[REMOVE ADS]

Marvin Gaye Records

Marvin Gaye is one of my favorite artists. I'd like to know what was your first record by Marvin that you bought. It could have been a 45 single, LP, cassette, CD etc. Also, why did you buy it? What was it about the record that appealed to you?

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 1058
Size:  21.1 KB
    The first Marvin Gaye lead singing vocal performance I bought was Mama Loocie by The Moonglows [[Harvey Fuqua's New Moonglows) on Chess Records from 1958 [[Chess 1738). I don't think he sang lead on any other Moonglows records I have, and I don'think he sang lead on any of the 6 Marquees' cuts I have on their 3 Okeh singles I have. I bought that because I bought ALL Moonglows records. I was disappointed that there was no ballad. The first Tamla solo record I bought by Marvin was "Never Let Me Go"/"Let Your Conscience Be Your Guide" from 1960 [[Tamla 54041). I bought that because I was buying ALL Tamla and Motown records at that time. I liked "Never Let Me Go", with its smooth vocal and light "Calypso" beat, much better than the flip. The first song by Marvin that I liked a tremendous amount was "Stubborn Kind Of Fellow".
    Last edited by robb_k; 12-02-2018 at 02:55 AM.

Marvin Gaye is my favorite male Soul singer so this is fairly easy Marv.

The very first MG titled I purchased was Universal's remastered and expanded edition if "Love Starved Heart". It was late summer 2000 and I didn't know of it's existence until I walked around Sam Goody on a peaceful Sunday afternoon. [[ remember them?. They were MusicLand first I believe). I loved the artwork and was curious in my young mind as to why UMe would release "rejects". Where's the profit in an unheard track? what's the point??LOL!!!. I was still excited nonetheless and although the $19.99 price tag made me want to call on God for a loan, I dutifully took it to the counter and bought it right at closing time. I also seen The Temptations " You've Got To Earn It 1962-1968" and made a mental note to buy that the following weekend.

After a great bite at a nearby McDonald's, I marched home to listen to my CD. After opening it, I scanned the production credits and was shocked to see Smokey Robinson's name once [[ The Tempts CD was more generous, but hey I loved Smoke). I listened to it in it's entirety and loved it as it didn't leave my player for months. Not long after the school year started I knew the lyrics to every song by heart. I loved Marvin's vocal on "It's A Lonely World Without Your Love" and Benny Benjamin's steady feel and explosiveness on the drums. He sang that song so sweetly and sincerely I thought he was telling my own story. "Darling You're Wonderful","Hangin' On" and "Sad Souvenirs" killed me too and I was so moved by his voice I started singing myself.

Without dragging this along I can say this was a great and unexpected adventure. I adored this release and went after everything my money would afford afterward. Furthermore, I cared nothing at all about singing until I heard this album and his voice and approach to storytelling moved mountains in my soul. I tried to sing like him and built up impressive chops rather quickly as a result. No singer moved me like that and I got a tutorial from The Master. I still pull it out from time to time and enjoy the songs the same as I did then.

Robb and Quinn I love both of your stories and choices. Marvin Gaye had been making records long before I was old enough to afford to buy them. My parents bought his records starting with "Stubborn Kind of Fella", but it was "Pride and Joy" that made me a fan as a young kid. I loved that record then and now. I loved the call and response between Marvin and the Vandellas, the rockin', gospelish rhythm track and especially how it starts out with the piano tickling away.

As far as my first official purchase of a Marvin Gaye record with my own money, it was "Trouble Man" the single. It just sounded cool to me. It took me probably a couple of decades to learn the part of that record where does like this rapid fire rap of

"I know some places and I've seen some faces
    I've got good connections they dig in my directions
    What people say that's okay
    They don't bother me

Ready to make it, don't fool with no women
    Don't care 'bout no trouble got myself together
    I feel a kind of protection is all around me
    This I know baby...."

Whew!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Robb and Quinn I love both of your stories and choices. Marvin Gaye had been making records long before I was old enough to afford to buy them. My parents bought his records starting with "Stubborn Kind of Fella", but it was "Pride and Joy" that made me a fan as a young kid. I loved that record then and now. I loved the call and response between Marvin and the Vandellas, the rockin', gospelish rhythm track and especially how it starts out with the piano tickling away.

