoting their latest hit. So I question: were release dates planned to coincide with high profile appearances? Or did shows book artists at the last minute?

Totally unrelated: Sullivan was filmed in NYC. Did the Supremes fly in and fly out? Or did they have other business in NY? And a silly question: what airline did they use?

^they would have been flying in and out of La Guardia. and back in the 60s, the airlines didn't really use the hub-spoke system as much. all routes were awarded by the CAB [[Civil Aeronautics Board) and airlines could only fly those routes. they couldn't simply pick and choose which cities they served. The idea was to help guarantee air service to all markets and cities

The airlines that they flew would have been totally dependent on their next destination. there were lots of smaller regional airlines at the time - Northeast, Piedmont, Mohawk plus the larger US airlines like TWA, American, United, Eastern. They probably were on most US airlines, if not all, during the 60s as they were constantly criss-crossing the country for shows

After they hit it big, my question would be did they still drive or take buses? obviously once they were popular they wouldn't have been on a crummy and dirty old bus like the Motortown Revue in 62. but wonder if when doing one-nighters if they always flew or drove

Back in the day I read [[as I mentioned in another thread, my memorabilia is in the attic) that Diana Ross and The Supremes were going to be on the Sullivan show and introduce the new Supremes and solo Diana - so in effect all 3 acts would perform on the same show. Of course, it never materialized. I imagine it would have been quite a ratings-getter for Sullivan. I suppose having the DRATS final performance in December and the new Supremes in February he hoped to have solo Diana soon after. I can imagine he would be a bit miffed. Maybe there were too many plans or projects for the group and Diana at that time.
    wow - interesting idea. hadn't heard this one before. might have been just part of the typical Motown PR dept. Perhaps they could have used some of the Farewell footage. Although Farewell was in Vegas, it is surprising that there wasn't more national press around it. radio interviews, PR spots, tv

I remember reading Flo did not like flying. Was it as severe as Aretha? I assume not.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    After they hit it big, my question would be did they still drive or take buses? obviously once they were popular they wouldn't have been on a crummy and dirty old bus like the Motortown Revue in 62. but wonder if when doing one-nighters if they always flew or drove
    I have an interview Mary & Cindy did for a Cleveland magazine in 1968 and they discussed their tour bus driving through a snowstorm to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    ^they would have been flying in and out of La Guardia. and back in the 60s, the airlines didn't really use the hub-spoke system as much. all routes were awarded by the CAB [[Civil Aeronautics Board) and airlines could only fly those routes. they couldn't simply pick and choose which cities they served. The idea was to help guarantee air service to all markets and cities

The airlines that they flew would have been totally dependent on their next destination. there were lots of smaller regional airlines at the time - Northeast, Piedmont, Mohawk plus the larger US airlines like TWA, American, United, Eastern. They probably were on most US airlines, if not all, during the 60s as they were constantly criss-crossing the country for shows

Pan Am was huge in the sixties and was headquartered for a time in NYC.

^true but Pan Am did not have any domestic US routes. they were solely international. Of course when the girls would fly overseas, they'd surely flew Pan Am. and of course they'd also fly international airlines too. TWA also flew international at this time [[mostly Europe), Eastern to Latin and S America and NW Orient to Asia.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I thought Gordy kept Ross off television because he wanted her to be like Streisand with these big TV specials that would be a huge draw. She did a few TV appearances like The Merv Griffin Show and Make Room For Granddaddy in 1970, but she wasn't necessarily soaring on the charts in those first two years of her solo career. I have to wonder if she made a few more TV appearances if it would have helped "Reach Out And Touch" or "Surrender" do better chartwise.
    It shouldn't surprise us to find out the Berry Gordy limited Diana Ross' TV appearances to insure huge ratings for her TV Specials. According to B.G.'s book, To Be Loved, Diana's first solo concert in Las Vegas was far from a sellout. Berry [[and an assistant) had torn up dollar bills in half, handled them out to people on the street and told them they would get the other half when they attended the show. And since Motown pulled out all the promotional stops for Diana's singles, I don't think that having her do more TV would've helped the sales of "Reach Out And Touch" & "Surrender"