[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

So what's REALLY in a "name"?

I remember a kinda weird conversation I had with a former manager of mine, while passing the time during a slow winter's day at the garden center many years ago...

We were discussing the names of groups back in the day, and then he asked me:

What's a "Drell"? I thought about it for a moment, and wound up clueless...

So I asked him, "I dunno, what exactly is a "Delphonic"?

We know what a "Temptation" is, also a "Supreme"..and a "Superlative"....but the rest ain't in the dictionary....

So what, pray tell is a "Velvelette"? a "Tabulation"?

How did these names even come about?

I don't know how all of these names came about, but I think it all comes down to knowing the history of the groups.

The Delfonics were originally called the Orphonics. When Stan Watson signed them to his local Philly Groove label they became the former. Stan had sang with a group called the Dell Vikings, so he combined the front of his group's name with the end of their name.

Company employees gave The Temptations and The Supremes their names. Janie Bradford and a guy named Bill Mitchell gets the credit for those. The Velvelettes acquired that name due to their exceptional ability to harmonise. They were smooth,like Velvet so thus they took on that identity.

Hope this helped. I suggest just reading the bios of the group's through Wikipedia or a music oriented website.
    Last edited by Quinn; 10-01-2018 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GrtGzu View Post
    I remember a kinda weird conversation I had with a former manager of mine, while passing the time during a slow winter's day at the garden center many years ago...

We know what a "Temptation" is, also a "Supreme"..and a "Superlative"....but the rest ain't in the dictionary....

They came about because they sounded good, they sounded cool. Most of the people that came up with those names were just kids at the time.

Some names either were for marketing, to get the group a "standout name" or they couldn't think of anything so they picked a name that seemed to fit.

In the Doo Wop Era of the 1950s and early 60s, many groups took the names of a variety of birds, automobiles and cigarettes! It was all about "cool", what sounded cool and hip.
    Last edited by marv2; 10-02-2018 at 01:39 AM.

The Tabulations got their name from the idea of tabulating a large fortune! As in “we’ll be tabulating so much once we have a hit record”!

I love the fact the O'Jays became the O'Jays [[forget their original name, probably Mascots?) because their local deejay had the name Eddie O'Jay lol [[apparently it was a marketing decision so they could get their songs on the radio)

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  21.1 KB
    Welvel [[pronounced "Velvel"), is the Yiddish for of the diminutive for German "Wilhelm", or Dutch "Willem", or English "William", analogous to "Willy". So "Velvelettes" could be the female sister group of the male "Willies".

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I love the fact the O'Jays became the O'Jays [[forget their original name, probably Mascots?) because their local deejay had the name Eddie O'Jay lol [[apparently it was a marketing decision so they could get their songs on the radio)
Views: 539
    Yes, The O'Jays were originally The Mascots.

Hi Robb!

How are you doing?

When I did the research for the possible O'Jays story [[which still is pending), I came across also such names as The Levert Brothers [[Eddie, Walter...) -> the Imperials [[this is not confirmed) -> the Triumphs [[Eddie, William, Bobby and Bill) -> the Mascots.

Best regards
    Heikki

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 539
    Yes, The O'Jays were originally The Mascots.

now THAT, I did NOT know!! and they're from my hometown too....

How'd I miss this?

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    The Tabulations got their name from the idea of tabulating a large fortune! As in “we’ll be tabulating so much once we have a hit record”!
    LOL!! ​wonder if it was "right on the tip of their tongue"?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    In the Doo Wop Era of the 1950s and early 60s, many groups took the names of a variety of birds, automobiles and cigarettes! It was all about "cool", what sounded cool and hip.
    ​oh yeah, that much I figured out, lol!! and they had some really cool names too...

[QUOTE=midnightman;483025]Some names either were for marketing, to get the group a "standout name" or they couldn't think of anything so they picked a name that seemed to fit.[/QUOTE

know what's funny? I can't even remember the name we had for our little "singing group" we had for the talent show back in junior high....

guess we didn't stand out so much eh?

yet, we still "killed it" when we sang "Want Ads"....had dance steps too!

Sounds like the names people pick for their kids. They look at a car and call their kid "Toyotah", or try to sound "ethnic" and call the kid "Laquindasha". Before one of you get ticked off, yeah, it happens a lot. It probably happened a lot more in the 80s and 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Sounds like the names people pick for their kids. They look at a car and call their kid "Toyotah", or try to sound "ethnic" and call the kid "Laquindasha". Before one of you get ticked off, yeah, it happens a lot. It probably happened a lot more in the 80s and 90s.
    I know it happens. I actually met a young woman who's name was "Noxema". LOL!

now THAT, I did NOT know!! and they're from my hometown too....

