[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 27 of 27
  1. #1

    Music Modernization Act Signed Into Law

    The law has many components, but for classic music fans one component of the bill, the Classics Act, will finally make sure that artists with pre-1972 records will receive master recording performance royalties.

    "The Music Modernization Act is now the law of the land, and thousands of songwriters and artists are better for it," RIAA president Mitch Glazier said. "The result is a music market better founded on fair competition and fair pay. The enactment of this law demonstrates what music creators and digital services can do when we work together collaboratively to advance a mutually beneficial agenda. It's a great day for music. We hope fans across the country will join with us in celebration and PLAY IT LOUD."

    https://www.billboard.com/articles/b...w-bill-signing
    Last edited by milven; 10-11-2018 at 01:46 PM.

  2. #2
    Congratulations to Mary Wilson and all of the Classic artists that worked hard to get this law passed!

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Congratulations to Mary Wilson and all of the Classic artists that worked hard to get this law passed!
    What a shame Billboard didnt mention Mary by name. That wasnt right.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Congratulations to Mary Wilson and all of the Classic artists that worked hard to get this law passed!
    Hey Marv, you know if there willl Be retroactive monetary adjustments for the artists? Hope all is well.

  5. #5
    Great work Mary and the others on the team! Wonderful!!

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Hey Marv, you know if there willl Be retroactive monetary adjustments for the artists? Hope all is well.
    I don't know, but I would hope they could do something like that. The problem would be how to calculate retroactive payments to the artists.

  7. #7
    Did Mary Wilson work hard at getting this act accomplished? If so , it's too bad she wasn't present at the bill's signing at last. I hope it wasn't because of political cowardice.

    Soul Man Sam Moore (Sam and Dave) was there and he gratefully thanked Trump directly for getting done in two years what Obama couldn't in eight, nor Bush before him. His words.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 10-13-2018 at 02:13 AM.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Did Mary Wilson work hard at getting this act accomplished? If so , it's too bad she wasn't present at the bill's signing at last. I hope it wasn't because of political cowardice.

    Soul Man Sam Moore (Sam and Dave) was there and he gratefully thanked Trump directly for getting done in two years what Obama couldn't in eight, nor Bush before him. His words.
    There is a whole lot I could say to that, but I just can't! I'm just happy the finally got what they wanted.

  9. #9
    I don’t understand political cowardice comment.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Did Mary Wilson work hard at getting this act accomplished? If so , it's too bad she wasn't present at the bill's signing at last. I hope it wasn't because of political cowardice.

    Soul Man Sam Moore (Sam and Dave) was there and he gratefully thanked Trump directly for getting done in two years what Obama couldn't in eight, nor Bush before him. His words.
    Yes, Mary made several trips to Washington D.C. over the course of this year meeting with members of Congress about this. She was very active with this bill.

  11. #11
    Wasn't Dionne Warwick part of the push for this? I also recalled Martha Reeves and Patti LaBelle also being vocal proponents of the CLASSICS bill.

    Either way, I'm happy it got passed too. Now maybe these legends can rest comfortably and not work all the time just to make ends meet. They're legends and deserve to get rightfully paid their monies.

    Also I'm sure Mary was probably busy doing something else and didn't have time to be there to see the bill get signed into law.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Yes,
    Mary made several trips to Washington D.C. over the course of this year meeting with members of Of Congress about this. She was very active with this bill.

    She flew several times to D.C. just to pitch this bill? Must've meant a lot to her.

    Then Mary misses out witnessing her hard fought victory by not participating in the bill's final signing at a public presentation at the White House???
    Bummer.

  13. #13
    Nah we're not gonna shame Mary for not going. We're not doing this today...


  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    She flew several times to D.C. just to pitch this bill? Must've meant a lot to her.

    Then Mary misses out witnessing her hard fought victory by not participating in the bill's final signing at a public presentation at the White House???
    Bummer.
    She may not have been invited. Or maybe she wanted the bill to be signed, but didn't want to be around Trump (I sure as hell wouldn't want to be around him). Or maybe she had prior commitments. Whatever the reasons, as Midnightman said above, she shouldn't be shamed.

    Maybe you should question why people like Smokey, Darlene Love, Dionne Warwick, and others weren't there too.

  15. #15
    You know, a few years ago, it would have been such an honor to receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom; or be the winning Super Bowl Team and be invited to the White House;
    or be present at a Presidential Bill Signing.

    But today, not so much.

    So maybe we can be forgiving just this once for Mary not being present for the signing of a bill for which she crusaded.

  16. #16
    It was once an honor to be President of the United States of America. That position has greatly diminished in the last nearly two years. There's a great many reasons why Mary may not have been present, but I for one hope it is because she refuses to validate the trash that has infiltrated the oval office. Where Mary Wilson is concerned, there's nothing to be forgiven. The trash who signed the bill on the other hand...

