[REMOVE ADS]

Motown in the UK in October 1964

From October 1964

Name:  Motown ad 099.jpg
Views: 1125
Size:  96.6 KB

Tbfxtown....

Reading this Record Mail article again after nearly 55 years leaves me feeling young, just as if it were only yesterday.

At the same time, it does also leave me feeling rather old. LOL

Simply a case of what was 'once the truth', in sharp contrast with what is 'now the truth'.

Any more you can share with us?

Us! You mean you! If I find any more I'll send them to you. :-)

Well that's kind, thanks for that - but, by 'us', I'm meaning the 'silent majority' LOL

That is, many on this side of the Atlantic, and also anyone in the US, Canada and elsewhere in the world, who would be interested to read [[and/or be reminded lol) how 'Tamla Motown' was being reported here in UK....

Come out, come out, wherever you are!

I may have to start a petition

Interesting to read about the "beat standards" which quite a few of the early Motown hits became!

Wasn't the Record Mail owned by EMI?

Yes, I think it was.

Think I used to buy it from the independent record shop in our town?

That would explain why the details about Tamla Motown were more extensive, as EMI were promoting their own releases in Record Mail, and so features were often more interesting than other pop magazines.

Think there would often be large, even full page pics?

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    Yes, I think it was.

Think I used to buy it from the independent record shop in our town?

That would explain why the details about Tamla Motown were more extensive, as EMI were promoting their own releases in Record Mail, and so features were often more interesting than other pop magazines.

Think there would often be large, even full page pics?
    How much was it? Can you remember? I seem to recall it was free but something tells me that I was buying it one point.

There also used to be those smaller catalogues. Do you remember those?

I use to buy "Record Mirror" but I can't remember where I would get it at. Maybe a news stand at the Mall? In Orlando, Fl. I love reading these old record magazines. So much of my stuff was thrown out in the boxes I had them packed in, when I moved out to Calif. for awile in the 70's.

Smile

I think it was a very small amount of money for Record Mail. What you might call a 'nominal value'?

I have an idea I might have been given it free of charge whenever I bought more than one single - or maybe when buying an album? [[or 'long player' at that time lol).

My indie record shop had a whole box of TM albums from EMI on sale or return, around the time the label was introduced. If I'd had enough money, I would have bought the lot!

But they used to let me have the promo LP/album covers, when they'd finished using them around the shop.

As it was, I generally had to get all the singles and albums ordered specially.

Sample conversation:

Me: "Can I order some records, please?"
    The lady proprietor, pen poised : "What were the titles?"
    Me: "Heat Wave. Oh, and also "Quicksand."
    Lady proprietor: "Oh? Who are they by?"
    Me: ""Martha and the Vandellas"

There was a short pause.

Lady proprietor, her hand holding the pen by then frozen in mid-air, while giving me a steady, searching look over the top of her glasses...

"Come again???"

Those smaller catalogues? More details? Complete blank on those at moment....
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 02-12-2019 at 04:54 PM.

Come Again......that phrase turned out to be more than useful in later life! LOLOL

With you being such a keen record collector, I would have thought the term 'reissue' would be particularly appropriate....

Not any more.....! :-)

I was very lucky. My local record shops, Saville's and when I moved P& J's, used to stock everything.