[REMOVE ADS]

"Diana Ross Takes On The Beatles" [[early 70s unrelased album)

I've read sometime ago somewhere that Motown had planned to release an album called "Diana Ross Takes On The Beatles" in the early 1970s, but it finally was canceled. Among the songs that were intended to release are: Something, Let It Be, All You Need Is Love, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, A Day In The Life and others previously released like The Long And Widing Road and Come Together.

Any information about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Diana Ross Fan Club View Post
    I've read sometime ago somewhere that Motown had planned to release an album called "Diana Ross Takes On The Beatles" in the early 1970s, but it finally was canceled. Among the songs that were intended to release are: Something, Let It Be, All You Need Is Love, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, A Day In The Life and others previously released like The Long And Widing Road and Come Together.

Any information about it?
    I have heard this before but i don't know if any tracks were ever laid down so i am not sure if it was ever seriously considered.

Ew, why would Motown want to destroy her career like that?

In the booklet for the EVERYTHING IS EVERYTHING expanded edition, producer Deke Richards mentions this briefly but doesn't elaborate beyond saying that he was going to save COME TOGETHER and THE LONG AND WINDING ROAD for the project. It didn't sound like it went any further than that.

alanbill1074 Guest
    I love her version of Come Together but otherwise, what an awful idea. Too many “themed” 60s albums, and the whole concept was passé in the 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    In the booklet for the EVERYTHING IS EVERYTHING expanded edition, producer Deke Richards mentions this briefly but doesn't elaborate beyond saying that he was going to save COME TOGETHER and THE LONG AND WINDING ROAD for the project. It didn't sound like it went any further than that.
    And SOMETHING of course. That was the song I was looking forward to the most when the expanded edition of EIE was announced. Ross sings it nicely but the production is a bit too Las Vegas.

Hmm Everything Is Everything
    I remember when Fans would pay big $$ just to get this on CD. Seems like not so long ago but we have come a long way. It was almost like a love/hate reaction to the LP at one time. I remember loving everything on the album except the title song.

I'm not a fan of the Beatles recordings, but I think they were excellent songwriters and I love a lot of their songs covered by someone else. In theory Diana Ross covering an album's worth of their songs would seem like a good move. Unfortunately her solo Beatles covers don't do a whole lot for me. Her version of "Come Together" is the only version I find decent enough to listen to, but I'm still not knocked out over it. "Long and Winding Road" is sweet enough, but nothing innovative and special. "Something" is probably my fav of her Beatles covers, but still not saying a lot. [[Pales in comparison to my favorite version of "Something" by Faith, Hope and Charity.) Even her cover of Lennon's "Imagine" is probably the one song on TMITM that I skip. The producers were going to have to come better than this.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    I remember when Fans would pay big $$ just to get this on CD. Seems like not so long ago but we have come a long way. It was almost like a love/hate reaction to the LP at one time. I remember loving everything on the album except the title song.
    Definitely underrated among fans, IMO. I love the album too, all except the two Beatles numbers. But I can listen to the entire album without much skipping. A solid album that had no chance with the way Motown screwed up the release.

Ew, why would Motown want to destroy her career like that?
    I love her version of Come Together but otherwise, what an awful idea.
    Lol. I have to agree with these opinions. Especially as it seemed to be planned not long after Everything Is Everything.
    I would love to hear Diana Ross' interpretations of some Lennon/McCartney and Harrison songs. For example, better realized versions of "I Will" [[love this song), "Something" & "The Long & Winding Road". Her "Come Together" was fine but I think "Let It Be" is meant for Aretha. Ross singing "All You Need Is Love" is intriguing, and "Good Day Sunshine" and "Got to Get You Into My Life" always had a Motown feel to them anyway. But "A Day In The Life"?! How about "I Am The Walrus"?!!!
    Last edited by lucky2012; 09-24-2018 at 11:03 AM.

Hey RanRan. I guess I was writing the above just as you were posting. I know you like EIE. I agree that Diana's "Something" and "Long & Winding Road" weren't special enough. I do like Diana's "Imagine", though. Any good singer can sing that song well. Diana's is a tender, poignant lullaby, especially in the setting of To The Baby.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Yes. I remember that too! It was like so much money in America. I wanted it so bad and someone in Europe sent me a copy. I was so happy. Lol

How about Diana singing If I Fell or And I Love Him [[Her)?

Looks like it was planned but never went further than the Beatles stuff she ended up doing?