[REMOVE ADS]

A Change Is Gonna Come and Bring It On Home To Me.

Hi all...i've often wondered if there exists full versions of these album tracks as they both have a verse missing from the original Sam Cooke versions...I know theres a few other times verses were omitted from Supremes cover versions but they escape me at the time of writing this.

That's an interesting thought.

I don't recall BRING IT... missing a verse, but I know A CHANGE IS GONNA COME is missing the verse about "I go to the movies..." I assume the girls were just copying Sam's single version, which edited out that verse as well. When Aretha covered it in 1967, she also left out that verse.

Sups/Temps version of The Weight is missing a verse.

I do not have any specific knowledge, but this causes me to remember that the amount of time on albums of that era from Motown was very limited. Sometimes an album only had eleven tracks even. Maybe they left out a verse on purpose to reach the time constraints for certain tracks. Just a thought!

No verses were deleted on these two tracks. "Bring It On Home" has a lot more after the fade and there are alternate vocal takes on just about every track. No additional Mary or Florence leads found... Would love to expand this one... someday!

Quote Originally Posted by George Solomon View Post
    No verses were deleted on these two tracks. "Bring It On Home" has a lot more after the fade and there are alternate vocal takes on just about every track. No additional Mary or Florence leads found... Would love to expand this one... someday!
    George are there any uncompleted tracks for the Sam Cooke project? backing tracks recorded but not completed?

with CW&P what is the recording timeline for this? people talk about the 63 sessions with Clarence. but then the tracks were dusted off in 64/65 for the album and additional recordings completed

Would love an alternate take of "Good News". Sometimes the released versions we get aren't always the superior vocal take, so it would send me over the moon to hear a "Good News" alternate with a vocal I love even more than the released one. I was glad to get the extended fade version. Would also love alternates for "Wonderful World" because I so love Diana's lead on the released version and would like to hear what differences exist on an alternate. Crossing my fingers for that expanded edition!

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    George are there any uncompleted tracks for the Sam Cooke project? backing tracks recorded but not completed?

with CW&P what is the recording timeline for this? people talk about the 63 sessions with Clarence. but then the tracks were dusted off in 64/65 for the album and additional recordings completed
    Sup fan, according to DFTMC [[the last time I checked), the first sessions for CWP were in February 1963 [[You Didn't Care, Banjo Band, Makes No Difference Now, Lazy Bones, Funny, Tears In Vain). Of course I guess the very first session would be "My Heart Can't Take It No More" in December 1962. Then in November 1964 "You Need Me" and "Sunset" was recorded, along with re-records of "Makes No Difference Now", "Lazy Bones", "Funny" and "You Didn't Care". Then in December 1964 they recorded "Tumbling Tumbleweeds" and a re-record of "Banjo Band".

[QUOTE=sup_fan;484849]George are there any uncompleted tracks for the Sam Cooke project? backing tracks recorded but not completed?

There is a track for "Soothe Me" but no vocals found. Wouldn't it be nice if that had been a Mary lead?

[QUOTE=George Solomon;485272]
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post

There is a track for "Soothe Me" but no vocals found. Wouldn't it be nice if that had been a Mary lead?
    Interesting. I think "Soothe Me" is one that might fit any of the three ladies. I can definitely hear Mary singing it.

[QUOTE=RanRan79;485279]

Interesting. I think "Soothe Me" is one that might fit any of the three ladies. I can definitely hear Mary singing it.
    That is one of my favorite Sam Cooke songs. On his version, another vocalist [[perhaps Lou Rawls) is doing harmony on the chorus. Perhaps if the girls recorded it they would have done the same, or gone for three-part harmony as they did for BRING IT ON HOME TO ME.

very cool!! it is a little unusual that the lp only had 11 tracks. and at this time they were usually offering up at least 1 partial lead to M and F. so for Flo to have something on the album but nothing for Mary is a little unusual.

i also figured Sentimental Reasons was planned but not completed