[REMOVE ADS]

Four Tops- Standing In The Shadows Of Love

The final verse has Levi saying "GAVE MY HEART AND SOUL TO YOU NOW DIDN'T I, AND DIDN'T I ALWAYS TREAT YOU GOOD NOW DIDN'T I" but the background says NEVER ONCE DID I EVER MAKE YOU CRY NOW DIDN'T I. Levi probably should've said that since the first verse already had "DIDN'T I TREAT YOU RIGHT NOW BABY DIDN'T I, DIDN'T I DO THE BEST I COULD NOW DIDN'T I"

Interesting observation. Strangely, I can hear that in my head too, but the original line works better in my opinion. Maybe it's due to familiarity, but I wouldn't change anything if I had a choice. Lamont & Eddie had their reasons for their creative decisions,but I appreciate your making room for improving a classic. It wouldn't make Staunton & Walker feel any better 'cause "Didn't I" is still repeated throughout the song[[smile).

Quote Originally Posted by Fourtopsbiggestfan View Post
    NEVER ONCE DID I EVER MAKE YOU CRY NOW DIDN'T I
    Maybe they decided it was best to not emphasize that double negative, keeping its presence limited to the background?
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 10-05-2018 at 01:00 AM.

Things at Motown moved so fast, more than likely, there was a last minute change in that lyric, but after the background had already been recorded. Instead of having everyone come back to re-sing the new lyric, it was simply felt that nobody would really notice; all the attention would be focused on Levi as the lead.

Levi is going to sing the lyric he is handed. He may not have even heard the backgrounds when he was recording; often leads and backgrounds were done at different time.

The Marvin Gaye/Kim Weston version of "I'll Be Satisfied" has them singing one lyric while the backgrounds are singing what I'm assuming was the original lyric, the lyric David Ruffin sang to the exact same backing track and background vocals [[even though it's listed as The Temptations.)

Another example is Brenda Holloway's "I've Got To Find It." I never noticed it until I heard the stereo version; there are sections where the Andantes part is muted. From what I can tell, in those sections, they are singing a lyric completely different to what Brenda is singing. Again, I'm sure those background were recorded first, then by the time Brenda's lead was recorded, there was a change made in the lyric.

Love your thoughts and takes. Thank you for clearing things up. Definitely makes sense. Kind of do wish Levi said NEVER ONCE HAVE I EVER MADE YOU CRY, love that line.

The final verse has Levi saying "GAVE MY HEART AND SOUL TO YOU NOW DIDN'T I, AND DIDN'T I ALWAYS TREAT YOU GOOD NOW DIDN'T I" but the background says NEVER ONCE DID I EVER MAKE YOU CRY NOW DIDN'T I. Levi probably should've said that since the first verse already had "DIDN'T I TREAT YOU RIGHT NOW BABY DIDN'T I, DIDN'T I DO THE BEST I COULD NOW DIDN'T I"
    Great observation ,great ears! It took me years to learn what they were singing in the background on "Bernadette". Did you ever notice the extra verse the Tops always sang with "I Can't Help Myself" only when the sang it live? They would sing "Each day love gets a little stronger, each heartache last a little longer.....I can't help myself". That is not on the recording.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Did you ever notice the extra verse the Tops always sang with "I Can't Help Myself" only when the sang it live? They would sing "Each day love gets a little stronger, each heartache last a little longer.....I can't help myself". That is not on the recording.
    Marv, those lyrics are on the Fourever and Motown Box sets' versions of the song.
    Last edited by rovereab; 10-05-2018 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    Marv, those lyrics are on the Fourever and Motown Box sets' versions of the song.
    Hey thanks Roverab. I have that box set but have not played it in a while. I use to put it in the car for long trips. I had always assumed that that was the way they first learned the song and recorded it. Later it was edited out of the single release.

Great observation ,great ears! It took me years to learn what they were singing in the background on "Bernadette". Did you ever notice the extra verse the Tops always sang with "I Can't Help Myself" only when the sang it live? They would sing "Each day love gets a little stronger, each heartache last a little longer.....I can't help myself". That is not on the recording.
    Oh absolutely. No idea why those background vocals were mixed out of I CAN'T HELP MYSELF. The lyrics were re used in the Supremes MOTHER DEAR.

Oh absolutely. No idea why those background vocals were mixed out of I CAN'T HELP MYSELF. The lyrics were re used in the Supremes MOTHER DEAR.
    Hey! That's right!! They did use those particular lyrics in "Mother Dear". You are too cool. Thanks Fourtopsbiggestfan

Possibly because they were an embellishment too far. That’s meant to be an instrumental break. A similar decision was made for “You Keep Running Away” but in that case the break started out as a chorus but ended up as instrumental. Sometimes things are better stripped back. “Who’s Loving You” by the J5 anyone?

Hey! That's right!! They did use those particular lyrics in "Mother Dear". You are too cool. Thanks Fourtopsbiggestfan
    Oh thank you. I wish. You're too nice. You folks here are the cool ones.