[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Motown Unreleased 1968

Does anyone have information about MOTOWN UNRELEASED 1968?

We are already at the end of October and the end of the year is near.

I'm definitely excited to have a track list. Usually we know in October.

It's happening. Track list not finalised yet.

Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    It's happening. Track list not finalised yet.
    Thank you for the great news. As always, thank you in advance.

Thank you very much for the great information Keith.

I would love this to be a physical set - but I suspect we saw the first and last of those with the '66 set.

Do you have any tantalizing teasers, Keith?

Thank you very much Keith, for the information. Hope we have some unreleased Blinky stuff including.

Just bumping this up as it's sure getting close...

I could risk a hint ... don't overspend on Christmas presents, Fullfillingness! List is currently at 100, but that number will likely go down as I'm not sure where we stand on clearances, and a few of them will need a LOT of repair at the mixing stage and may get abandoned. This project is one with a very hard deadline, obviously. But mixing is now underway.

Thanks for the update Keith.....looking forward to it!

cool news glad we r getting new music

Anything new to share about the release date and possibly a tracking listing?

Do these tracks have to be recorded in 1968 or can they be from any previous year but COMPLETED in 68?

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    Do these tracks have to be recorded in 1968 or can they be from any previous year but COMPLETED in 68?
    I thought it was when the track was completed. A track could have been cut in 1966 or 1967, but if vocals weren't added until 1968 which then qualifies it for Motown Unreleased 1968.

Sounds reasonable.
    Looking forward to this release , anything new is most welcome.

The criterion is, it's tracks that were COMPLETED in 1968. Bradsupremes, you're right: some of these were indeed started in 66/67, and three are overdubs on 1965 tracks.

We're moving forward through the mixing, and as I feared we've lost a few due to being unable to fix poor or incomplete performances. But nothing has failed to clear yet, as far as I know, so fingers crossed ... I'll publish a track list somewhere as soon as it's finalised

Keith is there any way to obtain a copy of these imperfect tracks?

If they aren't released by the current copyright holder within 25 years of recording, the copyright reverts to the artist[[s) - as I understand it. I suppose that means the artist could choose to release it himself. But they're being held back because we don't think the artist would WANT it to come out ... tho' I admit the artist [[or his heirs) isn't consulted in each case. There is quite a sizeable budget for these big annual releases, but it doesn't stretch that far!

Blinky?
    Utopians?
    Am I warm Keith?

Are you feeling warm, Snakepit? Maybe you should stay out of the kitchen while the chefs are at work! I'll let you know when dinner is ready ...
    Last edited by keith_hughes; 12-02-2018 at 07:23 PM.

Please let there be some Stevie in there...

I hope that there are some Smokey releases in this set.

Was wondering if there were still decent songs still in the vaults that would at least make
    good album cuts, I was thinking by 1968, music was changing and Motown was starting to
    decline and get away from the classic sound of 1965-66 as HDH left, riots in Detroit etc.

Quote Originally Posted by nevertoolate View Post
    Was wondering if there were still decent songs still in the vaults that would at least make
    good album cuts, I was thinking by 1968, music was changing and Motown was starting to
    decline and get away from the classic sound of 1965-66 as HDH left, riots in Detroit etc.
    This is the same concern I have. 1968 was the last great year at Motown as nearly all members of the first family had defected. Keith's job may be drastically harder from this point forward. I see him rejecting a massive number of tunes as quality will be harder to come by. Hope I'm wrong though.

I hope that there will be some tracks by Gladys Knight & The Pips included.

I think that by 1968 tracks were recorded over a long time frame. Completed in 1968 may actually mean started in 67 and, as Keith alluded to, before that. I'm sure there will be some good quality here as Motown needed to up it's game with HDH going. Presumably other producers and writers saw a chance to take over...let's hope so.

I know I'm leap frogging here but 1969 will be interesting with the amount of unreleased J5 tracks in the vaults.... but i dont think motown will miss a trick here.... im sure they'll bring out a seperate compilation for the 50th anniversary of I want you back.

Please FOUR TOPS, please FOUR TOPS 💛☺️☺️👍

Quote Originally Posted by alexstassi View Post
    I know I'm leap frogging here but 1969 will be interesting with the amount of unreleased J5 tracks in the vaults.... but i dont think motown will miss a trick here.... im sure they'll bring out a seperate compilation for the 50th anniversary of I want you back.
    I agree! I feel like it will be a separate release. Maybe THE BOBBY TAYLOR SESSIONS or something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by jaorecords View Post
    I agree! I feel like it will be a separate release. Maybe THE BOBBY TAYLOR SESSIONS or something like that?

