[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 27 of 27
  1. #1

    Covers that should of been made, the Holiday edition!

    There’ve been several threads about songs we would’ve loved to hear our favorite Motown stars cover. And with the Christmas season upon us why not do another. What are some Yuletide carols Motown or other wise you wish had been cut by a certain artist.

    The Temptations- Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas (Paul leading)
    Diana Ross & The Supremes- Caroling, Caroling
    Four Tops- The Day That Love Began, O Tannibum, You’re all I want for Christmas
    Martha & the Vandellas-Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)
    David Ruffin- Merry Christmas Baby
    Tammi Terrell- Sleigh Ride
    Marvin Gaye- Please Come Home For Christmas, O Come all Ye Faithful
    Brenda Holloway- Wish You A Merry Christmas (Kim Weston cover)
    Shorty Long- Blue Christmas, Christmas in Heaven.
    Jean Terrell & the Supremes- I can Tell When Christmas Is Near, Little Christmas Tree, Peace on Earth ( Good Will Toward Man)

  2. #2
    I remember hearing Martha always wanted to record a Christmas album with Motown and was disappointed she was never given the chance. I created a mock cover of what an album could have been. I wish I would have thought of "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)" when I designed this years ago. I can totally hear Martha belting this. I'd imagine her album being very soulful. Nothing like the Supremes Christmas album.

    Name:  vandellas copy 2.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  91.2 KB

  3. #3
    Covers That Should Of Been Made - really??

    Is there any way we can use proper English on here - why do folks have to use "of" instead of "have"? They're two different words with very different meanings. Awful the way things are going.

    Or perhaps we should have
    "It Should Of Been Me"
    "We'll Of It Made"
    "Of You Seen Her"
    "Of Yourself a Merry Little Christmas"
    "The Day You Take One (You Of To Take The Other)"
    "Got To Of You Back"
    "Heaven Must Of Sent You"
    "I'll Of To Let Him Go"
    "Two Can Of a Party"
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 11-30-2018 at 11:59 PM.

  4. #4
    Great album cover Brad! Martha would HAVE done a great Christmas Album during that timeframe. If only “Christmas At Hitsville” had been written.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Covers That Should Of Been Made - really??

    Is there any way we can use proper English on here - why do folks have to use "of" instead of "have"? They're two different words with very different meanings. Awful the way things are going.

    Or perhaps we should have
    "It Should Of Been Me"
    "We'll Of It Made"
    "Of You Seen Her"
    "Of Yourself a Merry Little Christmas"
    "The Day You Take One (You Of To Take The Other)"
    "Got To Of You Back"
    "Heaven Must Of Sent You"
    "I'll Of To Let Him Go"
    "Two Can Of a Party"
    That's a bit unfair. If you look at Jboy's first sentence, he uses "would've", not "would of", so he obviously knows the difference and it's probably just carelessness. For my part, I know the difference between there,their and they're, but sometimes if I'm in a hurry I might not spot until later that I've used the wrong one. It's better to get it right, but remember we're not back at school and the important thing is to get the meaning across.

    Incidentally my pet peeve is the use of "try and" when "try to" is meant.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    That's a bit unfair. If you look at Jboy's first sentence, he uses "would've", not "would of", so he obviously knows the difference and it's probably just carelessness...but remember we're not back at school and the important thing is to get the meaning across.
    I totally agree. Many times I've wanted to make a quick post but get overly concerned with grammar, spelling and accuracy rather than just trying to contribute to the conversation in a timely manner. I often decide to delete my draft. In a forum such as this we need to overlook some minor errors. We need to be more charitable in our assessment of another's intent and tone. We post when we're excited, tired, angry, or have been drinking.

    There was a recent post that mentioned my home town. Someone made a comment that was totally inaccurate and furthermore didn't add to the conversation. I could have corrected this person but my comment also would not have added to the conversation other than to correct this person on an irrelevant and incidental, although totally inaccurate, detail.

    Yes, Jboy shoulda proofread his post and I'm sure he woulda corrected any errors. Of course, mysterysinger coulda just rolled his eyes at the error and enjoyed the thread or contributed to the topic.

    Thanks Jboy for the interesting thread. One song I wish had been recorded for "The Supremes" Christmas album is Christmas Everyday.
    Last edited by johnjeb; 12-01-2018 at 12:56 PM.

  7. #7
    A couple of ideas from me:

    Santa Baby - Florence Ballard
    Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree - Tammi Terrell

  8. #8
    I would have loved to have heard Liz Lands let loose on "O Holy Night".

  9. #9
    I agree with 144man and johnjeb. Let’s cut one another some grammatical slack. Furthermore, English isn’t everyone’s first language, lest we Anglophones forget.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    I agree with 144man and johnjeb. Let’s cut one another some grammatical slack. Furthermore, English isn’t everyone’s first language, lest we Anglophones forget.
    No let's not! If the original poster really knows the difference how hard can it be to use the correct word? People of had to put up with it for long enough.

  11. #11
    I’ve lived in the US my whole life. English is my first and only language. I have had issues with proper editing and typos in writing in the past! I just wanted to expand upon the “What Could Have Been” scenario and put a holiday spin on it.

  12. #12
    Good thread anyway.

  13. #13
    I would have loved to hear young Michael Jackson sing "Silent Night" , "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" or The Jackson 5 cover "Christmas Everyday" or "What Christmas means to me".

  14. #14
    « We post when we're excited, tired, angry, or have been drinking »

    Nothing but the truth. This has to be the best phrase to describe the state I’m in when posting on SDF, ever!

