[REMOVE ADS]

That Time the Supremes Opened For Judy Garland, Part 1 of 2

To have seen that show. Supremes + Judy. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    To have seen that show. Supremes + Judy. Wow.
    Right?? Between the two acts and the venue it's surprising it was not filmed, at least as a promo.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Right?? Between the two acts and the venue it's surprising it was not filmed, at least as a promo.
    There was A LOT of Judy's work that should have been filmed. Its astounding that her Carnegie Hall concert was left unfilmed.

Wrong forum! Please move.

This does not belong here. It belongs in the sub forum.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    There was A LOT of Judy's work that should have been filmed. Its astounding that her Carnegie Hall concert was left unfilmed.
    It surely is. Especially after Carnegie was such a triumph it seems a subsequent date in another venue would have been filmed. And the Judy/Liza Palladium show was erased but for less than an hour. I'm sure glad we have the Garland series on DVD; I bought the 2 boxed sets when they were released and they are superb. The Garland blog has TONS of audio, though and is worth a look & listen.

i've seen just clips of grainy material that might be at Carnegie. or of performances during that time. of course she sang much of the material on tv and recorded it for Capital. but not quite the same.

But back in the day, there just wasn't the need for video footage. tv had all of 3 channels and none of them offered 24/7 programming. I don't know if anyone did a "concert video" before the TAMI show.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i've seen just clips of grainy material that might be at Carnegie. or of performances during that time. of course she sang much of the material on tv and recorded it for Capital. but not quite the same.

But back in the day, there just wasn't the need for video footage. tv had all of 3 channels and none of them offered 24/7 programming. I don't know if anyone did a "concert video" before the TAMI show.
    Someone shot a home movie at the Carnegie concert and later some of it was synced up with the album's audio. They showed a bit during the PBS special JUDY GARLAND: THE CONCERT YEARS. But the quality was bad. So many classic concerts, not to mention Broadway shows, were never taped.

Re concert video, there was the video of the 1963 Motortown Revue at the Apollo, but it was never shown anywhere [[to my knowledge) until years later during Motown's Apollo special.