[REMOVE ADS]

Maurice Jackson and The Independents

Maurice Jackson has had a very long career both as a solo artist and as a member of the Chicago groups The Independents and Silk. He has worked with the very best of the Chicago Sound, including Donny Hathaway, Tom Tom, Gene Barge, Marvin Yancy and Chuck Jackson. I've always loved his vocals, very much in an understated Tyrone Davis style.

Well, for you Chicago Sound fans, l stumbled over this fascinating interview with Maurice Jackson recorded back in 2009 by Bob Abrahamian of 'Sitting in the Park' soul radio, in which he talks about his long career. Scroll down to 8/16/2009

http://www.sittinginthepark.com/interviews.html

My interest in Maurice was awakened by the new release of 'Couldn't Hear Nobody Say", a new version of The Independents song featuring his daughter and Paul Jackson. I think this new recording is a perfect example of how even in 2018 artists can still create and produce really meaningful, sensitive soul music. Do take a listen. Only 22 views since posted last month, so give those numbers a boost. I think most people are unaware of the release of this track, hence my wanting to bring it to your attention.

Here's Maurice on his very successful classic, Lucky Fellow, [[both for him as a solo artist and as part of The Independents,) arranged by Donny Hathaway. Also recorded by Leroy Hutson.

A lovely soul record from 1968 showcasing Maurice's talent...

1980 on the Parrall label co written by Maurice........such a shame it didn't get promotion

Ignore crackles at very beginning of the disc
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 12-23-2018 at 11:03 AM.

Great mid tempo on Plum

And finally, as it is Christmas, here is Reverand Maurice Jackson delivering a beautiful rendition of O Holy Night [[not the traditional song) Maurice recorded a number of Christian songs and Kevin Goins wrote the liner notes for one of his CDs).

Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 12-23-2018 at 11:30 AM.

The full Silk album featuring Maurice for your listening pleasure..[[not to be confused with other SILK groups which followed on)

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  21.1 KB
    I like this one best: