[REMOVE ADS]




Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 51 to 65 of 65
  1. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I think Brad summed up the Tony/Diana duet perfectly, except it's more like Grandpa and his 4th wife that's the same age as his daughter.
    LOL!!!! Exactly!

  2. #52
    After first reading some of the comments i watched Diana's performance with a little trepidation. I'm pleased to say i was pleasantly suprised. I thought she sounded clear and strong on the christmas medly and seemed to be having a good time.
    I agree with ranran in that if she is going to continue to sing Home, the latter segment of the song needs to be modified somehow to suit her voice of now as she does struggle to hit those big notes. Having said that her performance of Home here is much tighter then the strained Hollywood Bowl version where i thought Diana herself looked unhappy with her performance.
    I n my heart i long to hear the pre 2005 Diana, but for a lady of 74 she ain't doing half bad.

  3. #53
    I thought Diana was dazzling from start to finish. She looked gorgeous and sounded fantastic throughout the entire performance. I loved the medley. When she started it with "Someday At Christmas", one of my two favorite Motown Christmas songs, she melted me from the start. [BTW, I sure wish I knew Diana's (and, while we're at it, Smokey's) secret for still looking so young. Must be something in their drinking water!]
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 11-30-2018 at 07:15 AM.

  4. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    I thought Diana was dazzling from start to finish. She looked gorgeous and sounded fantastic throughout the entire performance. I loved the medley. When she started it with "Someday At Christmas", one of my two favorite Motown Christmas songs, she melted me from the start. [BTW, I sure wish I knew Diana's (and, while we're at it, Smokey's) secret for still looking so young. Must be something in their drinking water!]
    Agree, agree, agree, and ... agree! Sometimes, living a good and decent life does have its rewards!

  5. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Agree, agree, agree, and ... agree! Sometimes, living a good and decent life does have its rewards!
    Ain't it the truth, Peace!

  6. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I thought "Home" was fantastic.

    That said, I thought the medley sucked. She flubbed quite a few lines (how do you not know a holiday standard?) and at one point, appeared to not be singing at all. Regardless, it's Diana Ross and it was fabulous.
    She did do some flubbing, but she sounded great and for me that's all that mattered. The Queen of Motown is allowed to flub or just stand there while the music plays and not sing a note. It was so great to finally have live versions of some of her great Christmas renditions, even if in medley form. On the other hand I don't understand why anyone thought "Home" was a knockout. I guess it's all in what we hear. She didn't sound good to me at all when the song really gets going. But apparently the takeaway is that she gave something for everyone to enjoy. Those who loved the medley didn't care for "Home", and those who loved "Home" didn't care for the medley. That's a million times better than everyone saying the whole performance sucked. Lol But she was in fine Diana form and she's getting rave reviews in the media and social media. I love that she's always enlarging her crown as opposed to shrinking it. The Queen still reigns Supreme.

  7. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I hope Aretha doesn't have a laptop in heaven.
    Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Ainít No Way.
    Oh me, oh my! Too soon guys. I laughed, but still way too soon.

  8. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    After first reading some of the comments i watched Diana's performance with a little trepidation. I'm pleased to say i was pleasantly suprised. I thought she sounded clear and strong on the christmas medly and seemed to be having a good time.
    I agree with ranran in that if she is going to continue to sing Home, the latter segment of the song needs to be modified somehow to suit her voice of now as she does struggle to hit those big notes. Having said that her performance of Home here is much tighter then the strained Hollywood Bowl version where i thought Diana herself looked unhappy with her performance.
    I n my heart i long to hear the pre 2005 Diana, but for a lady of 74 she ain't doing half bad.
    Yeah, "Home" doesn't start off bad, it's just when the song cranks up that her voice starts going all over the place. Not a good look for Ross. Those notes are no longer in her range, which of course is a loss because when she could sing in that range she always tore it up, but her lower register has always been strong and an under utilized part of her artistry and it's still glorious at this point so with the songs that have her reaching, she should start tailoring them to the current capabilities of her voice. I love her lower range, always have. But you're right, she aint doing half bad at this point. There was a point after 2003 that I would've sworn her voice was completely shot, but over the last couple years she's come back. I'm glad about it.

