[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Harry Weinger and Questlove on "The Motown Sound"

Cheers

Paul

Wow, this was fun to watch! Thanks Bradburger.

The issue Questlove brings up about Motown being a factory of sorts, that the Funk Brothers could create such mammoth music in a workman-like mind set illustrates something that constantly chills me to the bone: that the Funk Brothers could create such mammoth music with a workman-like setting.

It wasn't about creating art, or making an artistic statement. It was jazz musicians trying to make a living to provide for their families. And still, when I hear something like Smokey Robinson & The Miracles' "Much Better Off", it sends shivers down my spine how incredible that music is.

The other day, I was playing the R. Dean Taylor Essential Collection CD and the song "Lady Bug stay Away From That Beatle" came on. An Absolutely Silly song. BUT- the music track kicked total "A". The way the Funk Brothers were essentially playing "When The Lovelight Starts Shining Through His Eyes" sideways and making it sound great; the way Benny Benjamin would flip the beat backwards and frontwards and every which way in between; the way the rhythm section in general was playing circles around this thing the way a cat bats around a helpless mouse- it's almost supernaturally frightening how good these men were.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    The issue Questlove brings up about Motown being a factory of sorts, that the Funk Brothers could create such mammoth music in a workman-like mind set illustrates something that constantly chills me to the bone: that the Funk Brothers could create such mammoth music with a workman-like setting.

It wasn't about creating art, or making an artistic statement. It was jazz musicians trying to make a living to provide for their families. And still, when I hear something like Smokey Robinson & The Miracles' "Much Better Off", it sends shivers down my spine how incredible that music is.

The other day, I was playing the R. Dean Taylor Essential Collection CD and the song "Lady Bug stay Away From That Beatle" came on. An Absolutely Silly song. BUT- the music track kicked total "A". The way the Funk Brothers were essentially playing "When The Lovelight Starts Shining Through His Eyes" sideways and making it sound great; the way Benny Benjamin would flip the beat backwards and frontwards and every which way in between; the way the rhythm section in general was playing circles around this thing the way a cat bats around a helpless mouse- it's almost supernaturally frightening how good these men were.
    That was a big part of the magic of Motown during the '60s. The Funk Bros. may have worked in a 'factory like setting' but, they were all great players who gelled as a unit. Also, they developed a sound that clicked so well they could make even novelty songs [[such as "Lady Bug Stay Away From That Beatle") listenable. And when you add the classic songs from Motown's songwriting/production staff along with the talent/star-power of the singers, you have Great Art.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    That was a big part of the magic of Motown during the '60s. The Funk Bros. may have worked in a 'factory like setting' but, they were all great players who gelled as a unit. Also, they developed a sound that clicked so well they could make even novelty songs [[such as "Lady Bug Stay Away From That Beatle") listenable. And when you add the classic songs from Motown's songwriting/production staff along with the talent/star-power of the singers, you have Great Art.
    So true, Motown Eddie! You said it well. And it never ceases to amaze me that indeed, something that arose from the desire to become a financial success ended up creating such Great Art.

As far as I knew, no one thought anybody would be listening to this music five years later. It was just one of several day jobs for a bunch of jazz and classical musicians. Suggesting that it was "art" would have gotten you laughed right out of the room.

I never saw a musician punch the time clock but everyone else did. The musicians got paid union scale plus a few key players got an additional $500 a week salary to not play for other labels.