  17. #17
    Mary HAS worked hard for this bill - as have many others. Who did more, I have no idea. I’ll ask her if she was invited to attend the signing - it’s posdible that her vocal support for Hillary quashed that - you all know what a vindictive brat Trump is.
    There is is probably no other living American recording artist who stands to gain more than Mary by this signing. Thousands will benefit from this and I applaud all who worked on it and I admire Mary for getting these bills passed that benefit her directly because they are just. I do wish there was a way to sue for accountability from Motown for the millions that were pilfered from all of the acts, but mostly, ThevSupremes who I believe were robbed the worst. If only Flo or Queen Mary had the sense to demand an accounting when they left - it would be way better for all Supremes today.

    I dont know if it if it goes retro, but the logs are there as this was pending for years, so I don’t think it would be too great of a task.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    Mary HAS worked hard for this bill - as have many others. Who did more, I have no idea. Iíll ask her if she was invited to attend the signing - itís posdible that her vocal support for Hillary quashed that - you all know what a vindictive brat Trump is.
    There is is probably no other living American recording artist who stands to gain more than Mary by this signing
    All the more reason I would've loved to have seen her there, both to experience the final fruition of her efforts, and to have a chance to voice her appreciation to all that made it happen. And that would include The President . The bill sailed through both republican houses and Trump seemed genuinely pleased that this Act had arrived on his desk and he could put its objectives into action. It was a bipartisan effort , so it'd be nice if the hyper political climate could be put aside for a change.

    I'd be very disappointed to learn that Trump nixed Mary's opportunity to relish in this moment of this long fought for victory years in the making, but I think I'd prefer that than to learn she denied it of herself.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    All the more reason I would've loved to have seen her there, both to experience the final fruition of her efforts, and to have a chance to voice her appreciation to all that made it happen. And that would include The President . The bill sailed through both republican houses and Trump seemed genuinely pleased that this Act had arrived on his desk and he could put its objectives into action. It was a bipartisan effort , so it'd be nice if the hyper political climate could be put aside for a change.

    I'd be very disappointed to learn that Trump nixed Mary's opportunity to relish in this moment of this long fought for victory years in the making, but I think I'd prefer that than to learn she denied it of herself.
    Mary knows Donald Trump.

    Name:  Mary Wilson , Muhammad Ali and donald trump.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  82.1 KB

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Mary knows Donald Trump.

    Name:  Mary Wilson , Muhammad Ali and donald trump.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  82.1 KB
    Well we wont hold that against her.

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    All the more reason I would've loved to have seen her there, both to experience the final fruition of her efforts, and to have a chance to voice her appreciation to all that made it happen. And that would include The President . The bill sailed through both republican houses and Trump seemed genuinely pleased that this Act had arrived on his desk and he could put its objectives into action. It was a bipartisan effort , so it'd be nice if the hyper political climate could be put aside for a change.

    I'd be very disappointed to learn that Trump nixed Mary's opportunity to relish in this moment of this long fought for victory years in the making, but I think I'd prefer that than to learn she denied it of herself.
    The only one that can change the political climate is the Dictator loving President Pus*y Grabber. Hes a sexist and racist and homophobic pathologicall liar.

  22. #22
    Are some of y'all gonna turn on Mary because she didn't show up for the signing?



    My brain hurts lol

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post

    My brain hurts lol
    If you really want your head to hurt (without the lol) try to imagine how much revenue has been lost our favorite classics artists by Obama not pushing to get this thru eight years ago. Smokey , Darlene , Dionne, Cindy and the rest. Mary.
    Not to mention those that never got to see a dime from this bill as they have passed during the long delay. Folks that might've really benefited.
    Dennis Edwards comes to mind.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; Yesterday at 02:03 PM.

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    If you really want your head to hurt (without the lol) try to imagine how much revenue has been lost our favorite classics artists by Obama not pushing to get this thru eight years ago. Smokey , Darlene , Dionne, Cindy and the rest. Mary.
    Not to mention those that never got to see a dime from this bill as they have passed during the long delay. Folks that might've really benefited.
    Dennis Edwards comes to mind.
    Oh there were many millions of dollars lost. This bill not only covers streaming of music, but also radio airplay. Can imagine how many time, places these artists music has been played for free over the radio stations everywhere? Good grief!

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Are some of y'all gonna turn on Mary because she didn't show up for the signing?



    My brain hurts lol
    Kid Rock was there. What's the problem? Diane didn't show up as usual. She gets money from this.
    Last edited by marv2; Yesterday at 06:23 PM.

  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Kid Rock was there. What's there problem? Diane didn't show up as usually. She gets money from this.
    Bad bad selfish mean Diane. How dare she miss a meeting with President Pus*y Grabber.

  27. #27
    Look, bottom line, if Mary Wilson wanted to be there, she would've. She didn't and any speculation as to why should be left at that.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.