[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Was that when Mary Wilson ran off with Ian Levines $10,000. He was so upset.
    Mary wasn't the only one who took an advance and didn't follow it through.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    I never read anywhere that they were invited and failed to appear. Like poor Marv Johnson ---- he was not invited and totally overlooked.
    I can think of another act.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Truth be told, Mr. Gordy was livid with her[Diana Ross] that night. He even barred her from attending the after party across the street from the theater at a shopping mall. LOL!

Please provide a credible link to Mr Gordy barring Diane Ross from attending the party.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Yes, that statement surprised me too. Marv stated it as fact, not opinion. I have read a lot of Motown books and never heard of Berry barring Diana from the after party – or any party. I even did a search, but could not find any info. I am curious to know if it is true and would love it if Marv replied to your request, but Marv is omnipotent here and does not have to back up the statements that he posts as facts. So don't expect a repy
    Oh Im not Milven. Many people have asked him for years to provide credible links to many things hes posted like the tall tale about Diana Ross losing all her money to Bernie Madoff. Not one link was ever sent and if you serach google NOTHING comes up. But hey, its all part of his fantasy to to trash the legacy of Miss Diana Ross which is going to impossible given the honors and awards shes picked up over the decades.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    It wasn’t Diana that barred but mary. The one he thinks is without fault or blemish 🙄
    Well, to read that Berry banned Diana from anything sounded very odd. If true, Marv will answer. If not, he will ignore the question. In this era of fake news and alternative facts, we should be used to this type of info, but in any case, Marv is allowed to post whatever he wants here without consequences.

Getting back on topic, I know it is all about the ratings, and perhaps some of the early acts would not have been ratings getters , but there were some huge acts in the early days of Motown, such as Martha and the Vandellas, Mary Wells, Marvellettes, Miracles. Martha, Mary and Marvellettes should have been there prominantly.

Getting back on topic, I know it is all about the ratings, and perhaps some of the early acts would not have been ratings getters , but there were some huge acts in the early days of Motown, such as Martha and the Vandellas, Mary Wells, Marvellettes, Miracles. Martha, Mary and Marvellettes should have been there prominantly.
    Yeah but they were almost non-existent in 1983, which was the point. By 1990, there were more interest in them because Motown's classic brand was starting to make money from CDs off their songs. But in March 1983, when Motown 25 was taped, most of these acts were either retired or had played at low-rent bars to make ends meet. I think of this bunch, only Martha and Mary was making some coins off of playing classic oldies in decent venues.

Well, to read that Berry banned Diana from anything sounded very odd. If true, Marv will answer. If not, he will ignore the question. In this era of fake news and alternative facts, we should be used to this type of info, but in any case, Marv is allowed to post whatever he wants here without consequences.
    Don't try to bait me. I already told you.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Don't try to bait me. I already told you.
    Yes, you told me. And if I told you something a lttle off , like James Brown was banned from the Apollo Theatre , wouldn't you ask me to explain or where I heard this info?

That's what I am asking. And you know that. But of course, you do not have to answer as you are omnipotent on this board so you can get by with just anwering "I already told you"

Ok....fact is, there was a lot to be squeezed into one evening, let alone one TV special.
    Ideally, the Motown 25th Salute..it would have been better to do summer replacement or multiple 2 hour specials over the course of a few weeks...Grand Debut/ Ending week shows..Split the headliners....only one non label guest star/newer act per show....Mary Martha and Jr could have been given deserved more time. And everyone that should have been included [[Marvelettes, Kim, Brenda, Rare Earth, RD Taylor, Gladys Knight, Jimmy Ruffin, Barrett Strong, Edwin Starr) could have been featured performing their key contributions. The problem was there was way too much talent and successful, influential material to include in 1 shot....and Tony Bennett should have performed For Once In My Life....that is IMHO the Quessential non label treatment of any Motown song.