As far as my first official purchase of a Marvin Gaye record with my own money, it was "Trouble Man" the single. It just sounded cool to me. It took me probably a couple of decades to learn the part of that record where does like this rapid fire rap of

"I know some places and I've seen some faces
    I've got good connections they dig in my directions
    What people say that's okay
    They don't bother me

Ready to make it, don't fool with no women
    Don't care 'bout no trouble got myself together
    I feel a kind of protection is all around me
    This I know baby...."

Whew!
    Yeah, that staccato part had my father for the longest. He bought the soundtrack in '72 and I had to write the words down and tell him verbally then sing it to him. When he says I'm ready to make it the next line is "Don't care what the weather". Given the storyline in the film, it wouldn't make sense for him to say he didn't care about women because that's all T had.

In the opening sequence at poolside,one of his girlfriends asks if she's gonna see him again. Then when he combs the city looking for answers about the Abbey Walsh murder,he talks to two other women. Cleo was his main squeeze and at the end he takes a new hire out for breakfast. So the man had chicks in rotation and Chalky and Pete shouldn't have messed with him LOL!!!.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    Yeah, that staccato part had my father for the longest. He bought the soundtrack in '72 and I had to write the words down and tell him verbally then sing it to him. When he says I'm ready to make it the next line is "Don't care what the weather". Given the storyline in the film, it wouldn't make sense for him to say he didn't care about women because that's all T had.

In the opening sequence at poolside,one of his girlfriends asks if she's gonna see him again. Then when he combs the city looking for answers about the Abbey Walsh murder,he talks to two other women. Cleo was his main squeeze and at the end he takes a new hire out for breakfast. So the man had chicks in rotation and Chalky and Pete shouldn't have messed with him LOL!!!.
    Quinn, you got the movie down pat! LOL!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 1058
Size:  21.1 KB
    The first Marvin Gaye lead singing vocal performance I bought was Mama Loocie by The Moonglows [[Harvey Fuqua's New Moonglows) on Chess Records from 1958 [[Chess 1738). I don't think he sang lead on any other Moonglows records I have, and I don'think he sang lead on any of the 6 Marquees' cuts I have on their 3 Okeh singles I have. I bought that because I bought ALL Moonglows records. I was disappointed that there was no ballad. The first Tamla solo record I bought by Marvin was "Never Let Me Go"/"Let Your Conscience Be Your Guide" from 1960 [[Tamla 54041). I bought that because I was buying ALL Tamla and Motown records at that time. I liked "Never Let Me Go", with its smooth vocal and light "Calypso" beat, much better than the flip. The first song by Marvin that I liked a tremendous amount was "Stubborn Kind Of Fellow".
    Robb, I've read about the Moonglows "Mama Loochie" till it's now legendary to me. I am going to search for it and post it here if I can find it.
    Last edited by marv2; 12-02-2018 at 12:41 AM.

Here we go......

My first Marvin Gaye that I bought - Marvin Gaye & His Girls cassette.

Yes, around that time, Motown-collecting-wise, I was gradually accumulating all the Ultimate Collections at twenty a pop, in fact, all CDs back then were twenty a pop. Early on learned that, while cassettes were still there, they were half the price of a CD, as in tapes were ten each. So, every so often, I used to peruse the tapes.

One day of tape-wall looking, lo and behold, cool and clean-cut Marvin, being the ladies man, with Mary Wells, Kim Weston, and Tammi Terrell. Before then, I knew of "Once Upon A Time", "It Takes Two", "Your Precious Love", and "Good Lovin' Ain't Easy To Come By". Before I knew it, popped it in the tape player portion of my radio, loved the fun of "What's The Matter With You Baby" and "I Can't Help But Love You", and completely entrancingly fell for "I Want You 'Round" and "Together".
    Last edited by Ngroove; 12-02-2018 at 04:43 AM.

Marvin Gaye is one of my favorite artists. I'd like to know what was your first record by Marvin that you bought. It could have been a 45 single, LP, cassette, CD etc. Also, why did you buy it? What was it about the record that appealed to you?

Good question; the first Marvin Gaye single I bought was "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" in the fall of '68. I bought it because I loved the song [[and still do). Everything from the beat of the music to Marvin's dramatic vocal really hooked me. And my first Marvin LP purchase was What's Going On.

I first bought Marvin's In The Groove LP on the back of the massive success of I Heard It Through The Grapevine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post
    My first Marvin Gaye that I bought - Marvin Gaye & His Girls cassette.

