[REMOVE ADS]

Rare Earth RS516 - Power of Zeus - The Gospel According To Zeus

From DISCOGS

POWER OF ZEUS - US psychedelic rock band from Detroit, Michigan.

Formed in 1968 by vocalist / guitarist Joe Periano, who was joined by bassist/vocalist Bill Jones, drummer Bob Michalski, and organist Dennie Webber. Initially going by the name of Gangrene, the quartet became the unofficial house band at the Wooden Nickel club, where they were spotted by a local manager. Motown subsidiary Rare Earth signed the band on the condition they find a new name. Having decided upon Power of Zeus they began work on what would become their sole album The Gospel According To Zeus, released in 1970. Though a flop at the time, the LP has become highly sought after with crate diggers.

The album is available on CD - one example is pictured here ...
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...57691667762601

The complete album is available on YouTube here

This is a really interesting group and album. The music isn't really my thang but I do have a sneaky little soft spot for "It Couldn't Be Me"

Revisited some of the tracks from this album and I'm still not sure what to make of it!

I have a soft spot for "Green Grass and Clover" - heavy rock has never been my thing. Yet the Rare Earth label has thrown up some gems. The thread you've linked to was one of the most interesting on the Forum. Having bought the two Pretty Things CDs "SF Sorrow" and "Parachute" I am now a fan of their music. I really enjoy the Matrix and the Wolfe CDs as well.

Per Ralph's book "The Road Through Motown" [[p184), Joe Periano went on to produce Luther Allison's "Bad News Is Coming" and "Luther's Blues" LPs for the Gordy label in 1972/4. He's "Peraino" in Ralph's book and on the Allison LP credits, but "Periano" on the Power of Zeus LP writer credits.
    Last edited by keith_hughes; 12-28-2018 at 06:43 AM.

Keith, I never noticed the mispelling on the album. Peraino is correct.

Luther Allison's "Bad News Is Coming" and "Luther's Blues" are both available on CD with bonus previously unreleased tracks. However, Luther's other album, "Night Life" doesn't seem to be available on CD for some reason.
    Name:  Luther Allison CD Composite.jpg
Views: 5425
Size:  105.6 KB
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 12-28-2018 at 03:30 PM.