[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    A good amount of Stevie stuff there!

Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    Track lists now up at http://www.dftmc.info/bonus/b-08a.html and next page. It shows release date for both parts as 14 Dec, but I understand part 2 will follow a week later, on 21 Dec.
    Fantastic,incredible and amazing, from Germany a great thank you for that fantastic work !!!! 9 Blinky tracks, two Aretha Covers by Martha and The Vandellas, a version of "Drown in my own tears" by The Vancouvers and "Tears at the end of a love affair" as a duet and itīs so overhelmed to see a further duet of the graet Chuck Jackson with Yvonne.

Looks interesting. Didn't know T&T actually recorded some songs. I see Stevie's team responded to the call[[wink) and fans can be happy with Blinky being emancipated. Good to see Berry Gordy had a little more time than usual to contribute in the studio. Thanks to Keith,Harry and everyone else at UMe for the hard work and dedication. I'll have it at midnight on Friday.

Looking forward to the set- especially Blinky, Stevie & Jr. Walker. I was surprised to see how much Paul Peterson had recorded.
    It's interesting to see just how many non-Motown copyrighted songs performed live by Motown artists/groups have studio recorded versions in the vaults.

Thank you, Keith, for all of your hard work. This looks AMAZING! I did notice there aren’t any 1968 Supremes tracks, but I’m going to assume they have been earmarked for release on “Reflections: Expanded Edition,” “Love Child: Expanded Edition,” and “Let The Sunshine In: Expanded Edition” sets in the future. [[Hey, a guy can dream!)

Wow they're fantastic. Plenty of Billy Eckstine and Blinky there. "Ode To The Supremes" by Bobby Taylor and The Vancouver's lol. "Now Is The Time For Love" on Paul Petersen. A few there by T&T [[eh?). Some really interesting stuff. Can't wait.

I'm probably going to regret asking this as a long time Motown fan but who is T&T?

I'm guessing it's Terry [[Johnson) and Teresa [[Botial) since Terry wrote 4 of the 5 tracks and Theresa [sic] wrote the 5th.

T&T is Terry Johnson and some lady named Terri, a Tammi Terrell lookalike he was paired with for a duet project. Apparently Smokey Robinson wanted to cash in on the Marvin & Tammi concept. Terri’s jealous boyfriend caused Smokey to scrap the project!
    Last edited by jboy88; 12-11-2018 at 04:52 PM.

A quick note to say that Part 1 will be released this Friday, 14 Dec, and Part 2 next Friday, 21 Dec. At present both parts have the same date on the site. I have asked Ritchie to change the date of Part 2, but since you've all seen it "wrong" I thought I'd better put you wise. It'll take you a week to absorb the first 50 songs, I'm sure!

Keith, thanks for a great mu68.
    Delighted by the number of Stevie Wonder tracks. However, previous MU have not had many Stevie tracks on them....have previous years been exhausted or was he not recording as much in 66-67?

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    Keith, thanks for a great mu68.
    Delighted by the number of Stevie Wonder tracks. However, previous MU have not had many Stevie tracks on them....have previous years been exhausted or was he not recording as much in 66-67?
    It's all a matter of bad "timing" I guess I should say. There's quite a bit of material in the vaults on Stevie, much of it exceptional from what I've heard over the years. In fact a "Lost & Found" was planned years ago, but UMe scrapped the project [[like Gladys & The Pips) for reasons unknown to me. When it comes to this series though, the dilemma is Universal reaching out to Stevie and him not reaching back in time. Unfortunate for us because tracks were selected for inclusion on the past two collections. Better late than never though.

If I may ask 2 questions:

This set includes "Send Him to Me" by Debbie Dean, and "Send Her To Me" by the Four Tops. Both written by Lussier and Dean. Is this the same track with exchange of HIM and HER?

Also, looking at these two tracks[[ and perhaps there's more examples; this one just jumped out to me): is there a reason Lussier received top credit next to Dean on 14, and vice versa on 15? Is this, in general, common with writing partners? Or does this suggest Lussier contributed more to 14 and Dean contributed more to 15?

14. Send Him To Me - Debbie Dean
    [[Dennis Lussier-Debbie Dean)
    15. I Believe In Him - Debbie Dean
    [[Debbie Dean-Dennis Lussier)

I just noticed that there are no Norman Whitfield productions. I also see that the supposedly last two tracks by The "New" Mynah Birds "Masquerade" and "Fantasy" are also absent. What happened Brother Keith?

Thanks so much, Harry, Keith & Company. You can count on me to buy both "MU1968 [[Vol. 1 & 2)" and "In Loving Memory [[Expanded)" as well as whatever else you make available. Looking forward to it!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 12-12-2018 at 03:00 AM.

Masquerade and Fantasy have no vocals, Quinn.

