[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    David Ruffin, as great as his talent and singing ability was, would sooner or later get on the last nerve of practically everybody he came into contact with and I assume eventually Mr Gordy decided that David just wasn't worth the headaches. With Ruffin, it was essentially risk/reward, and in virtually every case...the risk wasn't worth the reward in the end...

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    David Ruffin, as great as his talent and singing ability was, would sooner or later get on the last nerve of practically everybody he came into contact with and I assume eventually Mr Gordy decided that David just wasn't worth the headaches. With Ruffin, it was essentially risk/reward, and in virtually every case...the risk wasn't worth the reward in the end...
    I had a friend who was almost identical to David Ruffin in terms of looks, attitude and character. He's dead now, but I remember not wanting to even answer the door sometimes when he came around. Sad to say, but most people just tolerated him.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I had a friend who was almost identical to David Ruffin in terms of looks, attitude and character. He's dead now, but I remember not wanting to even answer the door sometimes when he came around. Sad to say, but most people just tolerated him.
    I've been wondering why people aren't answering the door when I come around, even though all the lights are on...

I can agree to this: David was a real handful...

Hey, stubass....that is an interesting statement...I wonder when Mr. Gordy decided Mr. Ruffin was not worth it....when he allowed him get to get into the temptations? And he became their problem???LOL!!

Quote Originally Posted by dvus7 View Post
    Hey, stubass....that is an interesting statement...I wonder when Mr. Gordy decided Mr. Ruffin was not worth it....when he allowed him get to get into the temptations? And he became their problem???LOL!!
    Thanks Dvus… Having been somewhat close enough to observe some of this...and even had a brief discussion about David with the great Paul Williams shortly before his death...I'm led to believe that it was the Temptations themselves that grew weary of David's antics when he was with the group and perhaps led by Otis [[as was probably one of the accurate perspectives in the Temptations movie based on Otis's book), that , I'm sure with Berry's blessing, decided to part ways with David who always seemed to have things in a state of disarray and disruption within the group structure... Once the group decided to 86 David in favor of Dennis, now Berry was sort of stuck with David, and because of Ruffins unique talent, I'm sure Berry was determined to exploit that talent and use it to his benefit for fun and profit. Davids solo career started out with promise, releasing a couple of nice charted tunes, yet David was not really all in on promoting his career and I'm not so sure with everything going on at Motown, David was Berrys primary concern. At that point, Davids behavior and likely his reliability as a trusted performer in Berrrys stable of talent began to wane, and likely became more of a headache than an asset to Berry who was in the midst of big plans for his company, including the impending move to Los Angeles, and fretting over Davids antics was likely something Berry, being the astute businessman he was, just wasn't going to waste his time or energy on with a lot bigger "fish to fry"... At that point, David just became his own biggest obstacle to success in his solo career and went full on David... He just was not as important to Motown since the Tempts were doing quite well under the direction of Norman Whitfield with Dennis doing the lead tenors and David made himself highly expendable...Not the center of attention he seemed to view himself as when he was the show stopper in his Temptation glory days...Realizing that likely contributed to Davids downfall...

Thanks Dvus… Having been somewhat close enough to observe some of this...and even had a brief discussion about David with the great Paul Williams shortly before his death...I'm led to believe that it was the Temptations themselves that grew weary of David's antics when he was with the group and perhaps led by Otis [[as was probably one of the accurate perspectives in the Temptations movie based on Otis's book), that , I'm sure with Berry's blessing, decided to part ways with David who always seemed to have things in a state of disarray and disruption within the group structure... Once the group decided to 86 David in favor of Dennis, now Berry was sort of stuck with David, and because of Ruffins unique talent, I'm sure Berry was determined to exploit that talent and use it to his benefit for fun and profit. Davids solo career started out with promise, releasing a couple of nice charted tunes, yet David was not really all in on promoting his career and I'm not so sure with everything going on at Motown, David was Berrys primary concern. At that point, Davids behavior and likely his reliability as a trusted performer in Berrrys stable of talent began to wane, and likely became more of a headache than an asset to Berry who was in the midst of big plans for his company, including the impending move to Los Angeles, and fretting over Davids antics was likely something Berry, being the astute businessman he was, just wasn't going to waste his time or energy on with a lot bigger "fish to fry"... At that point, David just became his own biggest obstacle to success in his solo career and went full on David... He just was not as important to Motown since the Tempts were doing quite well under the direction of Norman Whitfield with Dennis doing the lead tenors and David made himself highly expendable...Not the center of attention he seemed to view himself as when he was the show stopper in his Temptation glory days...Realizing that likely contributed to Davids downfall...
    Hey, stubass...thanks for the insite..I am pretty sure that, David, as a performer, was uncontrollable!! From my understanding, ruffin was suspended for not promoting "the moment you left me", per mr. Edwards. So i think u are point. Mr. Gordy stated that he released the song, "because he thought that is what he wanted"...THANKS, AGAIN!!

