[REMOVE ADS]

Dennis Edwards the Songwriter

Sorry if this has been posted about before.

Many know that Aretha's "Daydreaming" was written by her about Dennis Edwards. She also recorded a song WRITTEN by Dennis Edwards - "You and Me".

When Aretha originally recorded YOU AND ME, she was credited as the songwriter. I didn't see Dennis credited until it appeared on her THE QUEEN OF SOUL boxed set on Atlantic. I wondered if Dennis gave her credit to avoid Jobete?

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    When Aretha originally recorded YOU AND ME, she was credited as the songwriter. I didn't see Dennis credited until it appeared on her THE QUEEN OF SOUL boxed set on Atlantic. I wondered if Dennis gave her credit to avoid Jobete?
    Interesting. I didn't know about her being credited originally. The book I read in which I learned Dennis wrote the song [[The Billboard book of #1 Rhythm and Blues Hits) makes no mention of Aretha getting writing credit originally.

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    Interesting. I didn't know about her being credited originally. The book I read in which I learned Dennis wrote the song [[The Billboard book of #1 Rhythm and Blues Hits) makes no mention of Aretha getting writing credit originally.
    She is credited on both the single as well as the SPIRIT IN THE DARK album. But when I read later that Dennis wrote it, I wasn't surprised. The line in the song "You know, TEMPTATION works on us too" was probably a hint.

I had no idea about either of these things. I had also never listened to either track, both of which I really like. I had no idea Aretha and Dennis were romantically involved!!!!!! So cute!!! [[Just looked it up, apparently they were even engaged at one point!)