[REMOVE ADS]

Ain't No Woman Like The One I've Got!

I saw The Tops & Tempts together in concert today and was totally and very pleasantly surprised that The Tops did this one, and they did it very well indeed. It has reinvigorated my love and appreciation for the song and I thought I'd share it here!!!!!

I JUST LOVE THE GROOVE AND THE TOPS' VOCAL INTERPLAY!!!!!

One of the best songs ever.......!

Damn right marv, catchy as hell, and I just love the instrumental breaks!

Tom it's not one of my favorites, but artistically speaking, it is a great song. My favorite parts are the instrumental breaks also. I also love how the song's history showcases the quality of talent that Motown had in it's hands at one time. The Tops weren't just a product of Motown's assemblage, they were talented enough to be able to have hits wherever they went.

Great Song Tom! The Four Tops' "Ain't No Woman [[Like The One I've Got)" is not only an enduring classic of '70s Soul, but the song [[along with "Keeper Of The Castle" & "Are You Man Enough") helped to re-establish The Tops as hitmakers after leaving Motown.

One of the best from my dad's favorite all-male group!

I'm told that, as a toddler, I enthusiastically sang and danced [[in our living room) along with The Tops as they performed this on "Soul Train." My grandmother, who was visiting, quipped, "Anybody who's singing about his woman should be able to go to the potty by himself."

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Tom it's not one of my favorites, but artistically speaking, it is a great song. My favorite parts are the instrumental breaks also. I also love how the song's history showcases the quality of talent that Motown had in it's hands at one time. The Tops weren't just a product of Motown's assemblage, they were talented enough to be able to have hits wherever they went.
    Yeah I get you Ran. It won't completely and utterly knock me out of the park, and it doesn't seem like a massive knockout hit to me either. I am surprised it was such a big pop hit in the US actually. [[Although it is catchy ) But, yeah, you just KNOW it's a great song.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Great Song Tom! The Four Tops' "Ain't No Woman [[Like The One I've Got)" is not only an enduring classic of '70s Soul, but the song [[along with "Keeper Of The Castle" & "Are You Man Enough") helped to re-establish The Tops as hitmakers after leaving Motown.
    Oh yeah Eddie, I love those ones two.

In the concert, The Tops & Tempts both had fantastic backing bands with proper horn sections and everything and The Tops' introduction was "Are You Man Enough". It was great.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    One of the best from my dad's favorite all-male group!

I'm told that, as a toddler, I enthusiastically sang and danced [[in our living room) along with The Tops as they performed this on "Soul Train." My grandmother, who was visiting, quipped, "Anybody who's singing about his woman should be able to go to the potty by himself."
    My personal history/ memories of this song is from being in the 7th Grade. I can remember it playing on our big 70s stereo console. It was on the radio one very sunny Spring morning as I was getting ready to walk to school and I was singing along to it just as I had tried to sing along with "Baby I Need Your Loving " some 9 years earlier. LOL! Great memories this song brings back to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    For me, I would add "Midnight Flower". The sweetest song about a prostitute I've heard. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    For me, I would add "Midnight Flower". The sweetest song about a prostitute I've heard. LOL!
    Of course! "Midnight Flower" was another Four Tops classic from the '70s. And while the group's move from Motown to ABC Records was successful, I often wonder what could've happened if Motown had gotten the writer/producers of the Tops' ABC hits to work for them.

Just listened to "Midnight Flower" for what I think was the first time and I loved it!! I also love "One Chain Don't Make No Prison" from the same album, an almost funk-rock ish groove and great lyrics...