[REMOVE ADS]

The O’jays have a new album coming out.. FOR REAL!

It’s called “The Last Word”. Apparently, it will also be their final album of new material. No word on the release date but there’s a single available now, “Above the Law”. I’ve only heard a small sample but I like it so far. These guys still got it.

Excellent news about the new album. Sad that it is their final one. Thank you Jboy88.

Yessss. I still need to get their last one, the one that was recently rereleased that is.

Yes good news! but not impressed at all with the single release last week!

I like "Above The Law" very much from what I have heard.

I've just heard about The O'Jays' new song "Above The Law" and I think it's very good. Check it out here:
    https://youtu.be/JHSK71l7lbk

And it's good to know that there's a new album coming as well. Thanks for the info Jboy.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    I've just heard about The O'Jays' new song "Above The Law" and I think it's very good. Check it out here:
    https://youtu.be/JHSK71l7lbk

And it's good to know that there's a new album coming as well. Thanks for the info Jboy.
    Something sounds off with that mix. Eddie Levert's voice sounds distorted. Good message song overall.

I'm not feelin this one although i dig where they're coming from with the message.

Too scared to play it [[not because of the message because I love their message songs). Too many legendary acts think they have to always modernize to maintain. Sometimes staying old school is the best medicine [[not just in vocal style but in production sound too). And I say that as someone who loved their last album prior to this [[Imagination, which probably would've done better on the charts had they promoted it often on R&B radio when R&B radio was still a little nicer to the legacy acts than they are now). I know it won't be like a song with a trap beat or anything but yeah, I'm just glad to hear they're still kicking, for as long as they can [[since they say this is their last album of new material). What a remarkable 60-year run!

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Too many legendary acts think they have to always modernize to maintain. Sometimes staying old school is the best medicine [[not just in vocal style but in production sound too).
    Completely agree, it happened before with the disco era, agree The O'Jays made some great message songs, but for me this is all over the place, fingers crossed that they stick to their roots more on the album, it would be sad for what they say is a last album to be weak.

I don't knows really why I can have lost totally my interest in the music by a vocal group who were one of my absolute not only group or soul group but absolute favorite artists from "Lonely Drifter" or "Just Another Guy" to "Undercover Lover" or, lately in the 90's, "Emotionally Yours" passing trough masterpieces as the whole albums "Ship Ahoy" or "Survival". My last O'Jays CD adquisition was "Heartbreaker" and a reedition of "My Favorite Person" / "When Will I See You Again" two in one.

I miss the big band sound and the "feeling" on their material of the seventies. The same about The Dells "I Salute You",... drum machines, do not strings and horns... what a deception!

WHERE IS NOT ONLY THE BIG-BAND - SYMPHONIC SOUL [[OR, SIMPLY, THE SYMPHONIC MUSIC, ROCK OR POP INCLUDED)...??