I assume you knowabout The Bobby Taylor Motown Anthology? Both albums and many unissued tracks on a double CD.
    Last edited by snakepit; 12-04-2018 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    I assume you knowabout The Bobby Taylor Motown Anthology? Both albums and many unissued tracks on a double CD.
    I think jao was probably referring to any Bobby Taylor produced Jackson 5 material

Ah I understand now.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    This is the same concern I have. 1968 was the last great year at Motown as nearly all members of the first family had defected. Keith's job may be drastically harder from this point forward. I see him rejecting a massive number of tunes as quality will be harder to come by. Hope I'm wrong though.
    I would think any tracks left unused for the upcoming set and future sets of the series would be contingent on whether the fellas can get clearance or the actual track would be damaging to the legacy of the artist [[bad notes, etc). While the idea that Motown's quality began to diminish in the late 60s is a debatable one, I would think that Keith and the guys wouldn't use their own personal likes and dislikes to determine what's good or bad in order to decide what to release and what to withhold. I can't imagine that too many of the producers during the time frame would characterize their unreleased Motown tunes as so bad they aren't worthy for release even 50 years later.

Quote Originally Posted by alexstassi View Post
    im sure they'll bring out a seperate compilation for the 50th anniversary of I want you back.
    Good luck with that. Universal failed with Motown 50 and tons of other landmark anniversaries. Look at this year alone... 50th anniversaries of TCB, Love Child, I Heard It Through The Grapevine, Cloud Nine, etc and we saw nothing out of it. Next year is Motown 60 and I bet it will come and go without anyone noticing it.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Good luck with that. Universal failed with Motown 50 and tons of other landmark anniversaries. Look at this year alone... 50th anniversaries of TCB, Love Child, I Heard It Through The Grapevine, Cloud Nine, etc and we saw nothing out of it. Next year is Motown 60 and I bet it will come and go without anyone noticing it.
    All good points, except the J5 are really something else entirely. As legendary as the Supremes, Tempts and Marvin are, Michael Jackson eclipses them all and Universal might see dollar signs in capitalizing off of the J5 50th than they have done with other golden anniversaries. One thing is almost a sure bet: Motown 60 will probably come and go without any Universal fanfare.

The recent article on the Motown Museum [[ on this forum) hinted at 60th album special promotion...whatever that means!

Final list looks to be 88, but glancing through the "I wish"es above I think Santa has pleased everyone. I would get on with posting the list to DFTMC, but I have another Motown digital product to get out on the same date, so it'll have to wait. Heigh ho, another chore for me, another teaser for you.

Final list looks to be 88, but glancing through the "I wish"es above I think Santa has pleased everyone. I would get on with posting the list to DFTMC, but I have another Motown digital product to get out on the same date, so it'll have to wait. Heigh ho, another chore for me, another teaser for you.
    It's the Disney album isn't it? But digital only?. Noooooo!!!!��

Disney album?
    You could wish upon a star...

Whoever would let ME loose on a Supremes issue?

Back in the real world: the other digital project is an Expanded Edition of "In Loving Memory". There are 34 tracks, 9 of them previously unreleased. The original album will be remastered from the original tape, won't be a[[nother) re-tread of the 1995 Polygram CD.

Motown Unreleased will be issued as two separate releases, amusingly subtitled Part 1 and Part 2, on Dec 14. Ritchie has the annotations to upload to the DFTMC site, but it won't happen overnight; he may wait till I send him the annos for In Loving Memory in the next couple of days.

I said "same date" for the other project; should have said, my deadline is same date, but the release date may be a day or week or two later. But this month.

Thanks Keith. Surprised by the release date,we haven't gotten one of these collections early since MU1965. Even though I'm not a huge fan of "In Loving Memory" I'll probably get this too to support you guys. Proud that you're utilizing the original session tapes and not a second or third generation tape. Nevertheless I got my CD-R's ready to go and a little extra cash in case a physical MU1967 eases in. Thanks Brother Keith.

Keith is there any chance of you naming the songs that didn`t make it to the final list.
    Please!

Fantastic, I can definitely wait a week for the latest Motown Unreleased. Can't wait to see what unearthed gems will be appearing. I too will support the release of In Loving Memory. I'm not a fan of gospel at all, but will definitely purchase it to hopefully continue these wonderful reissues. You guys are kings, and deserve every bit of support for the amazing work you do!

Track lists now up at http://www.dftmc.info/bonus/b-08a.html and next page. It shows release date for both parts as 14 Dec, but I understand part 2 will follow a week later, on 21 Dec.

Track lists now up at http://www.dftmc.info/bonus/b-08a.html and next page. It shows release date for both parts as 14 Dec, but I understand part 2 will follow a week later, on 21 Dec.
    Fantastic. Thanks for all the hard work you all do 💜💚💙👍

Oh my Lord. First version of YESTERDAY'S DREAMS. That's a dream come true. The Originals I'M IN A DIFFERENT WORLD live?! Incredible.

It doesn't disappoint.... :-) Thanks for sharing; bring on the 14th..

Thanks to all involved..some good looking items here.

Looking good and the mono masters have been used!