[REMOVE ADS]

Motown Farewells

Supremes-yes [[Did they mention they were breaking up in the shows right before the Flamingo?)
    Smokey and Miracles- I think they did a farewell tour, didn’t they?
    Martha and Vandellas-I remember their last show being discussed as that-was it advertised as such?
    Commodores-no
    Gladys and Pips-no

Any more info? Corrections?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Supremes-yes [[Did they mention they were breaking up in the shows right before the Flamingo?)
    Smokey and Miracles- I think they did a farewell tour, didn’t they?
    Martha and Vandellas-I remember their last show being discussed as that-was it advertised as such?
    Commodores-no
    Gladys and Pips-no

Any more info? Corrections?
    The Supremes 1967 break up was not mentioned in their shows in advance.

Smokey Robinson and the Miracles did an extensive farewell tour in 1972. It was also filmed.

Martha Reeves and the Vandellas last show was at Cobo Hall in Detroit. I don't remember any formal advertising about it.

Commodores never had a formal farewell. Lionel Richie just stopped showing up and the group heard through his attorney LOL!

Gladys Knight and the Pips never really broke up [[if you ask her) but not farewell show or tour. Gladys signed a solo contract after the last couple of hits with the Pips in 1987.

Thanks Marv! Thoughtful of Lionel! I meant the Supremes in 1970/1969

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Thanks Marv! Thoughtful of Lionel! I meant the Supremes in 1970/1969
    What happened with the Supremes in 1969 was Motown issued a press release [[although it was first reported locally to us on radio station CKLW on October 31, 1969) Mary [[and I would assume Cindy Birdsong too) read about it in an industry publication first.

Another very thoughtful happening!

I've always wondered about the Marvelettes too. I'm assuming because Wanda went on to record "Return" without Kat and Ann, that the group had ceased touring by this time. But I question:

When was their last actual performance together?

What if "Return" had hit? Kat was THROUGH with the group by then, so would Wanda have hit the road solo? Or found two new Marvelettes?

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I've always wondered about the Marvelettes too. I'm assuming because Wanda went on to record "Return" without Kat and Ann, that the group had ceased touring by this time. But I question:

When was their last actual performance together?

What if "Return" had hit? Kat was THROUGH with the group by then, so would Wanda have hit the road solo? Or found two new Marvelettes?
    She more than likely would have regrouped with Gladys Horton and a third member as they eventually did briefly in 1981.