[REMOVE ADS]

Martha and the Vandellas perform "My Baby Loves Me" on The Mike Douglas Show

You can really hear Roz and Betty

They look and sound great. Thank you Reese.

Fantastic! I love the laid back vibe the band gives the song. And how great to hear Roz and Betty singing live!

They also did HEAT WAVE during this appearance. Hopefully, that clip will surface soon as well.

Was MIke Douglas daytime or nighttime TV? I'm just questioning the casual street clothes.....I'm a sucker for matching gowns!

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    They also did HEAT WAVE during this appearance. Hopefully, that clip will surface soon as well.
    It did surface. I posted it here last year, but it has since been taken down from Youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Was MIke Douglas daytime or nighttime TV? I'm just questioning the casual street clothes.....I'm a sucker for matching gowns!
    The Mike Douglas Show was a late morning show that eventually changed to late afternoons around 4 pm EST. It started off broadcasting from Cleveland and then later on moved their studio to Philadelphia. It was a daily program so hundreds of guests appeared on the program over the years.

The Mike Douglas Show was a daytime show. I was just a kid, but from what I recall, Mike had a very interesting format that seemed to be more relaxed and casual. He seemed to really take his time with guests, getting them to relax, laugh a little but he also would tackle some pretty heavy subjects. There is one show where he had John Lennon and Yoko Ono on for, I believe, an entire week. He would do things like that, and then the guests would almost take on a sort of co-host role.

I think Mike was more of the Old School performer, but he gives the impression that he was very open-minded, very friendly and as long as you were straight with him, he wouldn't put you down just because you were of the younger generation or of a different political stance. With his easy-going manner, that is probably why you'll see most artists performing in more casual clothes than you'd get on other shows.

As others have answered, it was a daytime show. It was syndicated, I believe, by Westinghouse. Around 1980, Mike was let go and his slot was given to John Davidson. Mike then went on to have another daytime show but it didn't last long.

There were times when the guests went casual. I can remember a week when Gladys Knight and the Pips were the co-hosts. On the first day, Gladys actually wore a scarf on her head. I guess she didn't have time to get her hair together. But as you can also see from some 70s Supremes appearances, some guests did pull out their sequins as well.