Send Her/Him are the same song, Mary. Nothing significant in the order of the writers, either with this song or any other in DFTMC, except that the annotator is getting sloppy in his old age. Per the Library Of Congress entry for the Him version, both writers wrote both words and music; the Her version isn't listed separately.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    It's all a matter of bad "timing" I guess I should say. There's quite a bit of material in the vaults on Stevie, much of it exceptional from what I've heard over the years. In fact a "Lost & Found" was planned years ago, but UMe scrapped the project [[like Gladys & The Pips) for reasons unknown to me. When it comes to this series though, the dilemma is Universal reaching out to Stevie and him not reaching back in time. Unfortunate for us because tracks were selected for inclusion on the past two collections. Better late than never though.
    So Stevie gave his approval to 1968, but not previous years. ? If so that's a shame if there were tracks from those years. One wonders [[ no pun intended) if we'll ever get them released now.

So Stevie gave his approval to 1968, but not previous years. ? If so that's a shame if there were tracks from those years. One wonders [[ no pun intended) if we'll ever get them released now.
    Y'know Snake, I wonder the same thing, but I don't think it's as bad as it may sound. By the '66-'67 tracks falling into the Public Domain they're not protected by U.S. Copyright law. So no permission is needed to use the songs if my memory serves me correctly. I don't believe all is lost, they can probably be released it's just that not much of a fight can be put up when someone is interested in releasing them. Maybe Keith or someone here who knows more about this can provide clarity, but I don't think we have too much to worry about.

Ok Quinn thanks.
    Sort Stevie out and then Smokey /Miracles

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    Y'know Snake, I wonder the same thing, but I don't think it's as bad as it may sound. By the '66-'67 tracks falling into the Public Domain they're not protected by U.S. Copyright law. So no permission is needed to use the songs if my memory serves me correctly. I don't believe all is lost, they can probably be released it's just that not much of a fight can be put up when someone is interested in releasing them. Maybe Keith or someone here who knows more about this can provide clarity, but I don't think we have too much to worry about.
    My understanding is that the reason for these digital only previously unreleased releases at 50 years is for European laws. That when the European law got changed to lengthen copyright, there was a clause for not released prior to certain date at 50 years they would need to be released to lengthen to 75 years or fall into public domain.

My understanding is that US copyright is already at 75 years whether released on unreleased.

As far as unreleased reverting back to the artist after a certain time, I believe is determined by what was in the artists original contracts.

I've always been under the impression that Stevie's catalog prior to 1971 when he renewed his contract with Motown was under Motown's jurisdiction and that from 1971 on, Stevie has the final word and has to be negotiated every single time.
    Last edited by greg jones; 12-13-2018 at 01:42 AM.

This has plenty for everybody. Many thanks Keith and Team. I hope that you have reserved a few others for later Ace releases.

Just downloaded both parts of Motown Unreleased 1968 from Amazon UK. BLINKY – ‘My World Is Crumbling’ is currently playing. I’m a happy boy More later.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motown-Unre...nreleased+1968

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motown-Unre...nreleased+1968

Hi there, just to let everyone know that BOTH volumes of Motown Unreleased 1968 are now available on Qobuz and 7Digital, where I am, at least [[Ireland). I've bought both in FLAC; Vol. 1 [[€32.49 on 7Digital, €34.99 on Qobuz) was nearly twice the price of Vol. 2, though [[€19.49 on 7Digital, €17.99 on Qobuz). A bit steep for Vol. 1, maybe? It only has 12 more tracks. Always glad to get these releases, though!

Edit: I see Copley got there before me!

I still think it's awesome that we get new Motown music being released in 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I still think it's awesome that we get new Motown music being released in 2018.
    Me, too, Tom! It's like Motown is still alive and kicking to this day! I just checked out each of the tracks on Part 1. [[Thanks for the tracklist and 30-second audio samples, Copley!) However, I'm confused about something. Being a huge Andantes fan, as I am, I couldn't help but notice that they're conspicuously missing from these recordings. I'm left wondering who the back-up girls are on these songs. They're clearly not The Andantes -- or, at least, not my favorite combination of Louvain, Jackie, and Marlene. Their harmonic blend is definitely not the one featured on these MU1968 tracks. Does anyone have any idea who these girls are?

I just listened to the samples. Here were some standouts to me:

Ain't It A Shame - Barbara McNair
    Yesterday's Dreams [[Version 1) - Four Tops
    Show Me The Way - Gladys & the Pips
    Ooo Baby Baby - Blinky
    Billy Buchanan - Blinky
    Give Me All Of Your Lovin' - Stevie Wonder
    I'm In A Different World [[live) - The Originals
    By The Time I Get To Phoenix [[live) - Gladys & the Pips
    You Met Your Match [[live) - Stevie Wonder
    Hey Love [[live) - Stevie Wonder
    It's A Bitter Pill To Swallow [[Version 1) - Marvin Gaye
    Ode To The Supremes - Bobby Taylor
    Can't Help But Love You - Gladys Knight & the Pips
    All I Want Is A Little Bit Of Love - Stevie Wonder
    Fuerte Amor - San Remo Strings
    Now Is The Time For Love - Paul Petersen
    Opportunity Knock [[For Me) - Four Tops
    What The World Needs Now Is Love - Chris Clark
    Feeling Good - Chris Clark
    Sunny - Chris Clark
    Sweet Soul Music - Martha & the Vandellas
    I Can Feel The Pain - David Ruffin & Ivy Jo Hunter

Downloaded Parts 1 & 2 …. 7digital.uk They we up just after midnight!