How'd I miss this?
Views: 493
    They had a few excellent releases out on King before their name change, Here's one:

Attachment 14686
    Here's another:

Attachment 14686
    Here's another:

Attachment 14686
    Here's their first release as The O'Jays, recorded at United Sound Systems in Detroit by Don Davis, of DaCo/Thelma Records. It was ex-Motown songwriter/session guitarist, and later owner of Groovesville, Groove City, Solid Hitbound Productions, and chief A&R man of Stax Records, who suggested to Mascots' manager, Eddie OJay, that the group change their name to The O'Jays.

I'm always fastinated by the history of group names,and some names fit like a glove-the drifters[how many guys have drifted in an out of that group]..the temptations[have been temptin fans since-1961]..the coasters[west coast-originally-the robins].

Remember the Penguins, the Flamingos, the Falcons and the Larks?

The Trashmen

Robins and Ravens and Wrens oh my!
    Last edited by lockhartgary; 10-02-2018 at 08:52 PM.

Views: 441
    Cadillacs, Ramblers, Edsels, Chryslers, Imperials, Packards, Thunderbirds, V-8s, Stick Shifts, Corvairs, Comets,
    Last edited by robb_k; 10-03-2018 at 12:42 AM.

Remember the Penguins, the Flamingos, the Falcons and the Larks?
Views: 421
    The Orioles, Five Bluejays, Bluejays, Bluebirds, Jay-Tones, Warblers, Bobby Byrd & The Birds, The Larktones, The Dixie Hummingbirds, Hawks, Parrots, The Five Owls, Condors, Songbirds, Parakeets, Wings, Five Wings, The Feathers, Flock of Seagulls, Swallows, Wrens, Meadowlarks, Kingfishers, Chickadees, Sparrows, Cardinals,
    Last edited by robb_k; 10-03-2018 at 12:46 AM.

Views: 430
    The Five Keys, High Keys, Clefs, G-Clefs, Four Tunes, Five Notes, Notes, Tones, Tonettes, Blendtones, Five Blends, Keynotes, Andantes, Top Notes, Five Scales, Scaletones, The Harmonicats, Mello-Tones, Melody Kings, Melodeers, Magictones, Five Blue Notes, Blue Notes, Happy-Tones, Aquatones, Lovetones, Love-Tones, Keytones, Master Keys, Keymasters, Acapellas, Jivetones, anthems, Goldentones, Ivy-Tones, Five Plaid Throats, Honeytones, Ocapellos, Castinettes, Glowtones, Serenades, Serenaders, Sounds, Five Sounds, Love Notes, Chords, Five Chords, Rip Chords, Five Bars, Four Bars,
    Last edited by robb_k; 10-03-2018 at 03:08 AM.

Views: 433
    Kings, Four Kings, Five Kings, Dukes, Earls, Counts, The Dukays, The Dukes of Dixiland, The Marquis, The Markees, The Sultans, The Five Emperors, The Emperors, The Presidents, The Premiers, The Viceroys, Leaders, Royals, Royal Jokers, Royal Jesters, Princesses, Contessas, Five Royales, Superiors, Royaltones, Glowtones, Four Queens, Maharajahs, Emperors, Five Imperials, Imperial Wonders, Executives, Primes, Primettes, Regals, Regents, Paramounts, Supremes, Superlatives, Five Crowns, Crowns, Arthur Lee Maye & Crowns,
    Last edited by robb_k; 10-03-2018 at 01:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    robins and ravens and wrens oh my!
    yep! Lol!!!!!

Cadillacs, Ramblers, Edsels, Chryslers, Imperials, Packards,
    Robb! Remember the Impalas' and "Sorry I Ran All the Home"? LOL!

The Orioles, Five Bluejays, Bluebirds, Jay-Tones, Warblers, Bobby Byrd & The Birds, The Larktones, The Dixie Hummingbirds, Hawks, Parrots, The Five Owls, Condors,
    What was it about the bird names? The Eagles [[the Band) even chose a bird name.

Attachment 14689
    Kings, Four Kings, Five Kings, Dukes, Earls, Counts, The Dukays, The Dukes of Dixiland, The Marquis, The Markees, The Sultans, The Five Emperors, The Emperors, The Presidents, The Premiers, The Viceroys,
    I forgot about this grouping. I would call them "The Royals" LOL!!!!

Cadillacs, Ramblers, Edsels, Chryslers, Imperials, Packards,
    There was also The Corvettes, The Corsairs, The El Dorados, The Firebirds, The Fleetwoods,

Views: 430
    Moonglows, Starglows, Sunny & Sunglows, Glows, Gleams, Five Stars, Silvers, Sylvers, Diamonds, Emeralds, Opals, Gems, Pearls, Sapphires, Rubies, Jewels, Five Emeralds, Luther Bond & The Emeralds,
    Last edited by robb_k; 10-03-2018 at 03:19 AM.

