[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Sells Out Entire Run At Café Carlyle

There’s not a seat to be had at any of her shows. Hopefully some members were there tonight to report. Certainly Marv will go. Any others?

I wish, but London is a tad to far away at this busy time of year. Look forward to reading any reviews from those that did make it though. I'm sure they are in for a real treat.

I had hoped to go last night but was exhausted after medical issues at hospital in Manhattan and my friends couldn’t make it. Anyone want to split cost of a table if we can get tickets? Congrats to Mary!

If you are serious about going, I can ask Mary if she can get you in.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    If you are serious about going, I can ask Mary if she can get you in.
    I wouldnt bother Mary when shes busy prepping for a show. He should take himself down there and get in line for a bar stool which according to this here link they sell the day of the show.

http://www.rosewoodhotels.com/en/~/m...ons%202015.pdf

You are always so helpful - thank you for your contributions to our group and Happy Thanksgiving- I hope you are warmer than we are - it’s 35 and dropping to 27 tonight!

A friend and I caught Mary's show this evening and had the best time. She is really a great entertainer, with a great rapport with her audience. She showed complete control even when one obviously inebriated overzealous fan came on stage. Favorite performances of mine were BOTH SIDES NOW, DON'T KNOW WHY, and MY WORLD IS EMPTY WITHOUT YOU.

The venue only seats 90, so I should hope she'd sell out.

The Carlyle sounds delightful; martinis and dinner jackets required.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    The venue only seats 90, so I should hope she'd sell out.

The Carlyle sounds delightful; martinis and dinner jackets required.
    Really? I didn't realise it was such a small intimate venue, but i guess if i was forced to sit through another Mary Wilson show this would be the ideal venue. Good luck to her.

I was hoping to find a review of this show in the NYC papers, but there were none.

Marv, did you get to see it? How was it?

I think it wonderful that Mary did so well at her run here. It seems this month all of the former Supremes are STILL celebrating successes Diana Ross at the Thanksgiving Parade and the FLOs in the UK along with Mary Wilson at the Cafe Carlyle. I am happy and proud of her successful run.

I was surprised to see this place seated 88 people but I gather it has a history and is a worthy place to play-yet I can’t see there would be many reviews for a show of such limited reach

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I was surprised to see this place seated 88 people but I gather it has a history and is a worthy place to play-yet I can’t see there would be many reviews for a show of such limited reach
    I was hoping to see at least one professional review of the show. At least one of our members posted a first hand review.

Mary's number one fan has yet to post his review. Marv, what did you think of the show?

Good for her. All the best wishes to her as she continues to delight and enchant her audiences.

It may just seat 88-90 people but the Cafe Carlyle is certainly not a venue you write off. Many prestigious artists have played and continue to play the venue. I'm glad that Mary has been given the opportunity to not only play the Carlyle but to sell it out. Very nice.

I am so very happy she had a successful run at the Cafe Carlyle, though I am not surprised at all! Go Mary!

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Yes, and with the restaurant being closed they went for a smaller scale performer to fill seats. The Cafe Carlyle is always heavily papered with corporate travel giveaways. I as well have seen no professional review of the show as of yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Really? I didn't realise it was such a small intimate venue, but i guess if i was forced to sit through another Mary Wilson show this would be the ideal venue. Good luck to her.
    Don't be too sure; one of the adverts promised 'a selection of easy-listening classics'.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I am so very happy she had a successful run at the Cafe Carlyle, though I am not surprised at all! Go Mary!
    Did you get to attend? Bet you had a ball seeing your favorite lady.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    did you get to attend? Bet you had a ball seeing your favorite lady.
    lolololololololol.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    lolololololololol.

Yah I went too- promo’d and all

If the hotel did not hold back their usual 25% of tickets for guest comps, with an 88 seat capacity over 5 nights she would have sold 440 tickets. Certainly a mere fraction of what a superstar like, say, Diana Ross attracts on a regular basis but surely better than the free riverside shows and near-empty oldies revival shows Wilson is usually booked for. So good for her; Mary can finally claim a sort of success after all these decades. I wonder if there is a set list?

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    If the hotel did not hold back their usual 25% of tickets for guest comps, with an 88 seat capacity over 5 nights she would have sold 440 tickets. Certainly a mere fraction of what a superstar like, say, Diana Ross attracts on a regular basis but surely better than the free riverside shows and near-empty oldies revival shows Wilson is usually booked for. So good for her; Mary can finally claim a sort of success after all these decades. I wonder if there is a set list?
    I am sure someone could provide one if you asked them nicely! - i fear there would be the usual ghastly versions of Supremes classics that has us running for cover. Her voice is far more suited to torch songs which i suspect would work quite well in this small and intimate environment.

