[REMOVE ADS]

"Let's Get Into Something"

You may be familiar with the David Ruffin version of this Van McCoy song from "Everything's Coming Up Love" in 1976 ...

The year before, the song had been issued as a single on the UK Bradley's label by Polly Browne & Sweet Dreams. Polly was a very versatile singer who, at times, sounded a lot like Dionne Warwicke and sometimes even like Jean Terrell as she does on this one. Polly Browne had several hits with Pickettywitch in the 70s.

Last edited by mysterysinger; 09-17-2018 at 06:36 PM.

And here's "Do You Know Where You're Going To" - sometimes her name was spelt Brown rather than Browne.

Agree about Polly sounding like Dionne.

As part of Sweet Dreams she had a UK hit with Abba’s “Honey Honey” between ABBA being seen as a Eurovision one hit wonder and then proving to the UK that they weren’t with “S.O.S.”

And I thought that this thread was going to be about the alternative version of “Everybody Party All Night” by Chairmen Of The Board. [[Sigh)

Yes I do like those Chairmen too! Norman's voice was so distinctive but they all sang fine.

I LOVE the David Ruffin version of this song, but had no idea there was a recording by someone else that predated it! How did this group come by the song before David had even released his version?

Anyway, it's a pretty good version, shame though that the sound quality isn't great.

Quote Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
    Agree about Polly sounding like Dionne.

As part of Sweet Dreams she had a UK hit with Abba’s “Honey Honey” between ABBA being seen as a Eurovision one hit wonder and then proving to the UK that they weren’t with “S.O.S.”

And I thought that this thread was going to be about the alternative version of “Everybody Party All Night” by Chairmen Of The Board. [[Sigh)
    Ooh Soto I didn't know there was an alternate version of that Chairmen song. And I thought I had all of the Chairmen's Invictus recordings!!

It's available on a CD on Castle Records called "The Best Of Chairmen Of The Board". The whole album runs slightly fast and the tapes sound 10 generations old, i.e. not top quality.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chairmen-Bo...rd+the+best+of

Track 18 is the full-length "Everybody Party All Night" but instead of singing "Everybody party all night" The General sings what I thought was "Let's Get Into Something All Night" but on listening this morning he's actually singing "Let Met Get To Something All Night".

There's also what sounds like a mono mix of "Finders Keepers" on it.

Certainly worth having from a collector's point of view.

I wonder what the story is behind these tracks. General Johnson was once dismissive of "Skin I'm In" as being some leftover tracks but I'm not so sure about the truth of that. There's a clear musical direction on the album and it certainly sounds vocally more finished than parts of, say, "Let It Be" by The Beatles. This suggests that at least he was a full participant in the sessions and it's a rather good album that's miles away from the traditional Invictus H-D-H sound.
    Last edited by Sotosound; 09-19-2018 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Added info

Well oowee I just happen to have that Best Of Chairmen CD. Must check it out.

To Mysterysinger: I love Polly Brown’s version of "Let’s Get Into Something" as much as I love David Rufin’s Motown version. [[I never got the Dionne Warwick connection, but Polly does, at times, sound like Jean Terrell to me – especially on "Up In A Puff Of Smoke".)

In 1975, Van McCoy also produced a slightly slowed-down but equally beautiful version of "Let’s Get Into Something" on a group called Richmond Extension on the Polydor label. Have a listen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a25yq3HvWMo

[[Thanks to Tim Everett for uploading to YouTube.)
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 09-26-2018 at 04:29 PM.

To Tommy Tomato: See my post just above to Mysterysinger.

In 1974, Van McCoy also produced a slowed-down but equally beautiful version of David Ruffin’s "Everything’s Coming Up Love" on Richmond Extension on the Silver Blue Label.

Here it is for your listening pleasure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhQkI2YwF4M

[[Thanks to G Man for posting to YouTube.)

To PassionatePhillesMotownMan GaryGary:

Thank you for that. I remember listening to Richmond Extension's versions of those songs ages ago. Never knew much about the group, don't think they ever had an album released.

"Let's Get Into Something" is good but not as good as David [[of course ) but I have to say I like what Van did with "Everything's Coming Up Love" on the group. Slowed down and mellowed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
    It's available on a CD on Castle Records called "The Best Of Chairmen Of The Board". The whole album runs slightly fast and the tapes sound 10 generations old, i.e. not top quality.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chairmen-Bo...rd+the+best+of

Track 18 is the full-length "Everybody Party All Night" but instead of singing "Everybody party all night" The General sings what I thought was "Let's Get Into Something All Night" but on listening this morning he's actually singing "Let Met Get To Something All Night".

There's also what sounds like a mono mix of "Finders Keepers" on it.

Certainly worth having from a collector's point of view.

I wonder what the story is behind these tracks. General Johnson was once dismissive of "Skin I'm In" as being some leftover tracks but I'm not so sure about the truth of that. There's a clear musical direction on the album and it certainly sounds vocally more finished than parts of, say, "Let It Be" by The Beatles. This suggests that at least he was a full participant in the sessions and it's a rather good album that's miles away from the traditional Invictus H-D-H sound.
    Oh right! Thanks for the info Soto! "Everybody" is not the Invictus sound but is almost definitely the funkiest thang the Chairmen ever recorded.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    To PassionatePhillesMotownMan GaryGary:

Thank you for that. I remember listening to Richmond Extension's versions of those songs ages ago. Never knew much about the group, don't think they ever had an album released.

"Let's Get Into Something" is good but not as good as David [[of course ) but I have to say I like what Van did with "Everything's Coming Up Love" on the group. Slowed down and mellowed out.
    You're very welcome, Tom! And, yes, the slow, mellowed version of "Everything's Coming Up Love" is really pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Oh right! Thanks for the info Soto! "Everybody" is not the Invictus sound but is almost definitely the funkiest thang the Chairmen ever recorded.
    And from “Bittersweet” to “Skin I’m In” they switched styles from the near-retro Invictus house style to a leading edge funk-soaked extravaganza.

Possibly too much for for the 1974 mainstream?

The title track even uses the bag as a instrument at a time when it was mainly used as a new rock guitarist’s accessory.