[REMOVE ADS]

Willie Jones -- The Secret Heart of Detroit Soul

An excellent pictorial tribute to Willie Jones has been just been released by Detroit author, photographer and videographer David Clement on his Dissolving Detroit Blog. You can visit it here>>.

"In 1954, at 18, Willie Jones and The Royal Jokers signed with Atlantic Records. He later had to turn down a Motown contract offered by Berry Gordy. In 1955 the group recorded You Tickle Me Baby. Willie left the group for a while, and his first solo recording was Fast Choo Choo. The mid 1950s thru the mid 1960s were the best years of his performing career. He continued to record modest tunes, and wrote the B side of Bettye LaVette’s first recording."

That picture is great. I will check it out. Thank you Lowell!

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  21.1 KB
    Great to see that Willie's alive and still singing. His music both as lead of The Royal Jokers and as a solo act has brought me lots of joy through the years. I never knew that he turned down Berry Gordy's offer to have him sign with Motown. Does anyone know exactly when THAT happened?
    Last edited by robb_k; 11-26-2018 at 05:04 AM.

I believe the very first R&B or likely any musical performance was at the Michigan State Fair I think 1958. My dad took us all into a tent where a group called the Royal Jokers were performing. I was about 8 years old. I remember they were singing Coasters songs and they did Yakety Yak which I believe had just come out...I remember it well and it was hot as hell in that huge tent...