[REMOVE ADS]

Nile Rodger and Chic's "Queen" and Diana Ross

The new Chic album includes the song Queen, of which Nile Rodgers often has said it was initially meant for Diana Ross. I always assumed it was a left-over from the "diana" album, but apparently he wrote it for her in 1983. He is quoted in [[of all sources) The Sun, saying: "The song was inspired by her but she said, ‘I can’t sing it. If I sing a song called Queen, they’re really going to think I’m a diva’. I said, ‘The song is not about you, it’s because of you.' "
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbi...hic-new-album/
    Apparently, he also tried to have Ross sing it on the new Chic album [[even had Evan Ross help him to convince her), but ended up recording the song with Elton John and Emeli Sandé. Now I wonder what, if Ross had recorded it in 1983, which album it would have been on. The 1983 "Ross" album would probably the best fit [[although quite different than "Girls," it shares a similar theme); I don't think it really fits Swept Away, but would have been nice, as the album also includes a Bernard Edwards song.

I do like the song [[it kind of reminds me of Prince's "Free" from the 1999 album) and it would have been interesting to see what Ross would have done with it.

As much as I would have loved a new recording from Ms Ross, I'm glad she didn't participate in lending her vocals to this track off of Chic's new album, as Elton's vocals are so processed and buried in the mix, you can barely tell he's singing on it.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    As much as I would have loved a new recording from Ms Ross, I'm glad she didn't participate in lending her vocals to this track off of Chic's new album, as Elton's vocals are so processed and buried in the mix, you can barely tell he's singing on it.
    Let alone Emeli Sandé [[who is a great singer). I wonder if Ross would have been buried in the mix as much, though. But then, we'll never know!

Another missed opportunity..Nile Rogers is hot at the moment and practically begging Diana to record one of his songs and she would rather go on stage banging out the same old set she has been doing for donkeys years and then folks wonder why she has been left behind...Diana is a megastar but she could still be at the top of the heap had she not made so many stupid decisions..she will turn down Nile yet re-record one of her own hits with a cheesy Irish boyband [[yeah i know it was a hit but cheesy all the same)..ive been a mega fan from the age of twelve but i do have to hang my head in shame sometimes at such stupidity.

It's funny because years ago he ranted how Diana messed up her biggest-selling album, now he's begging Miss Ross for guest appearances. I'm not even gonna hit play if it's got autotune in it. I blame Cher and T-Pain for this. Nice album cover though! Definitely a reenactment of CHIC's 1977 debut cover [[minus the whistles):

Yeah, I can't get into "Queen"... I like all three people on it but it's not happening for me. It's probably my least favourite song on the LP. There are still some tunes on the album though midnight. Autotune isn't that present on most of the cuts as far as I remember.

Here is a great track, no collaborations just Chic on this one!

Quote Originally Posted by mowsville View Post
    Another missed opportunity..Nile Rogers is hot at the moment and practically begging Diana to record one of his songs and she would rather go on stage banging out the same old set she has been doing for donkeys years and then folks wonder why she has been left behind...Diana is a megastar but she could still be at the top of the heap had she not made so many stupid decisions..she will turn down Nile yet re-record one of her own hits with a cheesy Irish boyband [[yeah i know it was a hit but cheesy all the same)..ive been a mega fan from the age of twelve but i do have to hang my head in shame sometimes at such stupidity.
    Nile did his level best to persuade Diana to sing on the new album, but she was having none of it. He wined and dined her, got Evan involved but to no avail. She is none too keen on doing all the overseas promotional work anymore.
    However there is more than a reasonable chance that we may hear the lady singing on a brand new recording in the not too distant future. Keep those fingers crossed and just hope for the best..............

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Nile did his level best to persuade Diana to sing on the new album, but she was having none of it. He wined and dined her, got Evan involved but to no avail. She is none too keen on doing all the overseas promotional work anymore.
    However there is more than a reasonable chance that we may hear the lady singing on a brand new recording in the not too distant future. Keep those fingers crossed and just hope for the best..............
    And with air travel being what it is today, who can fault Diana? But I too would love new material and will keep my fingers crossed!

I doubt Diana wanted to be buried in the mix and she couldn’t “fix it”.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    ***crossing fingers and chanting "Please don't let it be an Evan and Ashlee song...Please don't let it be an Evan and Ashlee song..."***

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    ***crossing fingers and chanting "Please don't let it be an Evan and Ashlee song...Please don't let it be an Evan and Ashlee song..."***
    Yes, i am with you all the way on that one RanRan79!

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    amen to that!

and Ross was right to stay far away from QUEEN. Rodger's really digging deep to dredge up that one. imo.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Yeah, I can't get into "Queen"... I like all three people on it but it's not happening for me. It's probably my least favourite song on the LP. There are still some tunes on the album though midnight. Autotune isn't that present on most of the cuts as far as I remember.

Here is a great track, no collaborations just Chic on this one!

not bad . wish it'd been on Chic's debut lp , replacing one of the stinkers.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    It's funny because years ago he ranted how Diana messed up her biggest-selling album, now he's begging Miss Ross for guest appearances. I'm not even gonna hit play if it's got autotune in it. I blame Cher and T-Pain for this. Nice album cover though! Definitely a reenactment of CHIC's 1977 debut cover [[minus the whistles):

Hey midnight just looking at the new cover, one of the girls does actually have a whistle, so it's even closer to Chic's debut than we thought

Name:  A2667806-0CA3-46EF-AC7A-36EF562C889C.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  11.5 KB
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 10-13-2018 at 08:40 AM.

Song sounds like something Tom Bell and Linda Creed would have written on a bad day.

I have found out that Nile & Chic will release a follow-up album to It's About Time in May of 2019, entitled Executive Realness!!

https://nowtoronto.com/music/feature...ers-interview/

Maybe Diana can make a guest appearance on that album instead...

Chaka Khan & Debbie Harry were also supposed to be singing on the album but when it was cut from a double to single they disappeared or were held over for the next one.

For me 'Queen' was the worst track on It's About Time. Very dreary.

I just wish Nile hadn't had so many guest-vocalists on the album. The current crew of Kimberley & Folami wouldn't need auto-tuning as they harmonise together so well and Kim has a great set of lungs.