Did David ever express, publicly or otherwise, any remorse for quitting/being fired from the Temptations?

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    Did David ever express, publicly or otherwise, any remorse for quitting/being fired from the Temptations?
    Lol, I have no idea, but I'm gonna say no.

I've been wondering why people aren't answering the door when I come around, even though all the lights are on...
    hehehehehehehehe..........!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    According to Otis' book and the film...yes he did... Based on his personality, Its unlikely he expressed much remorse as he was somewhat one of those [[I wouldn't change a thing) kind of guys, but I have no doubt that he knows he F'd up bigtime... I last saw David at United Sound at a vocal session for one of his Don Davis produced post Motown solo efforts late 70's/early 80's. It was just David and a female backup singer there in the studio. David was friendly, but IMO...not all there. I've heard similar opinions from others I know who were hired on Ruffin projects in his final years and something was missing and his attitude was, lets just say...odd...

According to Otis' book and the film...yes he did... Based on his personality, Its unlikely he expressed much remorse as he was somewhat one of those [[I wouldn't change a thing) kind of guys, but I have no doubt that he knows he F'd up bigtime... I last saw David at United Sound at a vocal session for one of his Don Davis produced post Motown solo efforts late 70's/early 80's. It was just David and a female backup singer there in the studio. David was friendly, but IMO...not all there. I've heard similar opinions from others I know who were hired on Ruffin projects in his final years and something was missing and his attitude was, lets just say...odd...
    The last time I saw David Ruffin alive was New Year's Eve 1984-85 at the Premier Center, Madison Heights [[right outside Detroit). It was at Mary Wilson's and Eddie Kendricks gala New Year's Eve show. It was the night that David reunited with Eddie to begin performing together again. David came out of audience walking and singing right past us. Once on the stage, he and Eddie duet to "Your My Everything". The also performed the finale with Mary Wilson [[with Karen Jackson and Robin Alexander) to sing "Someday We'll Be Together" and "Auld Lang Syne". It was an incredible moment in music history.

The last time I saw David Ruffin alive was New Year's Eve 1984-85 at the Premier Center, Madison Heights [[right outside Detroit). It was at Mary Wilson's and Eddie Kendricks gala New Year's Eve show. It was the night that David reunited with Eddie to begin performing together again. David came out of audience walking and singing right past us. Once on the stage, he and Eddie duet to "Your My Everything". The also performed the finale with Mary Wilson [[with Karen Jackson and Robin Alexander) to sing "Someday We'll Be Together" and "Auld Lang Syne". It was an incredible moment in music history.
    Marv you mean Sterling Heights!!!! I bel it was billed a Supremes show and the ticket lady said there were no original Supremes performing lol! I quickly rectified that mistake. That was a great venue. I saw the Spinners perform a perfect show.

I would have to fight you about that. I say Levi Stubbs was the greatest male singer at Motown. David was the best male singer/performer.
    Spot-on, Marv! And both sang with such passion /conviction!! You can't fake that!! See: I Believe in You and Me [[Levi) and Common Man [[David)

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I'm sorry but Levi WISHES he could sing like David. Levi is indeed one of the greatest singers of all time, but David hits notes that you wouldn't expect. One of the few male vocalists who could actually sing high notes and HOLD IT [[case in point the "My Girl" performance with Eddie at D.C. in '72).

Just imagine if his solo career had taken off, he'd be seen as one of the GREATEST. In terms of greatest male Motown vocalists, he and Marvin would go toe to toe for me. Such a shame David never became a superstar. A doggone shame.
    Two words. I agree.

To me, David Ruffin & Levi Stubbs tie as great lead vocalist of groups.

edafan

Have to agree with you there edafan.

Maybe david said..ain't nobody comin to see you berry!!

David suffered from bipolar disorder. I'm convinced of it.

This guy thought he could turn sh*t into gold until he was kicked out of the Temptations but he came from a broken home where his father physically abused him and besides from having Jimmy as a close brother always felt like a loner.

Getting in the Temptations, he felt they were his family but like a family, the big brothers couldn't maintain their "younger brother's" antics.

When he finally was ousted, he told Cornelius Grant that they'll beg him to come back but they never did. David never wanted to be a solo artist and wanted to return to the Temptations. I think him getting kicked out led him to depression and increased his cocaine addiction to the point there was no coming back.

An ego can be a man's greatest asset or biggest downfall.