[REMOVE ADS]

“Supremes” of the 70s?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Love Unlimited were great. I really enjoy their Under The Influence album to this day. IMBWOBIMHIS really sounds like a Supremes song. [[Everything Is Good About You]However Glodean [[The Lead singer) really looks and sounds very similar to Wanda Young Rogers of The Marvelettes. I have a feeling this is what The Marvelettes would look and sound like had they continued into the 70's

Quote Originally Posted by Zantellor View Post
    Love Unlimited were great. I really enjoy their Under The Influence album to this day. IMBWOBIMHIS really sounds like a Supremes song. [[Everything Is Good About You]However Glodean [[The Lead singer) really looks and sounds very similar to Wanda Young Rogers of The Marvelettes. I have a feeling this is what The Marvelettes would look and sound like had they continued into the 70's
    Mike great 👍 Posting. Nice to see participating in the forum.

When I listen to Love Unlimited I hear Wanda and The Marvelettes to some extent.

Love their albums...I've been playing them quite regularly over the past year...I got their albums when they were released but didn't fully appreciate the In Heat album until about a year ago...

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    When I listen to Love Unlimited I hear Wanda and The Marvelettes to some extent.

Love their albums...I've been playing them quite regularly over the past year...I got their albums when they were released but didn't fully appreciate the In Heat album until about a year ago...
    I loved From a Girl's Point of View, Under the Influence and In Heat from the first time I played them. The one that took some time to grow on me was He's All I Got. I'm still not wowed by Love Is Back, but it has some nice cuts on it, and definitely is a decent album. They are one group who for me never cut a bad album.

You mean vocally and style-wise? YES. The Three Degrees were a little edgier than them so I agree with this. Just wished they had more chart success than they did...

Since we weren't hearing much from The Supremes in 1974 I thought maybe The Three Degrees would be the female trio to watch in the 70s. Their first PI album is superb, I was disappointed with the follow-up International, although I appreciate it now.

I also thought the young Sister Sledge in 1973 would fill the void in The Supremes absence. I absolutely love their first album Circle of Love with Love Don't Go Through No Changes, and of course the non-album previous single Mama Never Told Me. Their later disco music is enjoyable to a point.

I loved the first two Love Unlimited albums, which is what I recall of them from the 70s. I bought In Heat when released but I didn't care for it, for some reason. I love it now as well as later songs from a Hits CD. I wonder why their albums haven't been released on CD, except for Girl's Point of View. I finally burned my vinyl onto CD-R last year.

My favorite female group from the 70s is First Choice. I was hoping they would be more popular than they were. I love their first three albums. I am not as familiar with their later albums except for the big disco hits of Doctor Love and Hold Your Horses and a couple of others from Hits CDs.

Thankfully, The Supremes bounced back to compete fairly successfully with High Energy and Mary, Scherrie & Susaye, and to a lesser extent the He's My Man album.

I think the only full album I have by First Choice is So Let Us Entertain You, which I found to be a great album. I have a compilation and then I think I have most of their other songs on various mix cds. They were a very underrated group. I love the lead singer's voice.

Love love love Dont go thru no changes on me! Yes LU had definite shades of Marvelettes. Would’ve been great to see them go in that direction. I see Glodean as a Wanda/Diana combo...just look at her eyes!