[REMOVE ADS]

Antony Perkins and Stephen Sondheim and Motown Productions

Is there no one who hasn't crossed paths with Motown at some point?

I'm watching a movie on TCM, "The Last Of Sheila". Never heard of it before, but it's interesting. Looking up some background on this for at Wikipedia, I read that it was cooked up by Anthony [["Psycho", "Mahogany") Perkins and composer/lyricist Stephen Sondheim [["West Side Story", "Gypsy"). Then I came across a very interesting tidbit...

In the 1980s Perkins and Sondheim collaborated on another script, the seven part Crime and Variations for Motown Productions. It too was never made.

made.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_of_Sheila
    Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 09-29-2018 at 12:55 AM.

I found this: http://smootpage.blogspot.com/2014/0...eries.html?m=1

I'm aware of two other Sondheim murder mysteries. Crime and Variations was another collaboration with Anthony Perkins, to be broadcast over several nights on cable TV back in the 1980s. The musical technique of "variation" has an analogy in those multiple versions of the same crime that kept Last of Sheila moving. But aside from the reference in Zadan's book, I've never seen any other sign that this project was ever realized.

Note: Sondheim said that he filled in a "laundry list" of requests for The Chorus Girl Murder Case from would-be director Michael Bennett, and "wrote a treatment" with Anthony Perkins, but that's as far as it went. HBO never filmed Crime and Variations, and HBO owns the property. This comes from an interview at Sondheim.com, ca. 1994.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I found this: http://smootpage.blogspot.com/2014/0...eries.html?m=1

I'm aware of two other Sondheim murder mysteries. Crime and Variations was another collaboration with Anthony Perkins, to be broadcast over several nights on cable TV back in the 1980s. The musical technique of "variation" has an analogy in those multiple versions of the same crime that kept Last of Sheila moving. But aside from the reference in Zadan's book, I've never seen any other sign that this project was ever realized.

Note: Sondheim said that he filled in a "laundry list" of requests for The Chorus Girl Murder Case from would-be director Michael Bennett, and "wrote a treatment" with Anthony Perkins, but that's as far as it went. HBO never filmed Crime and Variations, and HBO owns the property. This comes from an interview at Sondheim.com, ca. 1994.

Cool! Thanks for the added info!