[REMOVE ADS]

This Song Made Me Remember...........

As we all know, music has a unique way of making us remember moments in our lives good or bad. Just hearing the record takes you back to places and times in the past. What song[[s) sparked a specific memory for you?

This one always makes me remember sitting on our front porch that summer [[1964) as a little kid and the music from my Mom's radio coming out through the window and sound just made me try to sing along to it:

For me, one of those songs is "Love Child" It brings back vivid memories of our family hanging out in the basement, playing pool, or watching tv, or just all of us playing some silly board game. Motown was a huge part of my childhood. I'm pretty certain my folks had one of those Motown Bix 16 Hits albums or something because I recall "Love Child", "I Was Made To Love Her" and a few other tunes- yet I was only 2 or 3 at the most, and still, "Love Child" made such a huge impression in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    For me, one of those songs is "Love Child" It brings back vivid memories of our family hanging out in the basement, playing pool, or watching tv, or just all of us playing some silly board game. Motown was a huge part of my childhood. I'm pretty certain my folks had one of those Motown Bix 16 Hits albums or something because I recall "Love Child", "I Was Made To Love Her" and a few other tunes- yet I was only 2 or 3 at the most, and still, "Love Child" made such a huge impression in my mind.
    Interesting. I remember my whole family sitting around watching the Ed Sullivan Show the night the Supremes debut "Love Child". I remember thinking what is wrong with them, the way they were dressed etc. LOL! The other clear memory I have of that song is walking to a neighborhood skating party at a church. They played the song while we were skating. It was very cold that winter and I remember humming the song on my way home.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Interesting. I remember my whole family sitting around watching the Ed Sullivan Show the night the Supremes debut "Love Child". I remember thinking what is wrong with them, the way they were dressed etc. LOL! The other clear memory I have of that song is walking to a neighborhood skating party at a church. They played the song while we were skating. It was very cold that winter and I remember humming the song on my way home.
    I'm laughing at the memory of the Sups on Ed Sullivan doing that song. The sweat shirts and cut-offs is what you're referring to, right? I'll bet that blew a LOT of people's minds!

Like you said, music amazingly sparks memories, very specific memories of time and place. Maybe you can answer this one because it'd driving me nuts. Wasn't there a group on Motown in the late 70's who had a record with some kind of title like "Why Do Happy Memories Make Me So Sad"? Whenever my brothers and I talk about songs we can no longer listen to, because it reminds us of times we know we won't have again, I think about this title that I swear I saw a long time ago... For some reason, I'm thinking of The Originals.

I'm laughing at the memory of the Sups on Ed Sullivan doing that song. The sweat shirts and cut-offs is what you're referring to, right? I'll bet that blew a LOT of people's minds!

Like you said, music amazingly sparks memories, very specific memories of time and place. Maybe you can answer this one because it'd driving me nuts. Wasn't there a group on Motown in the late 70's who had a record with some kind of title like "Why Do Happy Memories Make Me So Sad"? Whenever my brothers and I talk about songs we can no longer listen to, because it reminds us of times we know we won't have again, I think about this title that I swear I saw a long time ago... For some reason, I'm thinking of The Originals.
    That's a tough one. I can't remember that song at all.

Maybe you can answer this one because it'd driving me nuts. Wasn't there a group on Motown in the late 70's who had a record with some kind of title like "Why Do Happy Memories Make Me So Sad"? Whenever my brothers and I talk about songs we can no longer listen to, because it reminds us of times we know we won't have again, I think about this title that I swear I saw a long time ago... For some reason, I'm thinking of The Originals.

If the title was "Why Do Happy Memories Hurt So Bad," then it was Smokey Robinson in 1987.

Hearing "Oh Be My Love" by The Miracles for the first time.

My aunt loaned me her copy of "35th Anniversary Collection" after the funeral of my uncle who was a HUGE Smokey Robinson fan. Me and my father didn't get home until late in the evening after leaving my grandmother's house. I couldn't listen to the songs in their entirety because I had to go to school in the morning, so I sampled all four discs. But I recall skipping to that track[[ the last on Disc 2) and being blown away just by the intro!!!. The orchestration along with Smokey's soulful and melancholy chord changes moved me beyond belief. After sampling the box I got in the bed ,but couldn't find sleep as the melody played in my head. I winded up listening to the song for nearly an hour and taught it to my friend at school the next say. He loved it when I played him the actual song, but didn't like Pete Moore's background vocal.....

September of 2001. Sixteen years old and on fire for the genius of William Robinson.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    If the title was "Why Do Happy Memories Hurt So Bad," then it was Smokey Robinson in 1987.
    OK, I think THAT'S the one! Thank you very much! And the title is so accurate. I always thought something was wrong with me, to have some of my best memories cause a weird sort of sadness, then I saw that song title and it was like, Ohhhhhhh, so I'm NOT the only one!

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post

My aunt loaned me her copy of "35th Anniversary Collection" after the funeral of my uncle who was a HUGE Smokey Robinson fan. Me and my father didn't get home until late in the evening after leaving my grandmother's house. I couldn't listen to the songs in their entirety because I had to go to school in the morning, so I sampled all four discs. But I recall skipping to that track[[ the last on Disc 2) and being blown away just by the intro!!!. The orchestration along with Smokey's soulful and melancholy chord changes moved me beyond belief. After sampling the box I got in the bed ,but couldn't find sleep as the melody played in my head. I winded up listening to the song for nearly an hour and taught it to my friend at school the next say. He loved it when I played him the actual song, but didn't like Pete Moore's background vocal.....