WOW!

Cheers

Paul

Can we talk about how amazing this is? I had predicted a few years ago that if a Motown version existed that it should mention the Motown artists. It looks like they did just that. This was the track meant for the Supremes. I wish they had added their vocals, but Martha tears it up.

Bobby Taylor's tribute to The Supremes:

Absolutely in love with the first version of YESTERDAY'S DREAMS, and OPPORTUNITY KNOCK FOR ME or should I say TRAPPED IN LOVE'S CORRIDOR. SEND HER TO ME is phenomenal.

I like the sound of this one:

Nice to see another credit for Beatrice Verdi, a favourite of mine.

15. Can’t Help But Love You - Gladys Knight & The Pips
    [[Harvey Fuqua-John Bristol-Beatrice Verdi)
    Produced by Harvey Fuqua

The track for Blinky's 'I'll Be In Trouble" sounds as if it were being prepped for Barbara Randolph to record. [[Thank you, Paul Nixon for Barbara's magnificent U.K. collection of several years ago ). Any suggestion/paperwork that it was planned for Barbara to record?

Not heard em yet but does "I'll Be In Trouble" use the same backing track as the Marvelettes version?

Somehow this one just grabbed me during the prep phase and wouldn't let go. What do people think of these guys? Why are there no legit, mastered from tape, digital compilations of their work? Would you buy one if there were? [[I'm just asking out of interest, this isn't some kind of hidden announcement!)

Last edited by keith_hughes; 12-14-2018 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Not heard em yet but does "I'll Be In Trouble" use the same backing track as the Marvelettes version?
    No it's not the same but it if it was it would the Marvelettes using the same backing track as Blinky.

Somehow this one just grabbed me during the prep phase and wouldn't let go. What do people think of these guys? Why are there no legit, mastered from tape, digital compilations of their work? Would you buy one if there were? [[I'm just asking out of interest, this isn't some kind of hidden announcement!)

Spooky but I have just reached this track on Vol 2. The answer is YES I would buy a collection by them. I have about 30 or so tracks and love them.

I really love this one, Keith. I noticed the piano in the beginning and wondered if it was added in for this version or if it is on the original track and muted on the Four Tops' version?

Yes a SRGS set is long overdue - the bootleggers have had their own way for too long. I would have an official CD like a shot.

Me too.
    I'd love a collection of backing tracks just like this.

Does the fact that The Originals sing I'm in a different world at the Fox imply that they actually recorded it and then it was given to the Four Tops?

Great version - very haunting. There's an instrumental version [[maybe a bootleg?) floating around of Shake Hands With A Dreamer by Jimmy Ruffin with what sounds like a more lush arrangment too - I'm now wondering if it's by the San Remo Golden Strings too?

Does the fact that The Originals sing I'm in a different world at the Fox imply that they actually recorded it and then it was given to the Four Tops?
    I wish there's a studio version by the Originals. "I'm In A Different World" was the last song HDH worked on before they left Motown. However it was incomplete when they left. Their last session was supervising the background vocals, but they were gone before Levi added his vocal. R. Dean Taylor supervised Levi's vocal as well as Diana's vocal on "Forever Came Today."

Of course I would!

Delightful. Makes me want to drive up Hwy 1 to Carmel with the top down!

Yes,if you,Harry and Andrew could find all the tapes and convince the bean counters to get behind it. When Berry Gordy purchased Golden World he may have gotten all of the San Remo masters too,like The Reflections. Gold may be in those hills that you're basically the authority of so look into it. But only after your vacation[[ you deserve one if you're not on one already). This a beautiful tune and a great example of the Detroit sound with it's melancholy chords and sophisticated orchestration. The sound was too slick for even some Detroiters [[ Don Davis), but to me no other city could match it at that time. Wonderful.

Fantastic track. So very '60's! I would LOVE a legit CD on the SR Strings. It's long overdue.

Quote Originally Posted by lakedistrictlad1 View Post
    Fantastic track. So very '60's! I would LOVE a legit CD on the SR Strings. It's long overdue.
    Me, too.

Also Keith, a series of Hitsville band tracks. We've had some, of course, but I for one would love more.

Sometimes it's just great to have the music and concentrate on that, and not the vocals. Also to sing with..and great to drive with.

Have you noticed how many Motown band tracks, or instrumental breaks from vocal recordings, are showing up in background of daytime TV programmes?

It's real music.....always was, always will be.

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    Me, too.

Also Keith, a series of Hitsville band tracks. We've had some, of course, but I for one would love more.....

It's real music.....always was, always will be.
    And as Blinky Williams sang in 1969