[REMOVE ADS]

Jazz Corner: Mary Wilson Makes Her Cafe Carlyle Debut!

Here are the details to Mary's upcoming concerts at Cafe Carlyle:

http://www.jazzcorner.com/news/display.php?news=8877

Sure wish this was in th UK. Mary is as good as any of the greats when singing jazz.
    I wonder if she realises this?.

Sometimes I don’t think Mary realizes how good she is, especially with this kind of show.

Sounds like a fabulous show. I wish they'd film it and offer the DVD. I'd be first in line!
    I wish Mary much success with this show.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Sometimes I don’t think Mary realizes how good she is
    I think that's been the case for decades. I've heard her underrate her own talent during interviews.

I read an interview where someone called her the talented Supreme and she said the original two - who we shall not name lol - were better than her.

When Mary sings, "I Remember You" I am in Heaven listening to the sweetest sound Heaven makes!

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I read an interview where someone called her the talented Supreme and she said the original two - who we shall not name lol - were better than her.
    Mary is quite unaware of her amazing talents. She even said in her book that Flo was the best singer, then Diana and then her. She even said that she is looked at as the background singer, Diana the superstar and Flo who passed overlooked. Even in an interview she said to the 70's Supremes thanking them for lending their talents to the group and that they were all talented, much more so than I. Mary does not know what a wonderful singer she is. Her talents are amazing and she has great stage presence and really puts her love into her craft.

For the information of all interested parties. This is NOT Mary's [debut] performance at the venue. She has appeared there previously as I saw her there but do not recall what year it was. So if you can go see her again --- she has improved with age.....

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    For the information of all interested parties. This is NOT Mary's [debut] performance at the venue. She has appeared there previously as I saw her there but do not recall what year it was. So if you can go see her again --- she has improved with age.....
    You may be thinking of Feinstein's at the Regency Woodward. Mary hasnt played Cafe Carlyle before.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    You may be thinking of Feinstein's at the Regency Woodward. Mary hasnt played Cafe Carlyle before.
    I think you are right Roberta. I don't think she has ever been at the Carlyle, but she has been at Feinsteins a couple of times. The last time was about ten years ago. That is fact

My statement of her never being at the Carlyle is just an opinion of what I think is true. I am not omnipotent here and so I try to be careful with what I post as fact or opinion and label it as such.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    I think you are right Roberta. I don't think she has ever been at the Carlyle, but she has been at Feinsteins a couple of times. The last time was about ten years ago. That is fact

My statement of her never being at the Carlyle is just an opinion of what I think is true. I am not omnipotent here and so I try to be careful with what I post as fact or opinion and label it as such.
    I always find your posts honest and informative and real civil dear.

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    Mary is quite unaware of her amazing talents. She even said in her book that Flo was the best singer, then Diana and then her. She even said that she is looked at as the background singer, Diana the superstar and Flo who passed overlooked. Even in an interview she said to the 70's Supremes thanking them for lending their talents to the group and that they were all talented, much more so than I. Mary does not know what a wonderful singer she is. Her talents are amazing and she has great stage presence and really puts her love into her craft.

‘’Mary is quite aware of her talent these days and has overcome any confidence issues she had. She is not however, conceited or full of herself at all - she is simply knows her craft, applies it deftly and reaps the rewards from appreciative audiences.

Mary's definitely humble. You'd think people here would dig it but they always misinterpret what she says. She ain't marginalizing her talent but she surely will correct you if you call her the most ____ at anything lol

Well, I felt when she said that both Flo and Diana were more talented than she is and that the ladies from the 1970's were "much more talented than I am" it is being humble but still shows , at least to me, that she is not recognizing herself as much as she should. I don't think she has to show ego but should honor herself with more love.

Mary also said, “I’m the best kept secret in show business” because she knows how talented she is. She always knew - even as a Primette, I suspect as her vocals were never timid.

I hope I don’t have to go alone Woodward or to Blavat Philly show!🤕

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Mary's definitely humble. You'd think people here would dig it but they always misinterpret what she says. She ain't marginalizing her talent but she surely will correct you if you call her the most ____ at anything lol
    I haven't misinterpreted anything unless Mary comes into SD and tells me otherwise. There aren't too many folks in this forum that are complete idiots, but I'll speak for myself knowing I'm surely no one's complete idiot [[) and say I know humble when I hear it. Lots of singers of Mary's generation are humble and yet at the same time they don't down play their skills. Mary isn't just humble, she downplays her vocal abilities, as Jim points out in his earlier post examples. While I enjoy Diana and Florence's lead vocals much more than Mary's, to my ears they honestly weren't any "better" [[not that there is such a thing when talking about talented people...all three had natural singing abilities) than she was. I think Mary's vocal on "Come and Get These Memories" is almost horrible, but that's not so much because her actual singing is bad but that was a horrible marriage of material. Mary's voice wasn't suited to that song at all. Both Flo and Diana would've been a better fit, IMO. But some of Mary's other 60s leads showcase a voice that surely couldn't have been considered sub par in comparison to the other two. Different, but not sub par. Even in the 70s, sure Mary's singing partners were all amazing in their own right, but so was she. Her vocal on "A Heart Like Mine" moves me more than some of Scherrie's leads, and moves me more than all of Susaye's leads. Like most singers there might be a misstep here and there, and certainly I wouldn't classify Mary's voice as the kind that could handle everything [[hence "Come and Get These Memories"), she definitely had a niche, but the woman can sang, then and now [[voice IMO has even improved with age, and that's unusual from what I can hear of the professionals of her generation). I'd agree that she's humble, but I don't believe those of us who have a certain opinion are misinterpreting when she downplays her skills.

Oh OK, I get what you're saying now, Ran.

Here is one of the songs that Mary will no doubt perform...."Don't Know Why"

As well as this one....................

^ Very nice! Those near New York should go see her at Café Carlyle if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Here is one of the songs that Mary will no doubt perform...."Don't Know Why"

Will you be attending

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    will you be attending
    lolololololololololol

On hearing Mary singing "Imagine" recently, i was blown away by her incredibly sensitive rendtion.
    Imagine what might and could have been if upon leaving motown Mary had managed to be signed up by a label such as Blue Note. She could have have mixed standards with jazz tunes and perhaps as a nod to her past included a slowed down version of an old Supremes song such as "My World Is Empty Without You".
    In Fact the album itself couild have been titled.. Ms Mary Wilson... My World Is Empty.
    That is my own solo Supreme dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    On hearing Mary singing "Imagine" recently, i was blown away by her incredibly sensitive rendtion.
    Imagine what might and could have been if upon leaving motown Mary had managed to be signed up by a label such as Blue Note. She could have have mixed standards with jazz tunes and perhaps as a nod to her past included a slowed down version of an old Supremes song such as "My World Is Empty Without You".
    In Fact the album itself couild have been titled.. Ms Mary Wilson... My World Is Empty.
    That is my own solo Supreme dream.
    You ever hear her do Joni Mitchell's "Both Sides Now"?

How about Jacques Brel's "Ne Me Quitte Pas" translated by Rod Mckuen to [[If You Go Away):

Marv, from your posts in this thread, and being a Long Islander, I assume you are looking forward to attend this event.

Looking forward to you, her number one supporter, sharing your first hand review of her performance. This is a wonderful venue.

For others interested in attending, there are four shows, and tickets are available

https://www.ticketweb.com/venue/cafe...york-ny/284974
    Last edited by milven; 11-12-2018 at 01:15 PM. Reason: typed revue instead of review