[REMOVE ADS]

The Unofficial All-Purpose "Baby Love" Discussion Thread

The sequel to my "Stop! in the Name of Love" thread but catchier, overplayed, and just as iconic as Stop.

If Diana Ross wanted to EVER show pictures of her Supremes days to her grandchildren in a photo album made for them, she'd better have a "Baby Love"photo because they were climbing in popularity for no 1 hits, and people think of Supremes with either Stop or Baby Love. Heck, even Florence made a joke about the song when she was asked how old she was in one performance.

Baby Love is mistaken as a parent-baby bond song, when it's just another heartbreak song with a similar message to Stop, but not as intense.

Best part? No Andantes overdubbing! It's been confirmed that's it's just Mary and Flo on background!

Let's listen to the 45, just for the sake of it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3j5_TDhYkc

Diana's "oooooh oooh ooh" perhaps is the most iconic Supremes opening, if not Motown opening.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Diana's "oooooh oooh ooh" perhaps is the most iconic Supremes opening, if not Motown opening.
    It is a nice touch that is missing from the original version. Listening to that one, I can see why it was reworked.

I might agree but recognize that both "You Can't Hurry Love" and "Keep Me Hangin On" might have something to say about that, where Supremes openings are concerned. Where Motown openings are concerned I think "My Girl" and Marvin's "Grapevine" would also be in the running.

On second thought, with your use of the word "iconic", I'll have to agree that is the most iconic Supremes opener. But I think both the intro to "My Girl" and "Grapevine" are still in the running for Motown as a whole.

"Baby Love" is one of those overplayed, overused songs that doesn't really appeal to me. If it's on I'll listen to it, but it's never a Supremes song that I make it a point to play. And honestly the chorus is so corny to me. "Baby Love" is certainly an example I can understand of people who say they can't dig the Supremes. The song helped them continue their rocket into super stardom but to me there isn't much of anything particularly special about it, although the Funks are illustrating their brilliance. I really think the Funk Bros are the star of the "Baby Love" show.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    "Baby Love" is one of those overplayed, overused songs that doesn't really appeal to me. If it's on I'll listen to it, but it's never a Supremes song that I make it a point to play. And honestly the chorus is so corny to me. "Baby Love" is certainly an example I can understand of people who say they can't dig the Supremes. The song helped them continue their rocket into super stardom but to me there isn't much of anything particularly special about it, although the Funks are illustrating their brilliance. I really think the Funk Bros are the star of the "Baby Love" show.
    I didn't ever really appreciate the insubstantial "Where Did Our Love Go", but I never tire of the meatier "Baby Love".

On second thought, with your use of the word "iconic", I'll have to agree that is the most iconic Supremes opener. But I think both the intro to "My Girl" and "Grapevine" are still in the running for Motown as a whole.
    For iconic Motown introductions, you'd have to go a long way to beat Martha & the Vandellas' "Heat Wave".

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I didn't ever really appreciate the insubstantial "Where Did Our Love Go", but I never tire of the meatier "Baby Love".
    I'm the opposite. I do agree "Baby Love" has a "meatier" sound, but to me the simplicity of "Where" is what makes it so brilliant. Everything about it is simple: the track, the lyrics, the lead, the backing vocals. And yet they somehow come together to create this simple masterpiece. "Where" might be overplayed too but I never tire of it. And while I can see "Baby Love" as an example of what people dislike about the Supremes, I can also see why people love it so much. I'm just not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    For iconic Motown introductions, you'd have to go a long way to beat Martha & the Vandellas' "Heat Wave".
    "Dancing In the Street" would also have to be in that conversation.

I'm the opposite. I do agree "Baby Love" has a "meatier" sound, but to me the simplicity of "Where" is what makes it so brilliant. Everything about it is simple: the track, the lyrics, the lead, the backing vocals. And yet they somehow come together to create this simple masterpiece. "Where" might be overplayed too but I never tire of it. And while I can see "Baby Love" as an example of what people dislike about the Supremes, I can also see why people love it so much. I'm just not one of them.
    I accept it's my loss. I just have a blind spot for "Where Did Our Love Go" and - dare I say it - Mary Wells' "My Guy".

Maybe you should start a new thread for that, though it's probably been done before.

So good they utilised it again on Stevie's "Love a Go Go".

Back when baby boomers were more influential, I agree, I got tired of hearing Baby Love, My Girl, I Can't Help Myself and Marvin's Grapevine. Now I like hearing them again.

Now I can again appreciate how perfect a pop record Baby Love is. Toe-tapping and hummable to the nth-degree.The musicianship and Diana's singing are wonderful. The record swings. Diana's oohs make the record memorable. It's the best or most effective sung or vocal introduction [[as opposed to the instrumental ones). I don't know who gets credit for thinking of adding that or reworking Baby Love from the original version, but the final record is a pop classic.

I don't think Where Did Our Love Go is insubstantial at all. You are right, the sum of all its simplistic parts add up to a true Motown masterpiece. I prefer Where Did Our Love Go to Baby Love but all of the Supremes/HDH run of five classic #1s is phenomenal.

That's about how I feel about it now.

However that opening - OOOH...…...was one of the phrases that opened the world up to Motown.

I might agree but recognize that both "You Can't Hurry Love" and "Keep Me Hangin On" might have something to say about that, where Supremes openings are concerned. Where Motown openings are concerned I think "My Girl" and Marvin's "Grapevine" would also be in the running.
    The best Motown intro is from Marvin's "Grapevine" by far but I love Diana's "oooo-ooooh" intro for "Baby Love".

I'd say that The Tempts' "My Girl" is the most iconic Motown intro, although it's pretty darn close with all the other songs that have been mentioned, including and especially "Baby Love".

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    So good they utilised it again on Stevie's "Love a Go Go".
    Sure did. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    The best Motown intro is from Marvin's "Grapevine" by far but I love Diana's "oooo-ooooh" intro for "Baby Love".
    I'm not a fan of Marvin's "Grapevine". Again, another overplayed/overused song. But I do love that intro. But I don't love it as much as the intro to "Heat Wave".

Another great Motown intro is the Marvelettes' "I'm Gonna Hold On As Long As I Can", the full intro. The Funks killed that. They could've turned that into an entire song for my taste.