Yes, around that time, Motown-collecting-wise, I was gradually accumulating all the Ultimate Collections at twenty a pop, in fact, all CDs back then were twenty a pop. Early on learned that, while cassettes were still there, they were half the price of a CD, as in tapes were ten each. So, every so often, I used to peruse the tapes.

One day of tape-wall looking, lo and behold, cool and clean-cut Marvin, being the ladies man, with Mary Wells, Kim Weston, and Tammi Terrell. Before then, I knew of "Once Upon A Time", "It Takes Two", "Your Precious Love", and "Good Lovin' Ain't Easy To Come By". Before I knew it, popped it in the tape player portion of my radio, loved the fun of "What's The Matter With You Baby" and "I Can't Help But Love You", and completely entrancingly fell for "I Want You 'Round" and "Together".

Ngroove, Marvin's work with Mary Wells is very underrated. I have the original vinyl album and "Once Upon A Time" is a favorite of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    I first bought Marvin's In The Groove LP on the back of the massive success of I Heard It Through The Grapevine.
    rovereab, isn't there two versions of the cover art and title for that album? In my heavy record collecting days in the 80s I bought both copies. Great album.

Marvin Gaye's Greatest Hits was my first Marvin Gaye album. I'd discovered the Supremes and became interested in the other Motown artists whose albums were displayed on the inner sleeve of More Hits by the Supremes [[my very first album). Just a kid, I saved my money to get the various Greatest Hits albums in that Motown series in between my Supremes albums. [[Marvin's was my third, after The Miracles and Mary Wells). It seemed like a very slow process at the time, though of course it was just a few years.
    My first Marvin single was You're All I Need/Two Can Have a Party with Tammi Terrell. Later that year I bought my first Marvin solo single, I Heard It Through the Grapevine.
    Good memories!

Too Busy Thinking About My Baby in 69. Thanks forever to a 3 year older than me fox
    who introduced me to it at the start of summer vacation. Excellent delivery, stellar back-up vocals, hit the ground running groove; what's not to like? Like most, I loved Marvin's
    duets with Tammi Terrell but my all time fav duet by MPG was I Want You 'Round with
    Kim Weston. That precision harmony still kills me...

rovereab, isn't there two versions of the cover art and title for that album? In my heavy record collecting days in the 80s I bought both copies. Great album.
    The album received a new front cover and was retitled I Heard It Through The Grapevine. The original cover made no mention of the hit single which I am sure must have been the reason for the the change. My cover was:

Name:  51NywuOeaGL._SY355_.jpg
Views: 842
Size:  25.8 KB

It was then changed to this:

Name:  Marvin-Gaye-I-Heard-it-Through-The-Grapevine.jpg
Views: 2940
Size:  67.2 KB

Ngroove, Marvin's work with Mary Wells is very underrated. I have the original vinyl album and "Once Upon A Time" is a favorite of mine.
    I'm with you marv, it's such a beautiful song ! I just played it o my jukebox :

Thanks rovereab. I have it with both covers.

Quote Originally Posted by phil View Post
    I'm with you marv, it's such a beautiful song ! I just played it o my jukebox :

It's simple and very melodic. Their vocals were most compatible on this song.

First MG purchase was this one in '98:

Well, my story is seriously unimpressive. My dad bought Marvin's The Very Best Of Marvin Gaye CD for my nan and we listened to it in the car on a day trip. I liked the voice and bought "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" on iTunes, that was the first one, then "It Takes Two", "Ain't No Mountain", and......

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    Too Busy Thinking About My Baby in 69. Thanks forever to a 3 year older than me fox
    who introduced me to it at the start of summer vacation. Excellent delivery, stellar back-up vocals, hit the ground running groove; what's not to like? Like most, I loved Marvin's
    duets with Tammi Terrell but my all time fav duet by MPG was I Want You 'Round with
    Kim Weston. That precision harmony still kills me...
    Splanky my brother Robert and I would sing "Too Busy Thinking About My Baby" in the car on summer vacation that year. Although it was still in the 60s, it was so different from his earlier work from just a few years prior.

It's simple and very melodic. Their vocals were most compatible on this song.
    It's my favorite of all of their duets. Nice and jazzy!

my first Marvin Gaye record was "Stubborn Kind of Fellow" . My 45 said Vocal Accomp.:Vandellas. This was a big hit on Miami Pop radio.I use to stare at the LP in the record shop esp with Vandellas pic on the back.

