[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. A Question, A Longshot. Hoping Keith Hughs will see this!

    One of the Motown's bigger mysteries seems to surround EVERYONE involved with The Hit Pack, including "The Three Roberts": Robert Staunton, Robert Walker, Robert Dobyne...and Charles Walker. Though maybe they didn't create music as commercial as Motown would have liked, they did create some of Motown's most um, intense moments on wax.

    Are there more of their recordings in the vaults? And the longshot question: I've always loved the torrid, bluesy "Never Say No To Your Baby." The music is wound about as tight as you can get and sounds as if it would have exploded had it been cut any hotter. Is there a track that exists before the vocals were recorded? Maybe it could be included in a track list should another Motown collection like "Motown Guys" appears in some future release (like the release of the music track for the Isley's "Tell Me It's Just A Rumour Baby."

    In the meantime, maybe folks here have some insight into The Three Roberts (plus Charles). I know it's been brought up before (and before and before) but it's just about a new year, and maybe someone has some new information to share on these men.

  2. #2
    I like this song. I've heard it before. Thanks

  3. #3
    This'll probably help a little:
    "The Hit Pack were one of Motown's mystery groups,seemingly formed around writer/producers Robert Staunton and Robert Walker and fronted by singer Robert Dobyne. Staunton and Walker worked at Hitsville during 1964 and 1965, writing about 30 songs that spawned about 60 recordings. Despite this prolific work they never got a hit for the company".

    Straight from the horse's mouth. Hope it provided assistance.

    Extracted from the liner notes of Ace/Kent's stellar "One Track Mind! More Motown Guys".

  4. #4
    Here's one more for you:

    " The Hit Pack recorded 12 sides at Motown between December 1964 and August 1965. "Let's Dance" and "Never Say No To Your Baby" were released as a single, but none of the others have been issued until now. The Group's story has never been accurately documented. It's been assumed along with the two Bobby's Robert Dobyne and Charles Jones were members as their names appear in the writer's credits of the songs they recorded. Pre Motown they released a single on Colpix,while Dobyne sang lead with The Artistic. Staunton and Walker went on to make an impact at Motown, writing and producing tracks for most if it's biggest artists including The Monitors' "Say You".

    I adjusted a few things to condense it, but this is all Keith H., Detailed and informative as can be.

    Extracted from Ace/Kent's stellar "Satisfaction Guaranteed! Motown Guys 1961-1969".

  5. Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    Here's one more for you:

    " The Hit Pack recorded 12 sides at Motown between December 1964 and August 1965. "Let's Dance" and "Never Say No To Your Baby" were released as a single, but none of the others have been issued until now. The Group's story has never been accurately documented. It's been assumed along with the two Bobby's Robert Dobyne and Charles Jones were members as their names appear in the writer's credits of the songs they recorded. Pre Motown they released a single on Colpix,while Dobyne sang lead with The Artistic. Staunton and Walker went on to make an impact at Motown, writing and producing tracks for most if it's biggest artists including The Monitors' "Say You".

    I adjusted a few things to condense it, but this is all Keith H., Detailed and informative as can be.

    Extracted from Ace/Kent's stellar "Satisfaction Guaranteed! Motown Guys 1961-1969".
    Yep, read all that and everything else I could get my hands on through the Motown CD releases. A few years ago here, someone actually had what they thought was Robert Dobyne's phone number. I never got the courage to try calling him as there was also a story about how he may have had some "issues" going on. I didn't want to open a can of worms if the number was indeed his.

    I've just always been intrigued by the oddness of the fact that these guys pretty much were there at Motown for a in '64 and all of them gone by August of '65. They also recorded some of the most interesting songs ever at Motown. I love their work with The Monitors, Tempts, and Martha, but to me, their greatest contribution was with The Marvelettes' "Tonight Was Made For Love." And "Little Girls Grow Up" seemed to also be not just a song title, but indicative of the fact that The Marvelettes were growing up too.

  6. Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I like this song. I've heard it before. Thanks
    You're welcome Marv. It's definitely like Blues meets Motown with the results set to STUN.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    A few years ago here, someone actually had what they thought was Robert Dobyne's phone number. I never got the courage to try calling him as there was also a story about how he may have had some "issues" going on. I didn't want to open a can of worms if the number was indeed his.
    I'd take the chance if I were you. So much mystery around this bunch, what better source than one of the persons involved? What kind of issues are said to have been going on? Sometimes you have to take information in the forum with a grain of salt. Somebody "heard/thought they heard/simply made it up" all the time and then pass it around here and it becomes fact. So you might be missing out on an opportunity because of misinformation. If you still have the number, try calling and see what happens. What's the worst that could happen vs best case scenario? Good luck!

  8. #8
    I ran across a weird thing about Dobyne & the Pack years ago when I was researching them, then it disappeared. Now it's back again, here: http://prince.org/msg/8/443551.

    If this is him, then yes, I would say there were "issues" ...

    Other than that, I think Quinn has said it all for me. Thank you Sir!

  9. #9
    Yeah I remember reading about the, erm, issues on the Motown Junkies website: https://motownjunkies.co.uk/2012/12/03/556/. I also remember liking this song when I checked it out before, and I tell you what, 2016 Tom was on the money.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    I ran across a weird thing about Dobyne & the Pack years ago when I was researching them, then it disappeared. Now it's back again, here: http://prince.org/msg/8/443551.

    If this is him, then yes, I would say there were "issues" ...

    Other than that, I think Quinn has said it all for me. Thank you Sir!
    Oh geez........hehehehehehehehe!

  11. #11
    I now believe the Mob rumor. Wow.

  12. Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I'd take the chance if I were you. So much mystery around this bunch, what better source than one of the persons involved? What kind of issues are said to have been going on? Sometimes you have to take information in the forum with a grain of salt. Somebody "heard/thought they heard/simply made it up" all the time and then pass it around here and it becomes fact. So you might be missing out on an opportunity because of misinformation. If you still have the number, try calling and see what happens. What's the worst that could happen vs best case scenario? Good luck!
    Ok, I bought into the strangeness, maybe because nearly everything associated with these guys seems like strange and unfinished business. I probably should not have made that comment and I do believe I am going to give calling Mr. Dobyne a try. Like you said, what's the worst that can happen?

    (Wait, I said that same thing when I bought my last car...that didn't turn out so groovy.)

  13. #13
    One wonders how Dobyne was going "to take Gordy's company " from him.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post

    And the longshot question: I've always loved the torrid, bluesy "Never Say No To Your Baby." The music is wound about as tight as you can get and sounds as if it would have exploded had it been cut any hotter. Is there a track that exists before the vocals were recorded?
    Yes, there is. See my post #30 in the thread "John Manship Acetate Tapes" in the Soulful Detroit Forum.

    The Staunton - Walker tracks by Tommy Good are also rather good.

  15. Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Yes, there is. See my post #30 in the thread "John Manship Acetate Tapes" in the Soulful Detroit Forum.

    The Staunton - Walker tracks by Tommy Good are also rather good.
    Dashing out the door to go to work, but will definitely check that out when I get home later tonight! And yes, I love their work with Tommy, especially "Something To Talk About."

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.