[REMOVE ADS]

That Time the Supremes Opened For Judy Garland, Part 2 of 2

Thanks to the blog 'Today In Judy Garland's Life and Career' !

By that time, Judy’s health was seriously failing but she could still always draw a crowd. The Supremes were riding high with “I Hear A Symphony,” which was, to all intents and purposes, their first “adult contemporary” single. They had also wowed ‘em at the Copa by that time and internal problems had not escalated as they did in time, so it was propitious for them, and probably for Judy as well. To have seen both acts, one at the beginning of a stupendous career and one at the end, could only have been an intense experience.

Can you imagine paying only $7.50 for the best seats in the house? How times have changed.

That’s 55.31 with inflation. Lol. Still a super deal.

What did Judy Garland do besides the Wizard of oz? Serious question- I have no answer

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    What did Judy Garland do besides the Wizard of oz? Serious question- I have no answer
    About 10 movies with Mickey Rooney, Meet Me in St. Louis, For Me and My Gal with Astaire, A Star is Born. She was one of the top grossing movie stars of the 1940s at MGM. Her own TV show. Historically important concerts at the Palladium, Palace, Carnegie Hall, and on-and-on-and-on. 95 weeks on the Billboard charts for Judy at Carnegie Hall. Judy still is an American cultural icon.

she appeared in 34 films - Wizard of Oz, Broadway melody of 1938, a whole slew of Mickey Rooney films, Meet me in st louis, Easter Parade, Ziegfeld Follies, A Star is Born, Judgement at Nuremberg plus many more

was a successful vaudeville performer with her sisters appearing in many productions in big theaters and some movie shorts

made over 1,100 stage appearances in top theaters around the world including London Palladium, The Talk of the Town, Carnegie Hall, the Met, Hollywood Bowl

Earned multiple emmy's for her tv work

tons of records sold with Decca and Capital labels

Opening paragraph from Wikipedia:
    Judy Garland [[born Frances Ethel Gumm; June 10, 1922 – June 22, 1969) was an American singer, actress, dancer, and vaudevillian. During a career that spanned 45 years, she attained international stardom as an actress in both musical and dramatic roles, as a recording artist, and on the concert stage.[1][2] Respected for her versatility, she received a juvenile Academy Award, a Golden Globe Award, and a Special Tony Award. Garland was the first woman to win the Grammy Award for Album of the Year for her live recording Judy at Carnegie Hall [[1961).

Read more [[you might need about a week or so):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judy_Garland

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...y_Judy_Garland

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...d_performances

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...y_Judy_Garland

Dude. You're Canadian, so we kinda understand. But ... If nothing else, Judy at Carnegie is still legendarily regarded as the greatest live concert ever. Give that release a listen!

Also birffed out Liza, who, at her peak was as electric a performer as has ever been. Liza's many NYC residencies from the early 70's on are legendary.

So, technically, The Supremes were the first entertainers to perform at the Houston Astrodome, since they opened the show for Garland!

^good point!

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Also birffed out Liza, who, at her peak was as electric a performer as has ever been. Liza's many NYC residencies from the early 70's on are legendary.
    LOL! nothing, but nothing, compares to her [[Liza's) performances on Arrested Development.

If nothing else, Judy at Carnegie is still legendarily regarded as the greatest live concert ever.
    Without question.

What was Arrested Development then?!!

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    So, technically, The Supremes were the first entertainers to perform at the Houston Astrodome, since they opened the show for Garland!
    They listed this achievement in the notes for Diana's ALL THE GREAT HITS album. It was many years before I found out that they shared the bill with Judy.

One of the funniest and most underrated American sitcoms ever created. Genius writing, perfect casting, crazy and hysterical plot lines. The show was on the Fox network for three seasons. Critically acclaimed, but didn't catch on with audiences and was canceled. It's developed a devout following [[which includes me) and Netflix brought the show back years later for a fourth and now a fifth season.