I didn't write anything down but off the top of my head, I remember:

Here's To Life
    Don't Know Why
    Body and Soul
    Stormy Weather
    Smile
    Mas Que Nada
    The Boy from Ipanema
    I Am Changing
    Baby Love
    Stop! In The Name of Love
    My World is Empty Without You
    What a Wonderful World
    Imagine
    Last Dance
    The Look of Love

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I didn't write anything down but off the top of my head, I remember:

Here's To Life
    Don't Know Why
    Body and Soul
    Stormy Weather
    Smile
    Mas Que Nada
    The Boy from Ipanema
    I Am Changing
    Baby Love
    Stop! In The Name of Love
    My World is Empty Without You
    What a Wonderful World
    Imagine
    Last Dance
    The Look of Love
    Thanks! What sort of combo did she have?

Mary is more fitting for jazz and torch songs so a venue like the Cafe Carlyle is perfect for her. She should do more of those clubs and stop the free concert thing imho...

Thanks! What sort of combo did she have?
    A quartet: piano, bass, guitar, and drums.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Disapointed that you did not post a review of the show. Now I am thinking that her number one fan did not even attend. But, I just read a professional review. I'll find a link and post it here.

In lieu of Marv's review, there is finally at least one professional review that I found and it is posted below with a link

by Michael Musto 11/26/2018
    ....I just went to the Café Carlyle to see Wilson in a solo act, and it was an extraordinary experience that transported me to girl-group heaven. Wilson—who was always the sexy Supreme with the smoky voice—is a fine vocalist, who confidently soared through showstoppers like “Body and Soul” and “Stormy Weather.” She injected soul into Nora Jones’ “Don’t Know Why,” even while laughingly admitting that she had no idea what the song means. [[Neither do I, but Wilson brought significance to it.) With all the wisdom of her 74 years, she did a poignant “Both Sides Now” and a piercing “Look of Love.” And of course she addressed her time with The Supremes. Wilson said they were “three little black girls who made our dreams come true… We never won a Grammy—all those number one songs—but we got the money, so who cares?”

“I sang the ’oohs’ and ’ahs’ and the ‘baby, baby, babys’,” she added. “Don’t be laughing. I was laughing all the way to the bank!” She then sang the lead on Supremes hits like “Baby Love,” “Stop in the Name of Love,” and “My World is Empty Without You,” and the audience impulsively chirped the backups, to which Wilson beamed, “You’re singing my part!”

And she addressed Dreamgirls, joking, “They say it’s about The Supremes, but I know it isn’t because I didn’t get paid.” But she loves the show and movie version, and said that if Florence Ballard—the sort of Effie character, who died at 32—was here today, she would deliver the ballad of renewal “I Am Changing.” Wilson then belted that very song in honor of Flo, with a whole bunch of heart and tears. What a dazzling night.

And after the show, Wilson told me she’s working on a coffee table book about the fashion of The Supremes. Ooh, baby, baby!

http://www.newnownext.com/green-book...remes/11/2018/
    Last edited by milven; 11-27-2018 at 10:03 PM.

By now it is evident that Marv is not going to post a review of his favorite lady, so in lieu of Marv's review, there is finally at least one professional review that I found and it is posted below with a link

....I just went to the Café Carlyle to see Wilson in a solo act, and it was an extraordinary experience that transported me to girl-group heaven. Wilson—who was always the sexy Supreme with the smoky voice—is a fine vocalist, who confidently soared through showstoppers like “Body and Soul” and “Stormy Weather.” She injected soul into Nora Jones’ “Don’t Know Why,” even while laughingly admitting that she had no idea what the song means. [[Neither do I, but Wilson brought significance to it.) With all the wisdom of her 74 years, she did a poignant “Both Sides Now” and a piercing “Look of Love.” And of course she addressed her time with The Supremes. Wilson said they were “three little black girls who made our dreams come true… We never won a Grammy—all those number one songs—but we got the money, so who cares?”

“I sang the ’oohs’ and ’ahs’ and the ‘baby, baby, babys’,” she added. “Don’t be laughing. I was laughing all the way to the bank!” She then sang the lead on Supremes hits like “Baby Love,” “Stop in the Name of Love,” and “My World is Empty Without You,” and the audience impulsively chirped the backups, to which Wilson beamed, “You’re singing my part!”

And she addressed Dreamgirls, joking, “They say it’s about The Supremes, but I know it isn’t because I didn’t get paid.” But she loves the show and movie version, and said that if Florence Ballard—the sort of Effie character, who died at 32—was here today, she would deliver the ballad of renewal “I Am Changing.” Wilson then belted that very song in honor of Flo, with a whole bunch of heart and tears. What a dazzling night.

And after the show, Wilson told me she’s working on a coffee table book about the fashion of The Supremes. Ooh, baby, baby!

Good review,. Same lines and same songs Marys been doing for decades but if it aint broke why fix it. Good for Miss Wilson and may she return often to the Cafe Carlyle/.

In lieu of Marv's review, there is finally at least one professional review that I found and it is posted below with a link

Thank you for the review Milven. Some of us objectively do care about Mary Wilson.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Good review,. Same lines and same songs Marys been doing for decades but if it aint broke why fix it. Good for Miss Wilson and may she return often to the Cafe Carlyle/.
    Of course the irony is that Wilson is celebrated for doing the same show and same patter for decades while ... another Supreme ... is excoriated in this forum over and over for ... doing the same show! But you know that, Ms. Roberta!