[REMOVE ADS]

Update on Motown Museum Expansion during 2019

An update just published gives some insight into the Motown Museum expansion that hopefully will be completed during Motown's 60th Anniversary in 2019.

https://www.freep.com/story/entertai...on/2005869002/

Great news from Detroit.

This is great news. I am especially happy to hear that DTE is contributing to this project. Detroit is coming back baby! LOL!

I hope that Robin ensures that the UK fan base gets recognition for it's support of Motown, particularly in the lean times when there were hardly any releases from the label. All the wonderful CD collections from the likes of Spectrum, Kent etc were driven by UK interest.

I get the fundraising bit but one wonders what Mr. Gordy intends to do with his money .

The article states that Motown is now owned by Capitol; I assume they meant Universal? Or has something changed?

Hi mary, I had a quick read on Wikipedia, it looks like Motown is owned by Capitol, and Capitol is owned by Universal. So both.

I think you'll find Universal [[U.M.G.) it itself owned by the huge French media giant "Vivendi"; who are headquartered in Paris, France, so they are presently the parent company. U.M.G etc., including Capitol, are therefore subsidiaries and not the owners.
    Last edited by motownjohnny; 11-21-2018 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    I hope that Robin ensures that the UK fan base gets recognition for it's support of Motown, particularly in the lean times when there were hardly any releases from the label. All the wonderful CD collections from the likes of Spectrum, Kent etc were driven by UK interest.
    Oh they are very aware. They have mentioned visitors from the U.K. is in several newspaper articles and I would bet good money that Motown's popularity there will be presented somewhere in the museum.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    The article states that Motown is now owned by Capitol; I assume they meant Universal? Or has something changed?
    The Hitsville Museum is NOT owned by Capital or Universal.

Quote Originally Posted by motownjohnny View Post
    I think you'll find Universal [[U.M.G.) it itself owned by the huge French media giant "Vivendi"; who are headquartered in Paris, France, so they are presently the parent company. U.M.G etc., including Capitol, are therefore subsidiaries and not the owners.
    You are right johnny, I was just making it nice and simple for my head to understand. Motown is a subsidiary of Capitol which is a subsidiary of Universal which is owned by Vivendi ? It's like Russian dolls