After personally buying my first single by Marvin in 1972, I went and bought all of his vinyl albums from "That Stubborn Kind of Fella" onward. The last album I bought was "Dream of a Lifetime" in 1985 the year after his death.

Ain't That Peculiar--45--1967 I was drawn to the piano riff and the clashing sound throughout the whole song along with the general melody, background and lyrics.

Hearing "Uptight" for the first time drew me into the Motown Sound and I started to notice many Motown songs had a continuous same back beat which I started to like.

I had discovered Motown in 1967, in 1965-66 I was into James Brown / Wilson Pickett.

Quote Originally Posted by nevertoolate View Post
    Ain't That Peculiar--45--1967 I was drawn to the piano riff and the clashing sound throughout the whole song along with the general melody, background and lyrics.

Hearing "Uptight" for the first time drew me into the Motown Sound and I started to notice many Motown songs had a continuous same back beat which I started to like.

I had discovered Motown in 1967, in 1965-66 I was into James Brown / Wilson Pickett.
    "Ain't That Peculiar" was a finger snapper! It was just the coolest record with the Andantes providing their breezy backgrounds and Marvin just gliding throught that one. Love that record!!!

My first MG purchases, were "Can I Get A Witness", "How Sweet It Is" , "I'll Be Doggone" and one of my all time favorites of his, "Pride And Joy" You basically can say I bought everything he produced from the mid 60's to the mid 80's. IMO, he was the greatest male singer ever, and that's saying something, because there were some great ones. I bought them for his classic lyrics and musical arraignments.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; 12-04-2018 at 09:01 AM.

Can't recall if my first MG records were the six-track UK EP Originals from Marvin Gaye, released in 1966, which I know I didn't buy on its release, or Moods of Marvin Gaye, also released in 1966, which I bought second-hand while on a youth hostelling trek in Northern Ireland in 1967. I had to carry it in my backpack for the rest of the holiday, and it remains my favourite MG LP.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    my first Marvin Gaye record was "Stubborn Kind of Fellow" . My 45 said Vocal Accomp.:Vandellas. This was a big hit on Miami Pop radio.I use to stare at the LP in the record shop esp with Vandellas pic on the back.
    This was also my first Marvin Gaye single. I was a regular customer of the Turntable Record Store on North Sixth Street in Harrisburg, PA and the owner who ran the store from her rear apartment put it on the turntable to play for me and I went nuts. Within the first 30 seconds of the song, I hit the jackpot. The Vandellas accompaniment was very noticeable on this song. Since that I have purchased all earlier and later singles by him.

Years later in New York City, I was able to purchase for chump change [[several dollars) a mint condition The Soulful Moods of Marvin Gaye album which I have framed in my house. Marvin in my opinion does not get the attention that he rightfully deserves. I do not know why.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    My first MG purchases, were "Can I Get A Witness", "How Sweet It Is" , "I'll Be Doggone" and one of my all time favorites of his, "Pride And Joy" You basically can say I bought everything he produced from the mid 60's to the mid 80's. IMO, he was the greatest male singer ever, and that's saying something, because there were some great ones. I bought them for his classic lyrics and musical arraignments.
    Cincinnnati Kid, I dont think there was ever a bad single released on Marvin Gaye. I can't think of one.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    This was also my first Marvin Gaye single. I was a regular customer of the Turntable Record Store on North Sixth Street in Harrisburg, PA and the owner who ran the store from her rear apartment put it on the turntable to play for me and I went nuts. Within the first 30 seconds of the song, I hit the jackpot. The Vandellas accompaniment was very noticeable on this song. Since that I have purchased all earlier and later singles by him.

Years later in New York City, I was able to purchase for chump change [[several dollars) a mint condition The Soulful Moods of Marvin Gaye album which I have framed in my house. Marvin in my opinion does not get the attention that he rightfully deserves. I do not know why.
    That is a great story Woodward, thank you. I use to work out in Harrisburg back in the mid 80s. Nice town, nice people there.

Umm,good question,i go back a long way with marvin so it might be[i'll be doggone]in 65.

I do believe it was "You're A Wonderful One".

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I do believe it was "You're A Wonderful One".
    That was my Dad and my uncle's favorite record at one time.