  9. #59
    I thought her performance of Home was one of the best and strongest vocal performances she has given in the last decade. Same goes for the Christmas medley. She delivered/belted some very strong notes, especially at the conclusion of Home. I was actually shocked and moved. I like to think that I know good singing? So it surprises me to see so many criticisms. For her age and in the context of some of her past performances/concerts in the last few years, this appearance was superior IMHO. I believe her weight loss and recent focus on her health has allowed her to deliver stronger vocals in the past year. I suppose we all hear/appreciate different things. Just reiterating my earlier praise, since most of the comments here are leaning toward the critical side, which is fine...

    Tony Bennett is a treasure. Perhaps my Italian heritage is making me a little biased, as he reminds me of a sweet old Nonno, but I love seeing him on TV and I love witnessing his performances. We need to appreciate our legends while they are still here. I did not think his singing was awful. I think there are other aging singers out there who consistently cannot sing in tune or decent tone anymore who are far worse. For me, he was certainly not on a bad level at all. I enjoyed him and Diana Krall. He did seem a little lost at one point and was clearly reading the lyrics on the teleprompter, but for his age, he's doing great. We'd all be blessed to live such a long life as him, doing what we love. I respect that.
    Last edited by carlo; 11-30-2018 at 10:05 AM.

  10. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    ITony Bennett is a treasure. Perhaps my Italian heritage is making me a little biased, as he reminds me of a sweet old Nonno, but I love seeing him on TV and I love witnessing his performances. We need to appreciate our legends while they are still here. I did not think his singing was awful. I think there are other aging singers out there who consistently cannot sing in tune or decent tone anymore who are far worse. For me, he was certainly not on a bad level at all. I enjoyed him and Diana Krall. He did seem a little lost at one point and was clearly reading the lyrics on the teleprompter, but for his age, he's doing great. We'd all be blessed to live such a long life as him, doing what we love. I respect that.
    I think a lot of the reason why Tony Bennett is held in such high regard as to with the fact he is the last of the classic crooners. While I do enjoy his work, the music industry tends to overdo it with him. I guess I'm Tony Bennett tired. He's brought out for every major award show. Every special duet with some new major pop star or some music special. I almost want to scream "We get it. We are suppose to like Tony Bennett." We look at the Grammys and they should just rename the Best Traditional Pop Album category "the Tony Bennett category" since he's won so many times (several were undeserved - Take a look at the 1996 and 1998 years...Julie Andrews should have won). While I think it's great that he still wants to keep performing, he's losing his edge and instead of feeling great, I feel sad for him. The two duets he did with Diana Krall were not good. There comes at time when you say "I've done my best" and step back.

  11. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    BTW, I sure wish I knew Diana's (and, while we're at it, Smokey's) secret for still looking so young. Must be something in their drinking water!]
    Diana's secret for youth is her genetics. Smokey's secret is plastic surgery.

  12. #62
    That Smokey look is scary - you see it and want to say "don't smile, don't talk, you might tear"

    I agree that there comes a time to say "enough is enough"; it's so easy to criticize a 75 or especially a 90 year old; we should value them, but they need to know when it isn't working anymore; Tony Bennett has pretty much pushed it as far as it can go

  13. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Yeah, "Home" doesn't start off bad, it's just when the song cranks up that her voice starts going all over the place. Not a good look for Ross. Those notes are no longer in her range, which of course is a loss because when she could sing in that range she always tore it up, but her lower register has always been strong and an under utilized part of her artistry and it's still glorious at this point so with the songs that have her reaching, she should start tailoring them to the current capabilities of her voice. I love her lower range, always have. But you're right, she aint doing half bad at this point. There was a point after 2003 that I would've sworn her voice was completely shot, but over the last couple years she's come back. I'm glad about it.
    I totally agree. Diana's lower register is still rather good which is why she sounds better then ever when singing "Dont Explain" I think the big belting endings on songs such as "Home" and "Amazing Grace" need to be softened with perhaps a lot more help from the backing singers on the final dramatic notes. Having said that this version of "Home" IMO is head and shoulders above the Hollywood Bowl version which sadly i thought Diana really struggled with.
    Without wishing to sound parrot like, i think she is still good for 74 though.

  14. #64
    thanks for sharing this, loved it. glad to see her on tv. nice treat for us all. love the album, hope it does well for her

  15. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Diana's secret for youth is her genetics. Smokey's secret is plastic surgery.
    Yes of course for Smokey

    Thatís gotta be botoxed to the max; I wonder if it hurts when he does a big smile?

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.