[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1

    Barbara McNair's Husband


  2. #2
    I remember reading about it in JET.

  3. #3
    great read ! So Rick Manzie's brother left to buy "groceries" at 4 AM , and then four - five hours later returned to find him dead.
    ( great wedding cake!!!)

    Barbara McNair must have departed Motown on less then friendly terms in 1969?? I see that same year she began her own variety show (overlapping with Motown, or after?), that ran until 1972, but of the guests mentioned in wiki, nary a one from Motown.
    A missed promotional outlet on Motown's part.

    Love the way she lived out her later years , playing tennis and skiing. Fits her public persona perfectly.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 10-02-2018 at 06:25 PM.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I remember reading about it in JET.
    I was about to say, I remember that story from JET.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    great read ! So Rick Manzie's brother left to buy "groceries" at 4 AM , and then four - five hours later returned to find him dead.
    ( great wedding cake!!!)

    Barbara McNair must have departed Motown on less then friendly terms in 1969?? I see that same year she began her own variety show (overlapping with Motown, or after?), that ran until 1972, but of the guests mentioned in wiki, nary a one from Motown.
    A missed promotional outlet on Motown's part.

    Love the way she lived out her later years , playing tennis and skiing. Fits her public persona perfectly.
    I have vague remembrances of her show. I remember Freda Payne being on there.

  6. #6
    Both the Four Tops: June 21. 1970 with "This Guy`s In Love With You" and the Supremes March 15. 1970. appeared.

  7. #7
    Wow, I had no idea about this. Honestly it sounds like some sort of film. Fascinating.

  8. #8

  9. #9
    I don't recall Motown promoting any of her records. Back then I had heard that Barbara McNair was "mobbed up" and then a lot of people thought Motown was controlled by the "mob".

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    thanks for remembering that marybrewster.
    This supports my suspicion that things did not go well between McNair and Motown. Too bad. I bet when she secured a weekly tv show , there were regrets a new contract hadn't been secured or at least there hadn't been bad blood created.

    Come to think of it , did Motown ever pitch a variety show of their own??
    Now that smacks of missed opportunity. Imagine each week rotating the hosting to feature various Motown names.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 10-03-2018 at 03:16 PM.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    thanks for remembering that marybrewster.
    This supports my suspicion that things did not go well between McNair and Motown. Too bad. I bet when she secured a weekly tv show , there were regrets a new contract hadn't been secured or at least there hadn't been bad blood created.

    Come to think of it , did Motown ever pitch a variety show of their own??
    Now that smacks of missed opportunity. Imagine each week rotating the hosting to feature various Motown names.
    Motown signed a number of very well known variety artists and then did nothing with them. Remember Lola Falana? They also caused themselves a LOT of hard feelings among these artists in later years.

  12. #12
    It's possible to get The Barbara McNair Show on DVD as in this example -


    https://www.amazon.co.uk/BARBARA-MCN...ra+mcnair+show

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    thanks for remembering that marybrewster.
    This supports my suspicion that things did not go well between McNair and Motown. Too bad. I bet when she secured a weekly tv show , there were regrets a new contract hadn't been secured or at least there hadn't been bad blood created.

    Come to think of it , did Motown ever pitch a variety show of their own??
    Now that smacks of missed opportunity. Imagine each week rotating the hosting to feature various Motown names.
    They had a series in 1985, THE MOTOWN REVUE STARRING SMOKEY ROBINSON. Most of the guests had Motown connections, like Diana Ross, the Four Tops, Mary Wells, etc. but some non-Motown performers like Ray Charles and Chaka Khan appeared as well.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    It's possible to get The Barbara McNair Show on DVD as in this example -


    https://www.amazon.co.uk/BARBARA-MCN...ra+mcnair+show
    I bought this a while back. There are many great performances on it.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    They had a series in 1985, THE MOTOWN REVUE STARRING SMOKEY ROBINSON. Most of the guests had Motown connections, like Diana Ross, the Four Tops, Mary Wells, etc. but some non-Motown performers like Ray Charles and Chaka Khan appeared as well.
    Interesting .Kind of retro by that date. The time to do that would've been best when they were a new name in Hollywood when variety shows were a common concept.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 10-04-2018 at 04:44 PM.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    They had a series in 1985, THE MOTOWN REVUE STARRING SMOKEY ROBINSON. Most of the guests had Motown connections, like Diana Ross, the Four Tops, Mary Wells, etc. but some non-Motown performers like Ray Charles and Chaka Khan appeared as well.
    Yes I remember that. I also remember that Lily Tomlin (also from Detroit) was scheduled to appear. She wanted to participate in a skit/segment with Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong. Suzanne DePasse refused to have the Supreme ladies on the show and with that Lily cancelled her appearance.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Yes I remember that. I also remember that Lily Tomlin (also from Detroit) was scheduled to appear. She wanted to participate in a skit/segment with Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong. Suzanne DePasse refused to have the Supreme ladies on the show and with that Lily cancelled her appearance.
    wow would love to know what the concept of that skit was. Surely it was to feature Lily as the other Supreme.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.