[REMOVE ADS]

Aretha Franklin Atlantic Singles-1967-1970

http://media.rhino.com/press-release...ember-28-rhino

I'll be picking up my CD copy this morning. I have already listened to it on Spotify and can 100% confirm that they used all the correct mono singles tapes.

Thanks soulster. I may need to snatch the vinyl version sometime soon.

Just an FYI...the vinyl version excludes 9 of the tracks included on the CD version in order to make it a more affordable 2 LP set.

Thanks for the info. I have been looking forward to this set since it was first announced.

I'm only sorry that they didn't release the single versions of YOU'RE ALL I NEED TO GET BY and OH ME OH MY as they have slightly different endings than the album versions. But I gather that her singles ceased being released in mono after BORDER SONG.

I'm going to campaign to Rhino for a second set dealing with the 70s singles.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    I'm going to campaign to Rhino for a second set dealing with the 70s singles.
    That's great. And while you're at it, consider asking Rhino/WB to do Deluxe 2CD Editions of Aretha Frankin's classic studio albums from 1967 through 1972 [[with both stereo & mono mixes of the first four Atlantic LPs).

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    That's great. And while you're at it, consider asking Rhino/WB to do Deluxe 2CD Editions of Aretha Frankin's classic studio albums from 1967 through 1972 [[with both stereo & mono mixes of the first four Atlantic LPs).
    You know they are available as lossless downloads from HD Tracks and 7-digital, and soon from Quboz U.S.A..

You know they are available as lossless downloads from HD Tracks and 7-digital, and soon from Quboz U.S.A..
    Thanks for the info Soulster. I've checked HD Tracks and I see that they have both the stereo & mono versions of I've Never Loved A Man available separately [[while 7-Digital's US site has the expanded edition of that album in mono). However, I prefer a physical 'deluxe edition' release on Aretha's first four albums on Atlantic [[just as Rhino/WB did for the 2CD editions of Otis Redding's Otis Blue & Dictionary Of Soul).

Does anyone know if there are annotated notes on each of the songs...like writers, players on the session, session dates, chart positions etc. Is there a booklet? Is the remastering better?
    I have the Rhino/Atlantic box set [[4 CDs) Aretha Franklin Queen of Soul, the Atlantic Recordings. Not sure of the date.
    Thanks,
    Lorne

Quote Originally Posted by drlorne View Post
    Does anyone know if there are annotated notes on each of the songs...like writers, players on the session, session dates, chart positions etc. Is there a booklet? Is the remastering better?
    I have the Rhino/Atlantic box set [[4 CDs) Aretha Franklin Queen of Soul, the Atlantic Recordings. Not sure of the date.
    Thanks,
    Lorne
    I haven't played it so I cannot comment on the sound, but there is a booklet with personnel credits and dates. There are notes by David Nathan. Nothing special when it comes to photos, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    However, I prefer a physical 'deluxe edition' release on Aretha's first four albums on Atlantic [[just as Rhino/WB did for the 2CD editions of Otis Redding's Otis Blue & Dictionary Of Soul).
    Time to hit the used CD stores.

Quote Originally Posted by drlorne View Post
    Thanks,
    Lorne
    The sound of these tracks is amazing! They are the original mono singles that were mixed differently from the stereo mixes. The sound is clean and clear.

Still waiting for those last 3 or 4 Atlantic LP's on cd.
    Maybe the family will get to that

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    Still waiting for those last 3 or 4 Atlantic LP's on cd.
    Maybe the family will get to that
    Maybe, maybe not. Aretha obtained the rights to the tapes so no one could ever hear them again. I can see the family honoring her wishes if things don't happen and they go into probate.

I don't know if "Almighty Fire" is one of those four albums, but I have it, and it's not very good, despite the title track almost hitting the Billboard Soul top 10.

The quote below is from 2012:

Franklin’s label, Aretha’s Records, has entered into a deal with Universal Music Group for the expansion and reissue of With Everything I Feel in Me [[1974), You [[1975), Sweet Passion [[1977), Almighty Fire [[1978) and La Diva [[1979). The Queen of Soul’s deal with Universal will not impact her recently-announced contract with Sony’s Clive Davis [[a mastermind of her successful 1980s “comeback”) for new material, but Friedman states that the Universal agreement might encompass further vault material and even new artist signings in the future.
    https://theseconddisc.com/2012/06/al...st-time-on-cd/
    Last edited by smallworld; 10-02-2018 at 11:18 AM.

I finally got around to listening to this set yesterday and I must say that the sound is amazing. Having long since stopped listening to my scratchy 45s, I forgot how much punch some of these singles had in their mono versions.

It is also nice to have single edits of I SAY A LITTLE PRAYER, CALL ME, and SPIRIT IN THE DARK, as I sometimes make my own cassette collections of various artists and run out of room. I must say though that the single edit of THE THRILL IS GONE was badly done. I hadn't heard it in years. I know they did it as they liked to have singles run under four minutes, but they really messed that one up.

Maybe, maybe not. Aretha obtained the rights to the tapes so no one could ever hear them again. I can see the family honoring her wishes if things don't happen and they go into probate.

I don't know if "Almighty Fire" is one of those four albums, but I have it, and it's not very good, despite the title track almost hitting the Billboard Soul top 10.
    Yeah, the Almighty Fire album is a bit disappointing compared to Ree and Curtis' previous collaboration. However, the title track is an underrated cut IMO. It had to grow on me but I love it.