    Oh What à Laugh (December 2018)

    ;-)

    JB

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    There’ve been several threads about songs we would’ve loved to hear our favorite Motown stars cover. And with the Christmas season upon us why not do another. What are some Yuletide carols Motown or other wise you wish had been cut by a certain artist.

    The Temptations- Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas (Paul leading)
    Diana Ross & The Supremes- Caroling, Caroling
    Four Tops- The Day That Love Began, O Tannibum, You’re all I want for Christmas
    Martha & the Vandellas-Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)
    David Ruffin- Merry Christmas Baby
    Tammi Terrell- Sleigh Ride
    Marvin Gaye- Please Come Home For Christmas, O Come all Ye Faithful
    Brenda Holloway- Wish You A Merry Christmas (Kim Weston cover)
    Shorty Long- Blue Christmas, Christmas in Heaven.
    Jean Terrell & the Supremes- I can Tell When Christmas Is Near, Little Christmas Tree, Peace on Earth ( Good Will Toward Man)
    Jboy, your Marvin Gaye selections are great. I'd take any Christmas song on a whole holiday album by Marvin Gaye. What a wasted opportunity not having him record a Christmas album.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post

    Name:  vandellas copy 2.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  91.2 KB
    That's a great cover Brad. I think a Martha Christmas album would've been fantastic.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    A couple of ideas from me:

    Santa Baby - Florence Ballard
    Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree - Tammi Terrell
    Excellent choices! The Supremes also doing both of those tunes with Diana on lead would've been great as well.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    I’ve lived in the US my whole life. English is my first and only language. I have had issues with proper editing and typos in writing in the past! I just wanted to expand upon the “What Could Have Been” scenario and put a holiday spin on it.
    Everyone runs into typo issues online. Your thread is great and shouldn't of been derailed by someone's grammar issues. Tell folks to kiss your ass and have a merry Christmas.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Jboy, your Marvin Gaye selections are great. I'd take any Christmas song on a whole holiday album by Marvin Gaye. What a wasted opportunity not having him record a Christmas album.
    I believe Marvin did have a Christmas album in the works. However, he was also working on “Trouble Man” and “Let’s Get It On” around that time. I’m not sure if he ever finished it or not.

    Otherwise, I’d envisioned Marvin doing these songs during his “clean shaven” days. Another missed opportunity would be him cutting “Baby It’s Cold Outside” with either Kim or Tammi.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I remember hearing Martha always wanted to record a Christmas album with Motown and was disappointed she was never given the chance. I created a mock cover of what an album could have been. I wish I would have thought of "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)" when I designed this years ago. I can totally hear Martha belting this. I'd imagine her album being very soulful. Nothing like the Supremes Christmas album.

    Name:  vandellas copy 2.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  91.2 KB
    Fantastic LP cover, Brad! If I had seen this in the stores for real, I would have bought it on-the-spot. It would have been the best Christmas gift EVER from Motown that year! Now you've got us all wondering what the LP's back cover might have looked like. (Hint! Hint!)

  21. #21
    I created a mock cover for a second Supremes Christmas album. I actually think Diana would have sounded better on them had Motown waited two years. Can you imagine her doing Christmas songs when her voice was like what it was during the Funny Girl album?

    I haven't done much mock cover work for a while. Maybe I'll make some Christmas ones...

    Name:  A Very Special Christmas copy.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  92.1 KB

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I created a mock cover for a second Supremes Christmas album. I actually think Diana would have sounded better on them had Motown waited two years. Can you imagine her doing Christmas songs when her voice was like what it was during the Funny Girl album?

    I haven't done much mock cover work for a while. Maybe I'll make some Christmas ones...

    Name:  A Very Special Christmas copy.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  92.1 KB
    Yeah, Diana's vocal prowess came into it's own during those "Funny Girl" sessions, for sure. Applying those new chops to another new Christmas album would have been a welcome treat under my tree ANY year. BTW, love the cover. Interesting song choices, too.

  23. #23
    Brad, if you do create some more new mock LP covers, I've always wondered what a 1967- or 1968-era Christmas album by The Marvelettes might have looked like (Wanda/Gladys/Kat or Wanda/Kat/Ann).

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    I believe Marvin did have a Christmas album in the works. However, he was also working on “Trouble Man” and “Let’s Get It On” around that time. I’m not sure if he ever finished it or not.

    Otherwise, I’d envisioned Marvin doing these songs during his “clean shaven” days. Another missed opportunity would be him cutting “Baby It’s Cold Outside” with either Kim or Tammi.
    Marvin in the 60s should've recorded a Christmas album around 1966, and I love the idea of him and Kim doing "Baby It's Cold Outside". Gordy missed the mark not having Marvin and the 4 Tops record a Christmas album around this time. Yeah, he was supposed to do a Christmas album in 72. It was given a catalog number but I'm not sure if any tracks were completed other than "I Want to Come Home" and "Christmas In the City". And with "Christmas In the City" I wonder if it was always meant as an instrumental or if Marvin intended to put vocals on it. Fingers crossed though that there are other Marvin Christmas cuts waiting to be unearthed.

  25. #25
    Here you go...a 60s Marvin Gaye Christmas album

    Name:  Christmas with Marvin Gaye.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  89.5 KB

  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Here you go...a 60s Marvin Gaye Christmas album

    Name:  Christmas with Marvin Gaye.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  89.5 KB
    Beautiful, Brad. And no kiddin' -- You should have been working in Motown's graphic arts department!

  27. #27
    Brad, beautiful covers.

    My favorite is the Vandellas' Christmas. I wish you had been at Motown to rescue their Sugar n' Spice cover!

    If you do more Christmas covers maybe you can do another for Marvin with the title "Purple Snowflakes". That song should have been a single and an album to go with it.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.