[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tina Turner's New Book & Musical

Name:  Tina Book.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  42.1 KB

I was looking at Tina's new book "My Love Story" and noticed that some of the captions under the photos are wrong. For starters the picture labeled the Ikettes is a photo of the ladies in 1968 which by that time technically speaking they were known as the Mirettes. Yes, I know it's the same lineup of girls but this being a book written by Tina you would think the facts and history would be right. Second the photo of the Revue with Sammy Davis Jr. reads that they were in Las Vegas with Sammy, but that is not correct this picture was taken while they appeared on the "Hollywood Palace." Makes me wonder how accurate is the book?

Name:  ITT & Sammy.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  66.7 KB
    Ike & Tina Turner Revue with Sammy Davis Jr. on the Hollywood Palace in 1968.

The photo below is from Tina's new musical. All I can say is when did Tina & The Ikettes ever look like this? The costumes and wigs are just plainly wrong.
    Name:  TT Musical.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  69.3 KB

I noticed some of these inaccuracies re photos as well but I've seen similar things in the biographies of other artists so I don't get that bent out of shape about it. Although I will admit that the photo which is labeled as including Stedman [[Graham) when it is really her recently-deceased eldest son made me wonder who didn't catch that one.

Re the rest of the book, I'm sure there probably are some errors but I didn't find anything really glaring when I read it. I was more struck by how revealing she was when it came to her relationship with her mother, and her recent illnesses.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I noticed some of these inaccuracies re photos as well but I've seen similar things in the biographies of other artists so I don't get that bent out of shape about it. Although I will admit that the photo which is labeled as including Stedman [[Graham) when it is really her recently-deceased eldest son made me wonder who didn't catch that one.

Re the rest of the book, I'm sure there probably are some errors but I didn't find anything really glaring when I read it. I was more struck by how revealing she was when it came to her relationship with her mother, and her recent illnesses.
    Exactly. She dished more tea in the I, Tina book too. I need to see if I can find that one. In the event she may pass one day [[I hope it's ten years from now, God knows we can be spared from more legendary deaths after ARETHA passed), they may re-sell the book like they did Michael's Moonwalker.

Oh, I'm not complaining and I very much enjoyed the book. I just agree that there was an error on the photo with Sammy Davis, Jr. But it's not a big deal as there are so many similar errors in other books. Many years ago Michelle Phillips did a book, California Dreamin', and when the book came out she saw an error on a photo of her and John Phillips with Lou Adler and his then-wife, Shelley Fabares. The error said "Lou Adler and date". She actually told Shelley about it. So, yes, there are similar errors in a lot of books and sometimes it's not caught until the book is printed and shipped. Martha Reeves' book misspelled my last name as Rossi. Martha told them several times when she saw it in the advance printing, but it never got corrected.

Tina had a slight stroke and a kidney transplant in the past 2 years so I think its okay if shes got some names or dates wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Tina had a slight stroke and a kidney transplant in the past 2 years so I think its okay if shes got some names or dates wrong.
    I agree, and that's up to fact-checkers and editors anyway. The lady has led a quite full life and I for one won't be offended by an incorrect caption on a picture.

You do know she had a stroke, right? It's amazing after all she went through that she was still sharp on many events nonetheless. She did admitted not remembering some things in the book. I'm not gonna fault her for getting some things wrong, especially in the Ike and Tina era.

Anyway, I got the new book a week ago and I love it. In it, Tina also brings up the times they had to endure racism while traveling down South. I always kept hearing BS about how Tina didn't like being black and all of that but in her book, it's clear she takes pride in breaking barriers as a musician. I still would've liked more about the first post-Ike years [[1977-82) but what I read was good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Anyway, I got the new book a week ago and I love it. In it, Tina also brings up the times they had to endure racism while traveling down South. I always kept hearing BS about how Tina didn't like being black and all of that but in her book, it's clear she takes pride in breaking barriers as a musician. I still would've liked more about the first post-Ike years [[1977-82) but what I read was good enough.
    I think she might not have delved as deeply for those years, and for the Ike era as well, because she had written about them in her first book, I, TINA. She might have had a page limit for this one, and of course, that first book was written over 30 years ago. I can't believe it has been that long.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I think she might not have delved as deeply for those years, and for the Ike era as well, because she had written about them in her first book, I, TINA. She might have had a page limit for this one, and of course, that first book was written over 30 years ago. I can't believe it has been that long.
    The book came out in 1986 and IIRC, Ike participated in it so you got some of his input. Tina's stories were wilder in that one than this one.

Quote Originally Posted by brother_love View Post
    Name:  Tina Book.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  42.1 KB

I was looking at Tina's new book "My Love Story" and noticed that some of the captions under the photos are wrong. For starters the picture labeled the Ikettes is a photo of the ladies in 1968 which by that time technically speaking they were known as the Mirettes. Yes, I know it's the same lineup of girls but this being a book written by Tina you would think the facts and history would be right. Second the photo of the Revue with Sammy Davis Jr. reads that they were in Las Vegas with Sammy, but that is not correct this picture was taken while they appeared on the "Hollywood Palace." Makes me wonder how accurate is the book?

Name:  ITT & Sammy.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  66.7 KB
    Ike & Tina Turner Revue with Sammy Davis Jr. on the Hollywood Palace in 1968.

The photo below is from Tina's new musical. All I can say is when did Tina & The Ikettes ever look like this? The costumes and wigs are just plainly wrong.
    Name:  TT Musical.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  69.3 KB
    I noticed that on the Sammy Davis, Jr. photo too as I remember the Hollywood Palace performance.
    Last edited by rrussi; 11-15-2018 at 06:10 AM.

The woman gets one thing wrong and some of y'all are like "maybe the book's not factual".

The woman has went through:
    1.) a mild stroke
    2.) intestinal cancer brought on by high blood pressure [[and possibly 53 years [[1956-2009 with some breaks between 1988 and 2008) of nonstop touring)
    3.) kidney failure

But since she got some people's names wrong, it's enough to doubt the book???

You do know there were like 200 Ikettes, right?

1968 was the same year she attempted suicide [[earlier before the Hollywood Palace pic), it's possible the Ikettes were interchangeable that year anyway.

I know I'm a Tina stan but come on guys... come on.
    Last edited by midnightman; 11-16-2018 at 04:51 PM.

Ah OK.

But yeah we forget autobiographers are not in control with how a book turns out especially when it comes to pictures. The person may say one thing and the editor will get it all wrong. It happens.

I just don't like it when people try to come for my Tina. Lol

Loved the fairytale aspect of meeting, marrying, and loving her current husband! Beautiful story! And their obvious love and support of one another.