[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: 20 Grand Size

20 Grand Size

How big were the Driftwood and Fireside Lounge rooms in the 20 Grand?

How many people do you think would have fit?

[[Did anyone on this list ever go there?)

I think the Driftwood could be expanded to about 1,200.

good question....I don't think the Copa was all that big either....the Supper Club circuit seemed to have a ton of relatively low capacity rooms.

From the attached link it would seem that the official capacity of the ballroom was 3,000, but in its heyday it was not uncommon for up to 7,000 patrons to be present.

https://heritage.umich.edu/stories/b...the-graystone/

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    good question....I don't think the Copa was all that big either....the Supper Club circuit seemed to have a ton of relatively low capacity rooms.

I've been to the original Copa and it was small......... The New Copa that opened in the 90s was two stories and about 3 times the size of the old one.

Thanks so much for all of these responses.

There were multiple rooms in the 20 Grand, right? The Driftwood Lounge, the Fireside Lounge and the Gold room? I'm wondering if anyone knows the relative sizes of these. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Interesting to hear that the original Copa was so small. My notes tell me that the Copa was about 800 at its biggest. Does this seem right?

I'm working on a project to map all of Marvin Gaye's shows with capacities, dates, etc. It's a big project, but really interesting. Not easy info to find...

Quote Originally Posted by lefty View Post
    Thanks so much for all of these responses.

There were multiple rooms in the 20 Grand, right? The Driftwood Lounge, the Fireside Lounge and the Gold room? I'm wondering if anyone knows the relative sizes of these. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Interesting to hear that the original Copa was so small. My notes tell me that the Copa was about 800 at its biggest. Does this seem right?

I'm working on a project to map all of Marvin Gaye's shows with capacities, dates, etc. It's a big project, but really interesting. Not easy info to find...
    Lefty, in regards to the Copa. When you say 800 do mean sq. ft.? The original Copa showroom looked like twice the size of a large residential living room!