Attachment 14689
    Moonglows, Starglows, Sunny & Sunglows, Glows, Gleams, Five Stars, Silvers, Sylvers, Diamonds, Emeralds, Opals, Gems, Pearls, Sapphires, Rubies,
    This is pretty comprehensive. I'm going to have to really think of who I could add to this list.

Views: 428
    Jive Bombers, Bombers, Explosions, Volcanos, Exciters, Excitements,
    Last edited by robb_k; 10-03-2018 at 01:15 AM.

Views: 431
    Temptations, Notations, Invitations, Imaginations, Ronny & Relations, Ovations, Conditions, Missions, Rotations, Hesitations, Cremations [[Punk), Creations, Innovations, Equations, Lovations, Admirations, Vareeations, Foundations, Citations, Exceptions, Devotions, Emotions, Potions,
    Last edited by robb_k; 10-03-2018 at 01:13 AM.

Views: 429
    Spiders, Bees, Lions, Spaniels, Greyhounds, Honey Bees, Hornets, Ladybugs, Colts, Bull & Matadors, The Black Sheep, Bullmoose Jackson & His Buffalo Bearcats, Jaguars, Rams, Bumble Bees, B. Bumble & Stingers, Crickets [[R&B group), Fireflies,
    Last edited by robb_k; 10-03-2018 at 01:09 AM.

Attachment 14689
    Moonglows, Starglows, Sunny & Sunglows, Glows, Gleams, Five Stars, Silvers, Sylvers, Diamonds, Emeralds, Opals, Gems, Pearls, Sapphires, Rubies,
    Ok, here's one. The Jewelettes!

Attachment 14689
    Temptations, Notations, Invitations, Imaginations, Ronny & Relations, Ovations, Conditions, Missions, Rotations, Hesitations, Cremations [[Punk), Creations,
    Vito and the Salutations!

The Pirates, The Corsairs, Otis & Barbarians, Raiders [[ATCO), Paul Revere & Raiders, Camel Drivers, Messengers, Cap-Tans, Captains,
    Last edited by robb_k; 10-02-2018 at 11:50 PM.

Attachment 14689
    Spiders, Lions,
    The Monkees!

Attachment 14689
    The Pirates, The Corsairs, Otis & Barbarians, Raiders [[ATCO), Paul Revere & Raiders,
    The Gypsy Kings!

Views: 420
    Drifters, Wanderers, Wayward Wanderers, New Wanderers, Rover Boys, Five Rovers, Rovers, Salem Travelers, Pilgrim Travelers, Travelers,
    Last edited by robb_k; 10-03-2018 at 01:14 AM.

Views: 444
    Fabulous Counts, Fabulous Apollos, Fabulous Playboys, Famous Flames, Fabulous Flames, Fantastic Baggys, Magnificents, Fantastics, Fabulettes, Fabulons,
    Last edited by robb_k; 10-03-2018 at 12:35 AM.

Views: 568
    Hollywood Flames, Hollywood Saxons, Hollywood Persuasions, Hollywood Argyles, Village People, Village Callers, Townsmen, Californians, Detroit Executives, Detroit Land Apples, Chi-Lites, Watts 103rd Street Band, Bay Bops, D.C. Playboys, D.C. Blossoms, Philadelphians, New Yorkers, Chicago, Buffalo Bearcats, Ohio Untouchables, Ohio Players, Basin Street Boys, Deep River Boys, Delta Rhythm Boys, Marylanders,
    Last edited by robb_k; 10-03-2018 at 01:08 AM.

The Gypsy Kings!
Views: 420
    They could be in the Royalty Section, too!
    Last edited by robb_k; 10-03-2018 at 12:35 AM.

Attachment 14689
    Moonglows, Starglows, Sunny & Sunglows, Glows, Gleams, Five Stars, Silvers, Sylvers, Diamonds, Emeralds, Opals, Gems, Pearls, Sapphires, Rubies, Jewels,
    I got another one! The Bangles! LOL!

Attachment 14689
    Moonglows, Starglows, Sunny & Sunglows, Glows, Gleams, Five Stars, Silvers, Sylvers, Diamonds, Emeralds, Opals, Gems, Pearls, Sapphires, Rubies, Jewels,
    Pearl Jam.

Attachment 14702
    Aces, Four Aces, Deuces, Four Aces, Jacks, Four Queens, Four Deuces, Jolly Jacks, Five Jacks, Four Jacks, Kings, Four Kings,