[REMOVE ADS]

Motown Rarities 1965-1968 The Contours & Dennis Edwards

I don't remember ever seeing this mentioned before.. If it has been, please excuse

https://www.amazon.com/Motown-Rariti...in%3A625150011

I just love the cover. Dennis looks so happy to be a Contour.
    Last edited by luckyluckyme; 11-22-2018 at 01:25 PM.

Visuals help.

Name:  DennisE_MotownR_CoverAr_5000DPI300RGB1000268194.jpg
Views: 1657
Size:  85.4 KB

Never knew this surfaced either. It's just Universal's digital issue of Kent/Ace's "Just A Little Misunderstanding: Rare & Unissued Motown 1965-1968". The tracklist isn't revised and the sonics are the same so it seems like a generous alternative to the CD release. UMe has the legal right to issue anything they license to Ace/Kent so I guess they chose to implement it here. Hopefully the disc hasn't gone out of print, but not everybody purchases music the same. Great artwork too.

But surely we've all supported the ACE CD release haven't we??

What a great cover! I thought this was something maybe that I had missed, but like everyone has said, it's the same tracklist as the Ace/Kent CD. Makes you wonder just what other photos are in the Motown vaults and why don't we see more color pics like this on CD covers...

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    What a great cover! I thought this was something maybe that I had missed, but like everyone has said, it's the same tracklist as the Ace/Kent CD. Makes you wonder just what other photos are in the Motown vaults and why don't we see more color pics like this on CD covers...
    The Ace release cover is better, in my opinion, but that's a great photo of the group I hadn't seen before

These ACE CDs are also on download through Universal.....although to my mind, for a few pounds more you get the CDs and great Ace booklet:

Name:  Syreeta.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  9.0 KB

Name:  satintones.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  11.3 KB

Name:  Spinners.jpg
Views: 939
Size:  41.3 KB

And there's this Real Gone CD.....which with Real Gone import prices isn't so bad a price for a download:

Name:  Bobby Darin.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  8.3 KB

I really like this cover with The Contours. And it's good to see Ace's releases being digitised, the more available this wonderful music is the better.

I wonder why they chose to use the alternate version of "First I Look at the Purse."

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    I wonder why they chose to use the alternate version of "First I Look at the Purse."
    Probably to stay true to the authenticity of the project. The commercial version can easily be found as it's included on quite a few titles that have been released throughout the years. Even Keith said not in so many words that it wasn't the greatest alternate. He just added it to give fans a glimpse into what Smokey's second crack at the tune was/is.

Weird thing is that both versions have the same recording dates despite being committed to tape six months apart. The popular one would have to be conceived in September of '64 and the remake in March of '65, but both are said to be completed in the latter. The alternate also has what sounds like a scratch vocal as opposed to a more refined interpretation of the lyrics.

The color photo is obviously better. Why does a bad photo have to be used. Use the rare color photo for the cover to draw us in. Black and White belong inside the booklet. Now I look at my ACE cd version with regret.

Quote Originally Posted by Fourtopsbiggestfan View Post
    The color photo is obviously better. Why does a bad photo have to be used. Use the rare color photo for the cover to draw us in. Black and White belong inside the booklet. Now I look at my ACE cd version with regret.
    That was what I was thinking too. Color is eye-catching. Also, we rarely get to see these fantastic color photos, so why not use it as a brilliant cover?

The colour photo is great, never seen it before, but it's style suggests Bootleg at first.
    At least that was my impression.

I always think of Motown as such a 'colourful' brand. And there are so many rare colour photos that could be used for cover designs. I would much prefer colour to monochrome images on my Motown CD covers.

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    The colour photo is great, never seen it before, but it's style suggests Bootleg at first.
    At least that was my impression.
    I agree snake, it does look like a bit like something a fan could have knocked up.