[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Wilson Sings "Someday We'll Be Together" Nov. 2018

I don't know where this is, but it looks huge. The view in the video of the stage is kinda far back, but the audio is very good:

I appreciate that she changed the key to something that better suited her voice rather than trying to sing it in the original Supremes key and sounding less than good.

I wonder if, like 'Love Child', she introduced this as one of her favorites ... does she mention to the audience that she didn't sing a note on the record?

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I wonder if, like 'Love Child', she introduced this as one of her favorites ... does she mention to the audience that she didn't sing a note on the record?
    Why don't you go ask her?

This was in Tampa. It was at the Mahaffey Theatre.

https://youtu.be/Av4Ve94tJvw

Here Mary says she recorded "Someday" with Diana in 1970.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Why would she? That's not very peaceful or very harmonious.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    https://youtu.be/Av4Ve94tJvw

Here Mary says she recorded "Someday" with Diana in 1970.
    Didn't you listen to what she said in the clip you chose to dispute what I said previously? She said "This is the last song I recorded with Diane in 1970...." She is still telling the truth. "The Farewell Album" was recorded on January 14, 1970 and released on April 13, 1970.

On that album the very last song recorded by Diana Ross, Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong is "Someday We'll Be Together"

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Didn't you listen to what she said in the clip you chose to dispute what I said previously? She said "This is the last song I recorded with Diane in 1970...." She is still telling the truth. "The Farewell Album" was recorded on January 14, 1970 and released on April 13, 1970.

On that album the very last song recorded by Diana Ross, Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong is "Someday We'll Be Together"
    https://youtu.be/Gf9K7VLgtXY

Okay, I'll give you that one. But now explain yourself out of this.
    Last edited by marybrewster; 11-10-2018 at 06:17 PM.

What's this? The Spanish Inquisition?

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    https://youtu.be/Gf9K7VLgtXY

Okay, I'll give you that one. But now explain yourself out of this.
    Interesting. Very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    What's this? The Spanish Inquisition?

Mary has made a number of mistakes with dates and timelines, but she was the one who went public with the Andantes used to sing backgrounds and sweeten vocals. If memory serves me correctly, the Andantes were thanked on the Floy Joy LP-wonder if any other Motown act ever did so. She is far from perfect but she has the right to sing Supremes songs. She was the only member from start to finish. I enjoyed hearing her sing this with Johnny Bristol, who remarked during taping that she sounded good.

I'm in agreement with Jim.

Indeed we shouldn't be to hard on Mary. She never managed a hit so she needs to cobble together a setlist anyway she can.

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    Mary has made a number of mistakes with dates and timelines, but she was the one who went public with the Andantes used to sing backgrounds and sweeten vocals. If memory serves me correctly, the Andantes were thanked on the Floy Joy LP-wonder if any other Motown act ever did so. She is far from perfect but she has the right to sing Supremes songs. She was the only member from start to finish. I enjoyed hearing her sing this with Johnny Bristol, who remarked during taping that she sounded good.
    This!!!!!!

I love how Mary sings SWBT... almost like a gospel song.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I love how Mary sings SWBT... almost like a gospel song.
    Very Gospel, very Soulful.

Stop singing diana ross' lead vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    Stop singing diana ross' lead vocals.
    I don't think she particularly enjoys performing these songs anymore than we enjoy listening to her attempts at singing them, but I guess the promoters insist upon a few Supremes tunes in the absence of any solo hits. I agree it doesn't make for pleasant listening but I do understand why she still includes them in her act.

I’m glad Mary finds work singing these tunes, I personally do not enjoy them, especially SWBT as she can’t hit the notes and changes the melody to distraction. I, however, Do not have to listen to them so, for those few that like them, they get to hear them. It is my opinion however, that if the very same sound and look what is coming from someone other than a Supreme, that even the people that like Mary singing the songs would plug their ears. Also, that look would work much better for radio.
    Last edited by TheMotownManiac; 11-20-2018 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I don't think she particularly enjoys performing these songs anymore than we enjoy listening to her attempts at singing them, but I guess the promoters insist upon a few Supremes tunes in the absence of any solo hits. I agree it doesn't make for pleasant listening but I do understand why she still includes them in her act.
    Surely you are correct. Other than 'Of The Supremes" the name recognition would be pretty much zero.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Looks like promoters don't think a Mary show would sell without her doing them. :/

I really don't enjoy any of the Diana Ross lead songs done by Mary. They really don't sound good IMO.

I dont enjoy all of them, but some have been rather good, especially of late.