September of 2001. Sixteen years old and on fire for the genius of William Robinson.
    Oh. My. I can see why this one blew you away from the start. That piano glissando alone is worth the price of admission, but then James Jamerson is playing something completely insane on the bass. He'll play this hyperactive bass line on the first half of each bar and then sort of hold back and coast a bit, then pick right back with doing things on the bass only he could have come up with. The whole song is like drowning beautifully and slowly into a vat of warm honey or molasses. I swear I can feel my body temperature warming up every single time I play this.

Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 11-12-2018 at 03:55 AM.

For some reason I can't really pinpoint many specific memories with songs. I can remember generalities like when rap first started hitting big [[Sugarhill Gang, Furious Five, etc.), and my mom and aunt complaining that it was a lot of noise and little else!

I do remember hearing "Jimmy Mack" by Martha and the Vandellas and dancing along to it. I must have been about 2 or 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post

Good post. That is a wonderful song from my 2nd favorite album of Smokey and the Miracles.

I'll always remember hearing The Supremes' "Where Did Our Go" for the very first time on American Bandstand with my family in the summer on 1964. We all truly loved the song and my Dad went to the nearby record store to pick up the single [[with the picture sleeve) that afternoon. For me it's always remained "ground zero" in my love for both The Supremes and The Motown Sound.

"The Love You Save" by the Jackson 5 always takes me back to June 1970. School is out and we are in my father's car driving to visit my aunt over near Kent State University just weeks after the Kent State Massacre. As kids, we hadn't thought about what had just happened in that area.
    Last edited by marv2; 11-13-2018 at 01:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    I'll always remember hearing The Supremes' "Where Did Our Go" for the very first time on American Bandstand with my family in the summer on 1964. We all truly loved the song and my Dad went to the nearby record store to pick up the single [[with the picture sleeve) that afternoon. For me it's always remained "ground zero" in my love for both The Supremes and The Motown Sound.
    My mother bought that record and wore it out! Both sides! LOL! It is still somewhere in the basement at her house looking like an ancient relic now. LOL!

Stoned Love reminds me of college discos. The song was played several times during the evening as it was so popular in the UK.

Where Did Our Love Go/Baby Love sticks in my mind as I saw The Supremes on Ready, Steady, Go! singing both songs and covering a seated Keith Fordyce in lipstick from their kisses. This was the start of my lifelong appreciation of the Motown Sound.
    Last edited by rovereab; 11-12-2018 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    Stoned Love reminds me of college discos. The song was played several times during the evening as it was so popular in the UK.

Where Did Our Love Go/Baby Love sticks in my mind as I saw The Supremes on Ready, Steady, Go! singing both songs and covering a seated Keith Fordyce in lipstick from their kisses. This was the start of my lifelong appreciation of the Motown Sound.
    I remember hearing "Stoned Love" a lot back then. I specifically remember my aunt Odessa in Chicago playing it a lot when we were there. In Detroit you'd hear it on Am and FM stations .

I would have to go with Stop! In The Name Of Love by The Supremes on The Hollywood Place. I remember it was in black & white and they had their hair piled high up on their heads and when it started they threw their hands up in that Stop motion. I was utterly transfixed. The had me at Stop!

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    I would have to go with Stop! In The Name Of Love by The Supremes on The Hollywood Place. I remember it was in black & white and they had their hair piled high up on their heads and when it started they threw their hands up in that Stop motion. I was utterly transfixed. The had me at Stop!

Thommg, that was an iconic performance.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    thommg, we were watching the same performance, although probably on opposite coasts. An uncle said, "This group has had hit after hit!". I was in elementary school and it was years later I learned that it was more like hit after hit after hit after hit and they were all #1s. Stop! takes me back to that little living room, with family gathered together. [[Someone mentioned the big boobs on one of the women. Seeing the clip again, now I know it was Mary).

I had an aunt named Fannie. She was a HUGE Mary Wells fan. I remember she lived below us in an apartment building and we would go down to her apartment when she baby sat us. I remember sitting in a circle with my brother and cousins when she would give us our snacks. All the while in the background a Mary Well's record would be playing.

I'm gonna go waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back to[1959]and a nice song called[bad girl]i was a littlelin but that was the song!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    I'm gonna go waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back to[1959]and a nice song called[bad girl]i was a littlelin but that was the song!
    Now that is a great, great song! Although I wasn't around quite yet, I can picture my parents dancing around to that one.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I had an aunt named Fannie. She was a HUGE Mary Wells fan. I remember she lived below us in an apartment building and we would go down to her apartment when she baby sat us. I remember sitting in a circle with my brother and cousins when she would give us our snacks. All the while in the background a Mary Well's record would be playing.
    I remember the excitement of the “New Supremes”. The ladies in the neighborhood kept a close eye the TV Guide ie. The Glen Campbell show).. JMC were a big deal - their initial impact was astounding due to the fact they were back to being The Supremes. I remember everyone being inside during the broadcast.