[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question About The Same Song On Different Albums

I've been watching a lot of Rick James-related content lately, kind of by coincidence. After watching Teena Marie's "Unsung" last night, James' songs started running through my head and now, "Standing On the Top" is playing in a loop in my head for some reason.

Here's my question: That song was the lead single on James' "Throwin' Down" album and the Temptations' "Reunion" LP. On James' record it was listed as Rick James feat. the Temptations and on the Temptations' album it was Temptations feat. Rick James. I'm sure there are plenty of examples of songs that appeared on two different artists' records but have there been others where the lead artist and the featured artists switch on each other's jacket/label?

I'm pretty sure I remember it being announced on the radio as a Rick James song in my area but I also wonder if it was announced in other areas as a Temptations song [[since it didn't sound like one).

Whitney & Mariah had "When You Believe" on their respective albums. On Mariah's #1's, it was "Mariah & Whitney", on WH's My Love Is Your Love, it was "Whitney & Mariah".

"Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves" was on both Aretha's Who's Zoomin' Who LP and Eurythmics' Be Yourself Tonight LP. Eurythmics are listed as the lead artist on their album, and Aretha on hers.

How about the Whitney/Aretha It Isn’t, wasn’t ...?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    How about the Whitney/Aretha It Isn’t, wasn’t ...?
    That never appeared on a Nippy studio album, only Aretha’s.

Ooooh. Thanks sans.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    That never appeared on a Nippy studio album, only Aretha’s.
    Is that Whitney's nickname!? I had no idea sans!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    I've been watching a lot of Rick James-related content lately, kind of by coincidence. After watching Teena Marie's "Unsung" last night, James' songs started running through my head and now, "Standing On the Top" is playing in a loop in my head for some reason.

Here's my question: That song was the lead single on James' "Throwin' Down" album and the Temptations' "Reunion" LP. On James' record it was listed as Rick James feat. the Temptations and on the Temptations' album it was Temptations feat. Rick James. I'm sure there are plenty of examples of songs that appeared on two different artists' records but have there been others where the lead artist and the featured artists switch on each other's jacket/label?

I'm pretty sure I remember it being announced on the radio as a Rick James song in my area but I also wonder if it was announced in other areas as a Temptations song [[since it didn't sound like one).
    I was living out west in Colorado when it came out and it was always announced as the Temptations featuring Rick James.

"If Ever a Love There Was" was on the Four Tops 1988 lp "Indestructible" listed as a duet with Aretha, and on Aretha's 1989 lp "Through the Storm" listed as with the Four Tops and Kenny G.

Off the top of my head, the 20th Century Records hit "Love's Theme" appeared on both Love Unlimited's "Under The Influence Of..." LP as well as The Love Unlimited Orchestra's "Rhapsody In White" [[Barry White) LP, respectively, but I don't recall the artists' billing being any different between the two albums.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    "If Ever a Love There Was" was on the Four Tops 1988 lp "Indestructible" listed as a duet with Aretha, and on Aretha's 1989 lp "Through the Storm" listed as with the Four Tops and Kenny G.
    You beat me to the punch.☺️☺️☺️