A basic synopsis:
    The show revolves around the members of the Bluth family, a formerly wealthy real estate family who continue to lead extravagant lifestyles despite their changed circumstances when the family patriarch runs into trouble with the law. The family then find themselves drawn into crazy and outlandish situations where they dig themselves deeper into a hole.

Basically it's a show about the Trumps years before the Trump family got themselves into their mess. Actually, they were talking about "the wall" before Trump even announced his presidency.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    One of the funniest and most underrated American sitcoms ever created. Genius writing, perfect casting, crazy and hysterical plot lines. The show was on the Fox network for three seasons. Critically acclaimed, but didn't catch on with audiences and was canceled. It's developed a devout following [[which includes me) and Netflix brought the show back years later for a fourth and now a fifth season.

A basic synopsis:
    The show revolves around the members of the Bluth family, a formerly wealthy real estate family who continue to lead extravagant lifestyles despite their changed circumstances when the family patriarch runs into trouble with the law. The family then find themselves drawn into crazy and outlandish situations where they dig themselves deeper into a hole.

Basically it's a show about the Trumps years before the Trump family got themselves into their mess. Actually, they were talking about "the wall" before Trump even announced his presidency.
    YES! The Bluths pre-trumped djt! Never made the connection -

Many many years ago, WCBS FM NYC had a trivia contest trying to stump the dj. I called in and asked what pop group opened for Garland at the Astromdom. The dj did not know so I "won" a t-shirt. Ten minutes later the dj announced on air that the caller, me, lied about the question and answer, and thus I would not receive their lousy t-shirt.

This thread vindicated me, but I am sure the WCBS bastards are not reading this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    LOL! nothing, but nothing, compares to her [[Liza's) performances on Arrested Development.
    'It's 8AM somewhere, Buster. Let's JUICE!!!'

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    Many many years ago, WCBS FM NYC had a trivia contest trying to stump the dj. I called in and asked what pop group opened for Garland at the Astromdom. The dj did not know so I "won" a t-shirt. Ten minutes later the dj announced on air that the caller, me, lied about the question and answer, and thus I would not receive their lousy t-shirt.

This thread vindicated me, but I am sure the WCBS bastards are not reading this thread.
    That is a sad story. I remember those trivia contests. That was a tough question you gave them, but , they had the sources to verify it.

Well, at least youy feel vindicated.

I wonder what percentage of the audience came to see Judy versus the Supremes? Whomever put this package together was brilliant; perhaps filling the seats with a "younger" crowd that might not be familiar with Garland's catalog.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I wonder what percentage of the audience came to see Judy versus the Supremes? Whomever put this package together was brilliant; perhaps filling the seats with a "younger" crowd that might not be familiar with Garland's catalog.
    I recall reading in a Judy bio that the concert wasn't a huge success. So the venue might have been too big regardless. 60,000 seats are a lot to fill.

Dude. You're Canadian, so we kinda understand. But ... If nothing else, Judy at Carnegie is still legendarily regarded as the greatest live concert ever. Give that release a listen!
    I'm Canadian and I am a big Judy Garland fan. I think most of the general public who don't have a bigger interest in show tunes, classic films and the theatrical world, don't really know much about her other than the Wizard of Oz, her daughter and her troubled life.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I'm Canadian and I am a big Judy Garland fan. I think most of the general public who don't have a bigger interest in show tunes, classic films and the theatrical world, don't really know much about her other than the Wizard of Oz, her daughter and her troubled life.
    The "general public" are idiots, quite frankly. They'd follow a lemming with a blinking "clearance price" sticker over a cliff [[edit: with all due respect).

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    The "general public" are idiots, quite frankly. They'd follow a lemming with a blinking "clearance price" sticker over a cliff [[edit: with all due respect).
    Thanx, how dare you! I told you I thought that sticker said "newly discovered previously unreleased Supremes Sing Mother Goose"!! And I told you what happened when I followed that lemming in the strictest of confidences, you dick!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ranran79 View Post
    thanx, how dare you! I told you i thought that sticker said "newly discovered previously unreleased supremes sing mother goose"!! And i told you what happened when i followed that lemming in the strictest of confidences, you dick!!!
    lolololol!!!